H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
If I ever load mine for bear defense, it will be loaded with the new Swift A-Frame 10mm bullets.
Nearly 60, and senile already?

Quite possibly. What did I miss?
Sticky, expanding bullets at mediocre velocity out of a handgun is the opposite of what you want against a bear. You want to break things, and make deep holes.

I'm sure the Swifts are great in hunting scenarios. But they'll never penetrate as deeply or as straight as a non-expanding bullet.

The partition in these rests very far forward, so you don't get dramatic expansion, but enough to create a larger diameter permanent wound cavity. You'd obviously lose a little penetration, but I don't think it's enough to matter. I'd definitely do some testing before I adopted a load.
One aspect of terminal ballistics physics that a lot of people seem to miss is that it takes energy to deform a bullet. The energy spent on deforming a bullet is energy it doesn't have to destroy tissue. If the bullet doesn't deform, all the energy it has goes into destroying tissue. Bullets that resist deformation don't necessarily create smaller wound channels, either. That is a function of their fluid displacement properties.

Are you 100% certain that a 200 grain 10mm hard cast bullet will create a significantly larger crush cavity in vital tissue than a 200 grain 10mm Swift A-Frame? If so, how did you gain knowledge of the Swift's crush cavity?
Crush cavity? Tissue damage? We're talking bear defense. If the discussion turns to crushed flesh and tissue damage, it'll be yours.

We're talking handgun bullets, here. You better hope the hole is LONG enough to break some shiit down. If you're hoping for a quick bleed-out, again, it'll be yours.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you 100% certain that a 200 grain 10mm hard cast bullet will create a significantly larger crush cavity in vital tissue than a 200 grain 10mm Swift A-Frame? If so, how did you gain knowledge of the Swift's crush cavity?
Crush cavity? Tissue damage? We're talking bear defense. If the discussion turns to crushed flesh and tissue damage, it'll be yours.

We're talking handgun bullets, here. You better hope the hole is LONG enough to break some shiit down. If you're hoping for a quick bleed-out, again, it'll be yours.

That looks like a non answer to me. But it could be my senility keeping me from finding it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Years ago when I had my shop I had a lot of guys that were regular regulars. šŸ˜‚. I got to know many guys and hunt with a few as well but mostly I got a lot of post hunt reports and pictures of their success or lack there of. One guy in particular bought a lot from us through the years and was a decent guy. He hunted the same spot for decades for bear high in the Methow/Okanogan area and heā€™d taken some beautiful bear over the years there. He told me that he carried his Sig .40 with FMJ ā€œfor penetrationā€. I told him that most target ammo is pretty anemic and Iā€™d be wanting something with more power but he wasnā€™t concerned. A week or so later he came into the shop with pictures of the bear heā€™d killed. He told me that heā€™d dropped it with a 200 yard shot from his 7mag but when he got up to it he was still alive. He used his Sig to finish it but he said that after 6 rounds of FMJ it wasnā€™t fazed so he shot it with his rifle at the base of the skull which did it. Upon skinning the bear all 6 FMJā€™s were in the fat on the offside of the hide. All 6 .40s/w rounds never made it into the thoracic cavity, never hit anything vital and didnā€™t penetrate adequately. I saw the pictures or I wouldnā€™t believe it myself.

On the other side of the spectrum Iā€™ve used some of the lightweight extremely fast ā€œboutiqueā€ loadings and Iā€™ve been extremely impressed with their performance. A good friend of mine killed a predatory black bear that was stalking him and harassing him for hours while he was steelhead fishing on the Skykomish river one day. He had been playing cat and mouse with this bad bear trying to get back to the truck but the bear had cut him off. Finally after hours of this the bear was making its move and my buddy was convinced that this was the culmination of the stalk that bear was engaged in. My buddy had his pistol out and was as ready as heā€™d ever be as the bear started towards him in charge modeā€¦my buddy said he fired one shot and was stunned when the bear literally folded mid stride. He put 2 or 3 more into him but he was dead. He was using his Glock 23 and RBCD lightweight high speed ammo. None of his shots hit the bear in the head or CNS. His first shot best he can figure hit the bear in the chest and destroyed the heart that was what stopped that charge. He reported it and waited for WDFW to show up. The game warden couldnā€™t believe that the ammo could be that effective but he was so impressed/curious about it that a week or 2 after that incident he came into my shop and bought some of the same ammunition that my buddy used since we were the only distributor of that ammo line on the West Coast.

Iā€™ve used some of the lightweight high speed RBCD ammo on vermin like raccoons and the wound is incredible. One raccoon I shot with a 90gr .45acp in my Glock 21. I hit it just behind the front left shoulder when I got up to it the right side of the body was goneā€¦.it quite literally blew it in half. Itā€™s the ammo I use to make a small gun into a big gun. It makes a .38spcl or .380acp into a seriously defensive weapon that punches far above its weight. The .380acp will penetrate 1/2ā€ thick AR500 plates. The RBCD ammo would easily penetrate AR500 plates that would stop everything else. The only round other than RBCD that penetrated the AR500 plates was the 7.62x51 AP with the steel penetrator but it was a tiny hole and had no lethality after penetrating the plate where the RBCD 7.62 hole was about twice the caliber size and penetrated a 2x4 behind it.

ļæ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.ļæ½ ļæ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Quick and to the point:

A handgun is underpowered for Brown bear protection.

Since we donā€™t have 500 nitro expresses on us all the time, we carry handguns.

We need the most penetration as possible, since a handgun doesnā€™t reliably penetrate deep enough in all conditions.

Any energy expended doing anything other than pushing the bullet forward is wasted.

Defending against a Brown bear charge is different than hunting. It will be done at extremely short distance, and a heart shot, or lung shot isnā€™t quick enough. The bear may die in the next few seconds or minutes, but youā€™ll be fuqed up too. The bear needs nerves shot, which are protected by bones.

Heavy, non expanding bullets will always be the best bet with a handgun for bear defense, since they will penetrate furthest.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by jwp475
Hard cast bullets and jacketed bullets have to be adequate for the task

Obviously but with all things being equal his experience was that first round hits with HP caused the bear to slow down or stop completely to bite at the wound. When the same thing happened and hard cast was used the bear didnā€™t react to the hit like they did with the hollow points. If time is of the essence and one type of ammo buys me more time then I would venture to say that THAT is the bullet most ā€œadequate for the taskā€.

Both bullets were ā€œadequate for the taskā€ but the reaction from the bear was the point. šŸ‘

Phil Shoemaker shot and killed a 900 pound Brown bear that charged him and his fishing clients with the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman load 147 grain 9mm flat point hard cast. The bear bit at every entrance hole.

I've shot grizzly with hard cast and if the correct bullet is used the effects are immediate

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Years ago when I had my shop I had a lot of guys that were regular regulars. šŸ˜‚. I got to know many guys and hunt with a few as well but mostly I got a lot of post hunt reports and pictures of their success or lack there of. One guy in particular bought a lot from us through the years and was a decent guy. He hunted the same spot for decades for bear high in the Methow/Okanogan area and heā€™d taken some beautiful bear over the years there. He told me that he carried his Sig .40 with FMJ ā€œfor penetrationā€. I told him that most target ammo is pretty anemic and Iā€™d be wanting something with more power but he wasnā€™t concerned. A week or so later he came into the shop with pictures of the bear heā€™d killed. He told me that heā€™d dropped it with a 200 yard shot from his 7mag but when he got up to it he was still alive. He used his Sig to finish it but he said that after 6 rounds of FMJ it wasnā€™t fazed so he shot it with his rifle at the base of the skull which did it. Upon skinning the bear all 6 FMJā€™s were in the fat on the offside of the hide. All 6 .40s/w rounds never made it into the thoracic cavity, never hit anything vital and didnā€™t penetrate adequately. I saw the pictures or I wouldnā€™t believe it myself.

On the other side of the spectrum Iā€™ve used some of the lightweight extremely fast ā€œboutiqueā€ loadings and Iā€™ve been extremely impressed with their performance. A good friend of mine killed a predatory black bear that was stalking him and harassing him for hours while he was steelhead fishing on the Skykomish river one day. He had been playing cat and mouse with this bad bear trying to get back to the truck but the bear had cut him off. Finally after hours of this the bear was making its move and my buddy was convinced that this was the culmination of the stalk that bear was engaged in. My buddy had his pistol out and was as ready as heā€™d ever be as the bear started towards him in charge modeā€¦my buddy said he fired one shot and was stunned when the bear literally folded mid stride. He put 2 or 3 more into him but he was dead. He was using his Glock 23 and RBCD lightweight high speed ammo. None of his shots hit the bear in the head or CNS. His first shot best he can figure hit the bear in the chest and destroyed the heart that was what stopped that charge. He reported it and waited for WDFW to show up. The game warden couldnā€™t believe that the ammo could be that effective but he was so impressed/curious about it that a week or 2 after that incident he came into my shop and bought some of the same ammunition that my buddy used since we were the only distributor of that ammo line on the West Coast.

Iā€™ve used some of the lightweight high speed RBCD ammo on vermin like raccoons and the wound is incredible. One raccoon I shot with a 90gr .45acp in my Glock 21. I hit it just behind the front left shoulder when I got up to it the right side of the body was goneā€¦.it quite literally blew it in half. Itā€™s the ammo I use to make a small gun into a big gun. It makes a .38spcl or .380acp into a seriously defensive weapon that punches far above its weight. The .380acp will penetrate 1/2ā€ thick AR500 plates. The RBCD ammo would easily penetrate AR500 plates that would stop everything else. The only round other than RBCD that penetrated the AR500 plates was the 7.62x51 AP with the steel penetrator but it was a tiny hole and had no lethality after penetrating the plate where the RBCD 7.62 hole was about twice the caliber size and penetrated a 2x4 behind it.

Sorry bub, but your bullets get the crappy review that I expected:

https://www.theboxotruth.com/threads/the-box-o-truth-38-rbcd-ammo-vs-the-box-o-truth.362/

Light for caliber is never the right answer when I comes to penetration.

Why do I want hard lead for bullets? Because depleted uranium is too hard to come by.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Iā€™m not super experienced when it comes to bear defense. Iā€™ve scared bears off before , but thatā€™s it. I have talked to a few guys who have first hand experience, and also have read more than a few field reports.

One man, who I trust implicitly, said he shot a brown bear, freshly wet out of the water with a 12 Ga magnum brenneke slug, and it didnā€™t penetrate the wet fur. Since then he carries a 16ā€ 458 WinMag rather than a pistol.

Take that FWIW

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Really hope NOT to have first hand experience stopping frisky bears with a handgun. Iā€™d be very grateful for entrance holes in charging bears; exit holes would be heavy šŸ˜ŠThanks for the input!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Iā€™m not super experienced when it comes to bear defense. Iā€™ve scared bears off before , but thatā€™s it. I have talked to a few guys who have first hand experience, and also have read more than a few field reports.

One man, who I trust implicitly, said he shot a brown bear, freshly wet out of the water with a 12 Ga magnum brenneke slug, and it didnā€™t penetrate the wet fur. Since then he carries a 16ā€ 458 WinMag rather than a pistol.

Take that FWIW
Member klikitarik has told a story of a brenneke failure-to-kill on a young brownie.

Put that into perspective of the fans of the buck-slug-buck, etc method.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Iron, I've chatted with you about this before but to back up klik:

I helped a fella track a massive bull moose shot in the neck with a Brennke black magic slug. Moose was knocked down, and got right back up. Blood trail dried up in about 30 mins of tracking. About 45 mins later, finally caught up to the bull. He was bedded down and still got up!

Once downed, I measured the distance from behind the ear:

That brenneke hit four fingers width below the ear and I have skinny Indian fingers!

Many of them heavyweight hardcast jam in pistol vartridge lever actions as well, therye loaded too long and too blunt in the nose. I had both a model 92 45 colt and a marlin 1894 44 mag that would fail to feed some of these douche-bullets.

In 10 mm, I've seen these blunt hardcast turn multiple semi-autos into jammomatics

If a fella hasn't seen piss-poor field performance from a hardcast bullet, then I guess some of us who have must be crazy......

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 12/01/22.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
If a fella hasn't seen piss-poor field performance from a hardcast bullet, then I guess some of us who have must be crazy......

I'm not saying that the hardcast bullet that you used failed, because some do fail. But the correct hardcast will work very, very well.

Hardcast aren't all equal in performance just as all jacketed bullets aren't equal.

I've had hardcasts failures because they wouldn't penetrate straight because of nose shape. But with the correct hard cast you will excellent results, that is why test media is a vital tool. If the bullet tracks straight and penetrates straight then if is worth trying in the field.

Actual results on game is all that truly matters

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I do think about feeding ramp snags with some of those flatties. Testing will tell.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
These last few posts bring out some valid points.

1)Reliabilty of function for a defense pistol. Doesn't matter if its for defense against humans or against bears, if you need it, it better be reliable. That is why I mentioned buying a lot of bullets and ensuring reliability in a semi auto platform.

2)All bullets are not equal, especially cast which uses different alloys, different shapes, hardness, brittleness, etc. The exact same bullet but cast at a different alloy can mean the difference in effectiveness. Ive seen brands of commercial cast bullets come apart and fragment because they were too brittle. Some brands are known for being cast with the right alloys at the right hardness, and with many uses in the field, are known to reliably penetrate heavy bone. Do your research and ensure you are picking a company known for casting bullets that are effective. That is a plus of the solid copper bullet, I haven't experienced them fragmenting when hitting heavy bone.

Same goes with jacketed bullets. Some that should be effective at first glance are not. When I did my testing on cow elk skulls, I tested a boutique 200 grain flat nose full metal jacket bullet, marketed as a defensive round in the woods against some dangerous game. This bullet had an extremely thin brittle jacket, and the lead alloy core was also very brittle, resulting in the bullet coming apart in the first skull.

Regards,
Manny

Last edited by mannyspd1; 12/01/22.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
These last few posts bring out some valid points.

1)Reliabilty of function for a defense pistol. Doesn't matter if its for defense against humans or against bears, if you need it, it better be reliable. That is why I mentioned buying a lot of bullets and ensuring reliability in a semi auto platform.

2)All bullets are not equal, especially cast which uses different alloys, different shapes, hardness, brittleness, etc. The exact same bullet but cast at a different alloy can mean the difference in effectiveness. Ive seen brands of commercial cast bullets come apart and fragment because they were too brittle. Some brands are known for being cast with the right alloys at the right hardness, and with many uses in the field, are known to reliably penetrate heavy bone. Do your research and ensure you are picking a company known for casting bullets that are effective. That is a plus of the solid copper bullet, I haven't experienced them fragmenting when hitting heavy bone.

Same goes with jacketed bullets. Some that should be effective at first glance are not. When I did my testing on cow elk skulls, I tested a boutique 200 grain flat nose full metal jacket bullet, marketed as a defensive round in the woods against some dangerous game. This bullet had an extremely thin brittle jacket, and the lead alloy core was also very brittle, resulting in the bullet coming apart in the first skull.

Regards,
Manny

Spot on šŸ’Æ%

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
IMO, most commercial lead bullet companies make their stuff too hard. Maybe because they want them looking good after theyā€™re shipped (no dings as they get banged around and bounce off each other in the box). Iā€™ve seen advertised BHN of 22, which is basically 100% linotype. Thatā€™s too brittle. I cast my own, where I alloy it to 15-18 BHN for a blend of toughness.

For any new bullet shape, of course it makes sense to test for reliability. I have a model 92 which shoots 335 gr 45 Colt loads perfectly, with a pretty wide meplat mould. I also have a G20 10mm that shoots 205gr truncated cone loads reliably as well- where commercial ā€œbear ammoā€ was unreliable and inaccurate (which I believe was due to bullet shape and hardness).

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I8 to 22 doesn't mean linotype or brittle necessarily

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Mannyspb1
Could you please link to your cow elk skull test? I dimly remember it, it was informative and useful especially to this topic. Thank you

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hi Frank,
Not much more than what I wrote here other than the brand name, but here it is:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...derwood-hard-cast-flat-nose#Post16292439

Regards,
Manny

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Thank you for adding that mannyspd1.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I recall JJ Hack relaying his experiences with handguns and bears. He obviously has as much experience working with and around with bears as likely anyone here, black bears for the most part. He said that almost without fail the reaction of a bear that was shot with a hollow point from a handgun caused the bear to stop and ā€œbiteā€ at the wound where as a bear shot with a heavy hardcast didnā€™t react despite the bullet getting into the vitals. The hollow point would cause the bear to slow the down and bite at the entrance wound thereby ā€œdistractingā€ it long enough for more accurate hits. He relayed that he did NOT get the same reaction when the bear was shot with hard cast and usually the bear didnā€™t even react and definitely didnā€™t slow down or stop to turn and bite whatever was biting him.

Anecdotal information I know but itā€™s informed by his years of real world experience.
There would be a difference between hunting and stopping for sure IMHO. Hard cast for stopping. JHP for hunting in the RIGHT bullet. But now that I"ve shot a lot of deer and pigs with the Lehigh penetrators and defense solids I'm impressed on the killing ability. Yet to be seen on total penetration on something like a bear or moose trying to stop in a bad situation, but they at least won't loose weight and kill better on a broadside shot than any hard cast bullet I've ever used before. By far.

And as Mainer points out feeding can be an issue but I'd think anyone carrying a handgun for serious work or defense had really tested them out. I know buffalo bore 10mm in our Glocks works just fine. Had some issues with another round in a 460 rowland and ends up the springs on the followers were key, new springs and function was fine. I was kind of amazed at that... but is what it is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 46 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.