Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
The 550 series is a pretty tough act to follow. CZ made the same mistake as Winchester did in 1964. It will cost them as it did Winchester.

Maybe, but they did it for the same reason Winchester did. The 550 much like the Model 70 was time consuming to manufacture. Both being based off of the 1898 Mauser action. There is a whole mess of machining and hand fitting to make them right. All of that time costs a lot of money. Making the rifle right takes time. Realities of the marketplace. I love the 550s I have 4 of them (6.5x55, 270, 30-06, 375 H&H) but they were starting to get expensive. The real loss at least IMO, was that they stopped making the 550 Safari. Zastava Arms US still makes a 98 style action that is blued with a walnut stock. Time will tell if it takes off among us loonies or not.

Last edited by HadsDad; 11/29/22. Reason: Spelling

Why is abbreviate such a long word
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just my observation but it appears the gun market in general is flooded. The gun "scares" of the Clinton years both hillary and Bill (throw in Barak and Joe) in effect forced folks to buy rifles whether they needed one or not. The simple thinking was I better get one just in case. Then it just sets in a corner or a closet with few places to use it and even fewer places to hunt with it.

I'd like to do some trading but I have mostly AR's. No one wants to give me anything close to what I have in them which means I don't want to complete a trade if I'm going to lose my shirt on the deal. I will just keep the AR and maybe swap the upper for a different caliber. Any future gun buys will be scrutinized greatly before moving ahead. Throw in fewer hunters and available locations to hunt or shoot and this seems to affect demand. It's too bad about CZ not building bolt actions. I have always heard their rifles are tier one.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 11/29/22.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Another observation: it would appear to my jaundiced eye that CZ is maximizing the old "form follows function" ideal, and while it may make for a good lively rifle it doesn't fit my sense of aesthetics, so the chances of my ever buying one is slim to none. I know the gun companies aren't waiting with bated breath for my pronouncement, haha, but I'll bet I'm not alone in that sentiment. Probably a moot point as folks like me are starting to age out and it won't matter anyway.

"Life is too short to mess with an ugly gun." grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I always thought the 550 series were huge and clunky. Would make a great safari rifle. But a 243 or 3006 umm no

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
That's what I'm talkin about!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Meant EdMs fine Brno!!

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I bought one (.223) cause I liked the way it handled - glad I did because it is a phenomenal shooter. I worked up a load with 65 grain Sierra GKs and it’ll keep five under 1/2” consistently. Not wild about some of the synthetic parts but other than that seems like a nice rifle. CZ keeps sending me certified letters saying they’d like it back to glue the barrel in…….I won’t be sending it back and may make a few barrels of my own to interchange?

Nothing special about it really though but am very happy with the accuracy.

PennDog

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why did they eliminate the "switch barrel" capability? I remember being quite intrigued by the option and was waiting to put eyes on one in person. I have never seen a 600 and now I read it cannot swap barrels. That is a deal breaker for me.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by cotis
Why did they eliminate the "switch barrel" capability? I remember being quite intrigued by the option and was waiting to put eyes on one in person. I have never seen a 600 and now I read it cannot swap barrels. That is a deal breaker for me.

If the barrel, after inserted into the receiver, was not tightened properly it could move forward creating excessive headspace and potentially allowing the case to rupture (as explained in the certified letters I have received).

PennDog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Apparently they discovered that it was possible for them to be assembled in such a way that something bad could happen, resulting in them getting their ass sued off. Maybe that actually happened, maybe not. One would think they’d have figured that out before they started selling them, but that applies to a lot of stuff. If they would make it possible to send them in for the swap, that might salvage some enthusiasm, but that’s not gonna happen here I guess. Looks like all I’ll be buying from them in the future is possibly more magazines, or possibly nothing at all since I have plenty of those already.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I would guess buying and revamping Colt is taking a lot of their time and money.

Some rumors online claim that it is the opposite. CZ fans complaining that Colt leadership is taking charge of CZ. And citing Colt's history of problems. I have no idea if that is true or not, but you might find discussions online or on social media.

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/02/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I would guess buying and revamping Colt is taking a lot of their time and money.

Some rumors online claim that it is the opposite. CZ fans complaining that Colt leadership is taking charge of CZ. And citing Colt's history of problems. I have no idea if that is true or not, but you might find discussions online or on social media.

As opposed to reason as that sounds, my company “absorbed” a few other telecoms over the years and seemed to adopt stuff from them that, in my mind anyway, diminished our performance, in particular the quality of service we provided. If their practices were so damn great, why were we able to buy them up, instead of the other way around?

No matter now, as long as those pension checks keep rolling in…………..🤑

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PennDog

If the barrel, after inserted into the receiver, was not tightened properly it could move forward creating excessive headspace and potentially allowing the case to rupture (as explained in the certified letters I have received).

PennDog

I’m no engineer, but even I can dream up a way to keep that from happening. However this ends up, I’m no longer interested, having moved on to something else.

Another thing I found annoying is that they put a fast twist on the Trail .223 and a 1-9” on the Lux. WTF is with that?

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I think it will turn out fine. Just recommended it as an option to my coworker recently... he wanted CRF. I didn't know about the barrel interchangeability they somewhat botched but overall it looks like a nice rifle for the price. So glad I bought a 527 Rustic in 6.5 Grendel. That sucker is heavy but sweeeeet.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok I finally saw one!! It was a 223 trail model. The plastic comb hits my cheek in the wrong spot. And appears non adjustable. The safety is sorta obscured. The bolt wasn’t that smooth. Totally not impressed. Part of that is the tacticool for. Factor which is rediculous. Bring back the 527 please,!

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 12/05/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Finally saw a cz 600 alpha in 223 at a store this week. I thought the bolt was ruff and you also have to pull the bolt against spring tension rearward to make the plunger ejector work. I saw a cz 600 trail and thought it was ruff and not very sleek feeling. With what’s out there cz laid an egg with these. Honestly if I want a super short action. I get a Howa mini.

Let’s remember years ago cz screwed up their stock order with hs precision and bought the stocks with a 12” lop. Cz just sold them anyways.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is a company that confuses me
Moments of Genius and awesome quality

and moments of stupidity

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing that has happened in many, if not most, industries is people move on (as MD mentioned with CZ).
When we were young people planned to go to a company to stay their entire working life. Now it’s just, “I’ll work there until I find something better”. Having long term employees meant (often meant that is) having pride in what the company was producing and working not only for one’s self, but also for the good of the company.
The companies are partly to blame for this change along with the high cost of retirement plans.
Now employees put money into 401K’s. There is no retirement plans any more except for the muckity mucks.
My kids have worked for more companies than I have. My step son might be working for three different places in one year.
I think this change started in the ‘90’s with the abandoning of retirement plans. A second reason, is older employees cost more than new ones, why keep a tired 60 year old when a 30 year old is available at 50% to 75% of the cost?

For employees changing jobs is easier than buying a new pickup or maybe as easy as buying a new suit.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CZ screwed up by getting rid of the 550s. Those are great rifles

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Since this thread started I found a 600 LUX in .223

Safe to say I am not disappointed in it in the least.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
339 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.