Print Thread
Hop To
C
coltfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
An old friend of mine has one that he wants to sell me and I don’t know much about them, how they shoot, is it a fragile action. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks in advance - coltfan

BP-B2

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Anchutz have been making olympic grade target rifles for decades. They are smooth, nothing flimsy about them. They are not mass produced. German engineering at it’s finest. Everything is machined to precision. I have two Annie’s but in full disclosure, not the Fortners. Off memory, they start over $4k if you can find one. If you can afford one, grab it.

C
coltfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks MLF. I’m afraid he’s probably going to be close to the $4k mark, so I saving. Thanks for the input.

cf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Anschutz Fortners are something special. After putting one magazine through mine, a buddy of mine had to have one oof his own.

There are a couple of variations of the Fortner's and depending on how you plan to shoot it, one may be perfect while the other one may not work for you.

The 1727 action is designed to be used with irons or a scope whereas the 1827 action is designed to be used with irons only.

The biggest difference between the two is the top of the action. The 1827 action has a dovetail behind the breech while the 1727 action has a dovetail in front of the breech as well as behind it.

The 1727 actions are also drilled and tapped.

The 1727F was a bucket list rifle for me. I opted to go with a 1727F Trainer from Anschutz North America's Custom Shop. These rifles are impressive and I couldn't be happier with mine.

The accuracy is what you would expect, as good as any other Anschutz, Cooper, Sako, Vudoo, Rim-X, or insert your favorite brand here...

The only thing I'd change on mine is that I'd like to drop it into a McMillan or Manners stock, but it doesn't seem either company will inlet for it and after talking with the guys at ANA, nobody wants to take that project on.

A bonus if you're into chassis is that Accuracy International announced at the SHOT Show this year that they are going to offer their AT-X chassis with an inlet for the Anschutz 54.18s and 1727s. They said their plan was to begin shipping those chassis in June, but to my knowledge, they still haven't started shipping them.

Good luck with buying it...they're worth every penny!

C
coltfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Judging by your great explanation, this Anschutz must be the 1727 as it is drilled and tapped. He's got a fairly mediocre scope on top that will most like be changed out, but it would be enough to get me started with it. I've made him an offer that I feel was pretty strong and fair to both of us, but I don't know if he will take it. He had just finished a phone call to a dealer that insulted him on an early Smith and Wesson pre-27, so that may skew him for the day.

Anyway, thank you all again, I greatly appreciate it.

coltfan

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 1727F in .17HMR. It is a superior rifle and very solidly built. Accurate too.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 11/23/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by coltfan
Judging by your great explanation, this Anschutz must be the 1727 as it is drilled and tapped. He's got a fairly mediocre scope on top that will most like be changed out, but it would be enough to get me started with it. I've made him an offer that I feel was pretty strong and fair to both of us, but I don't know if he will take it. He had just finished a phone call to a dealer that insulted him on an early Smith and Wesson pre-27, so that may skew him for the day.

Anyway, thank you all again, I greatly appreciate it.

coltfan

I hope it works out, they're fun rifles!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Heavy rifles. Varmint weight. Wood and metal are both big.

I think they weigh as much as a 1710HB....Tom

Last edited by thomasconnor; 12/02/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ran one for years in competition. Swiss watch precision with incredible German craftsmanship. I wish I never sold mine but was broke and needed money for a down payment on my first house.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
1727f is a bucket list rifle for me for sure. Have never seen one in person tho I'm sure it would away me quickly

Hammer down!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
735 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.