Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm going to buy a new one when i get moved to Idaho.

I don't need a 'speed machine' been there done that uh-plenty. I won't be climbing mountains, jumping, no high speed cornering just a machine to check traps/hunt/scout on.
Good gas mileage is a plus and reliable since I almost always hunt alone.

Plan on buying a new machine, any recommendations from you folks that have been around them?
Also not going to spend $18-$20K

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I haven't paid much attention to the utility machines, but "new" and $18-20k seems to be the norm these days. New sled prices are nuts!

I bought a 2020 model in March of '20, as an end-of-season closeout, just before the whole world went into shutdown mode. I got it for considerably less than MSRP. At the time, I thought it was a pretty dumb purchase, since my 2015 only had 1000 miles on it, and I just didn't ride much. In hindsight, the purchase looks like a savvy investment, and I could probably sell my machine for more than I paid for it.

All of my local friends ride Ski-doo, and since I know considerably less about sleds than they do, I buy whatever they buy. I have a friend in MN that's a die-hard Arctic Cat rider, and he has been since we were in high school. If I rode the trails with him in MN, I would probably ride whatever he rides. Both sets of friends do agree on one thing, though, avoid Polaris!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not a 4-stroke fan, when it comes to sleds anyway. If I was looking for a utility sled, I would choose a Ski-doo model (Tundra, Skandic, or Expedition) with a 600 E-Tec engine. They are easy to pull-start, so I'm not worried about the electric start/battery not working when it's butt-cold. From what I'm told, the 600 E-Tec gets great mileage, and they seem to last forever.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
The E-Tec outboards were horrible, < just saying.
I'd have a hard time buying a Ski-doo after owning one of their jet-skis.

I read on some Sled forum about Polaris,, > "don't" is the word.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The tundra with the 600 ACE is a good machine for what you are describing. The current tundra is about 2X the machine that the old tundra was in most every way, if you have experience with them. There was a time that I would have said the same thing as Dan about 2 vs 4 stroke (and I did), but that was several thousand miles ago. We run 2 SWT skandics with the V800 motor, and I've watched another one put on over 12K rough miles before it gave up the ghost. The skandic is big and heavy, and if you get it stuck you best have some tricks up your sleeve, but they do things that I've not seen a lot of sleds do. They get around 20mpg, and will pull like nothing else. If you are going to be hauling weight, that or the bearcat is probably the way to go. Otherwise, the tundra can get even better mileage, is lighter, way more nimble, and the LT version still has tons of flotation.

IC B2

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
These look like what I would need maybe?
It seems that nobody on Utube uses a sled like I plan to use one, every video is about speed, carving, climbing a mountain to 10K' etc. .
Compact 7/8th size sled, 400cc 2 cycle 65mph 400lbs. it's plenty fast for my needs.

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snowmobile/trail-utility/blast-lt#model-blast-lt-4000

Posted by Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike
The E-Tec outboards were horrible, < just saying.
You'll get no arguments from me about the E-Tec outboards, but I have seen LOTS of miles put on 600, 800, and 850 E-Tec sleds that I don't paint them with the same brush. As far as sleds go, the E-tecs seem to be proven engines.

cwh2, how are the 4-strokes for pull-starting? I worry about those little AGM batteries crapping out in the extreme cold (might not have to worry about that as much in Idaho?), and not being able to pull-start a 4-stroke. Maybe my fears are unfounded, though?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All are overpriced, over tech'd, and overweight.

It's mind-boggling SkiDoo can produce an light lower powered utility sled that's reliable, light and simple to work on. What really would be needed is an updated version of the Elan that's slightly longer or wider tracked. Doesn't need to go fast but needs to float well with an lighter footprint and not smell like gas when you ride it. I understand that not too much to ask for but these companies are going to sell what you really don't "need" and it's going to be complicated. I don't think there's really an truly good solution with today's emissions regulation.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Run a 156x16" tundra or a 156x24" skandic for a bit, and I doubt you'll think so fondly of the elan.

That sled above doesn't look that bad. Never seen one though. I have little arctic cat experience and it isn't good, so that would be a a tough sell for me, but that doesn't mean much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
Run a 156x16" tundra or a 156x24" skandic for a bit, and I doubt you'll think so fondly of the elan.

That sled above doesn't look that bad. Never seen one though. I have little arctic cat experience and it isn't good, so that would be a a tough sell for me, but that doesn't mean much.

+1

Blew the chain case on a Polaris that had 600 or so miles on it and had to walk a long ways, some things are hard to forgive and forget.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
cwh2, how are the 4-strokes for pull-starting? I worry about those little AGM batteries crapping out in the extreme cold (might not have to worry about that as much in Idaho?), and not being able to pull-start a 4-stroke. Maybe my fears are unfounded, though?

They don't pull start. But, too beeee faaaiiir..... Neither does your car, which is more reliable than any sled you ever rode.:)

I've started the 800 at -35 after an all night soak. That isn't that cold by some standards but it's what I've seen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don't need a 'speed machine' been there done that uh-plenty. I won't be climbing mountains, jumping, no high speed cornering just a machine to check traps/hunt/scout on.

Plan on buying a new machine, any recommendations from you folks that have been around them?
Let me know when you get to Idaho. Pepsi, Barcalounger, chips and dips.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Before I bought my Bearcat 7000 I was trying to find a VK540 for sale.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Polaris .. is never a good idea in Alaska ...

ATV 4 wheeler, 6 wheeler, SxS or snow machine ....

The horror stories are mind numbing

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Polaris .. is never a good idea in Alaska ...

ATV 4 wheeler, 6 wheeler, SxS or snow machine ....

The horror stories are mind numbing

Here's another grand Polaris tale.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...omesteader-survives-3-weeks#Post14456600

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
It seems like snow-machines are low on the list of reliable vehicles.
It's always a big topic on sled forums.

Note to self,, never be out without real survival gear.

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Backroads

Let me know when you get to Idaho. Pepsi, Barcalounger, chips and dips.

10-4 Backroads smile

Posted by Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought a Skidoo Expedition Sport new in 2020 for a very similar need to what OP stated. It has the 600 ACE 4 stroke and it's great on gas, extremely quiet and smooth. No issues at all, other than a bad battery last year.

I use the sled to get to my cabin and haul gear/game and couldn't ask for a better machine.

When it comes to recreational use, though, it's not great. It'll get stuck in powder, it's sorta heavy, it's not quick or fast and it's basically like driving an old station wagon with fake wood paneling on the side.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Second Remson.

We are looking for much the same. Check out the Skidoo E- Sport. Looks like they run about $12K new. Local Yamaha dealer thinks highly of them, and is buying one for his wife. About 450 lbs, and fairly bomb-proof mechanically according to him. I'm not sure if modern snow machines come much lighter.

Easiest way to get heavy sled (like our 1100) unstuck is often to turn it on it's side, kick stow under the track, pack as well as possible, roll back on it's track and try it. Just in case someone doesn't know this trick- I was just shown it last year, dumb -ol me....

I'm not getting rid of my 1993 Yamaha Bravo (no longer manufactured) any time soon, I can tell you that! I moved it with the first snowfall from summer storage a couple montyhs ago. Went out yesterday at -7, got the ice, snow and tarp off it, started first pull.

If you can find one of those in good shape yet, buy it. IMO, the best sled for what we are talking about ever made. Only a 36" width, so kinda tippy, but good in the woods- mine is a long track, not so good in the woods.... smile 40 is about top speed.

For ES machines, carry an XP10 battery pack inside your parka. I did for the AC 1100 turbo (no pull start equipped, even), when we had it in the Arctic. Never needed it tho. Mostly we use it now to charge cell phones and i-pad at the remote cabins if we don't want to run a generator. Has a light too.

Last edited by las; 12/03/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Just looked at some of the low-mid level Ski Doo's , the 600cc , 2-cycle efi @ $10K looks good. Boy-Howdy that 4-stroke engine sure adds a lot of weight.

Any idea of the MPG a 600cc 2-cycle machine would get? It has a 9.5gal. fuel tank, wondering what the range is?

Last edited by ol_mike; 12/03/22.

Posted by Bristoe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.