Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by damnesia
I'm really missing the proxybid thing. People buy guns on other platforms too, wouldn't they all be an indicator of what people will pay?

Agreed. The person that posted that is familiar with that platform. He is just using that as an example platform that he is familiar with. There are many platforms to sell guns. Whatever they sell for, no matter the platform, is the "real world".

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by damnesia
I'm really missing the proxybid thing. People buy guns on other platforms too, wouldn't they all be an indicator of what people will pay?

Agreed. The person that posted that is familiar with that platform. He is just using that as an example platform that he is familiar with. There are many platforms to sell guns. Whatever they sell for, no matter the platform, is the "real world".

Ah, ok. I was taking it to literally.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
And, since we are on the topic of RS's. Has anyone ever found a Post War RS? Confirmed, lettered, etc?

I posted about ours, upthread a bit. Not confirmed or lettered, though.

Serial number resolved to 1948. Although one source said '49, but it at least pre-dated the letter boss coding system said to have started in 1949. Ours seemed to have all the right RS features... although the tang sight was a Lyman 1A... and I seem to remember in some other thread here, long ago, that Rick or somebody mentioned the butt plate (or something about the rear stock profile?) seemed a bit different.

Ours came to me from my Grandad, first owner, and I sorta doubt he would have made any modifications to the forestock, checkering pattern, sling studs, etc. It might be conceivable he swapped a non-windage-adjustable tang sight (if that might have been original) for a windage-adjustable Lyman 1A... but I don't think that would have been likely.

It also might have been possible he had the Griffin & Howe cam-lock scope mount added after purchase, but I'd say more likely it came that way from the original selling gunstore -- and maybe even most likely from Savage since they were apparently known to install the G&H mounts from time to time. OTOH, the three mount screw slots were still present, contrary to what some have said about the Savage factory installation system. (OTOOH, seems odd to me anyone would grind those screw heads down so the mount base becomes no longer removable...)

-Chris

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranger, looking back at photos of your gun I have to make a correction. It has RS type studs, but not installed like an RS. Your forearm stud is screwed into the wood by the front double lines, an RS would have the front stud using the forearm screw for the stud.
Sorry to mislabel it back then. I think I’d lean towards it being a 99R now, with studs, sights and G&H mount installed aftermarket. Still a fantastic and extremely rare configuration for 1948.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are couple pictures of the G&H installation on my 1943 EG 250-3000 (it has a T forearm on it).
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
missedbycracky, The scope is a Boone Saturn.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
G&H always ground the screw heads flat when they do the installation. As well as 3 screws there are 2 pins. In spite of somewhat ugly, they are very solid and allow the use of irons should the scope fail.

https://griffinhowe.com/mounts

The reason Proxibid is a good source on values is that it collect ALL the sales from every major auction house. If you do a search for "Savage 99" you may see several from different sales all over the country. As we speak there are 8 there including a $35000 G&H engraved one. With a custom made G&H mount.

If you join and "watch" the auction, you can see what it closes for. Don't forget to add the buyer's premium ! Shipping is also very expensive.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Ranger, looking back at photos of your gun I have to make a correction. It has RS type studs, but not installed like an RS. Your forearm stud is screwed into the wood by the front double lines, an RS would have the front stud using the forearm screw for the stud.
Sorry to mislabel it back then. I think I’d lean towards it being a 99R now, with studs, sights and G&H mount installed aftermarket. Still a fantastic and extremely rare configuration for 1948.

Fair enough, thanks for the re-look.

I've recently passed it on, and my pics aren't great; remind me where is the forearm stud? I don't see evidence of it in any of my snaps... and it's been such a long time since I had it apart that I've forgotten some of it. (Besides, I'm old, memory never was all that great, worse now.)

Hard for me to imagine Grandad might have had aftermarket work done like that -- versus buying a custom-ordered or an already-modified off-the-shelf rifle. Too bad I wasn't bright enough to ask more about when he first lent it to me... in 1974.

Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
G&H always ground the screw heads flat when they do the installation.

I suspect that's the part I was slightly mis-remembering, incorrectly attributed to Savage. I did ask G&H once about this one, but they told me they didn't have records that far back. (That seemed a bit odd, but I know they've moved at least a couple of times...)

-Chris

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranger, this was your 99 on top. You can see on the bottom picture on mine where the stud is farther back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
And, since we are on the topic of RS's. Has anyone ever found a Post War RS? Confirmed, lettered, etc?
Unless you have a box that says 99RS, any 1950's style 99RS looking rifle is going to be only a "I think it's a 99RS". Don't think a letter would confirm the model, just a ship date (and Cody doesn't have access to these ledgers yet, they aren't even sure they have them.

I've had a couple that I believe are correct 99RS's, but couldn't prove it.

Neither of these were being sold as 99RS's, but rather as 99R's. So I find it less likely that somebody tried to "convert" them to 99RS's.

This is a 1957 99RS in 308. It was minty..

1952 99RS in 300.

Thanks, Rory. The only reason I ask is my 1951 R in 300 has Pre War flat top sling studs. Every Pre War RS I've seen has the forearm stud on the forearm screw. My studs are exactly where the two eyes are on your pictures. I'm sorry if I call the studs/eyes the wrong name, to clarify, I call the old small sling attachments "Eyes". The eyes on my 1950 R look like the ones in your picture, similar to the eyes on my 1912 H. I call the big round flat top attachments "Studs". I put a mic on the center of the forearm screw, to the center of the Eye on the 1950 R. Off the top I think it was 2.42". Then I measured from the center of the forearm screw to the center of the stud. They were exactly the same. Bubba probably just used the same holes? I've never called my 51 with the studs an RS, never will. But, I've always thought it was interesting that if Bubba put the studs on, it looks like he tossed a set of factory eyes to put the more expensive studs on the rifle. When I bought the rifle it had a tang sight on it, but I couldn't afford it. I forget if it had a rear sight, it has a blank in it now. I think it has the same front sight as my 1950 R, in 250. Anyway, I've been thinking of selling the one with the studs, several people have offered me pretty good money for the studs. So, if I sell it, I might pull the Pre War studs and put a set of eyes on it? It's a nice rifle with good case colors still on the outside of the lever. Just because I've dreamt that this was the ever elusive Post War RS, if we could letter it, I'd drop $75 on it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JoeMartin; 12/05/22.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where are the markings on an RS and what is a Boone Saturn?

Purty sure those answers are in the archives. Asked and answered 30 years ago, then again 20 years ago, then again 10 years ago.

Glad to see some familiar names still with us.😁

Merry Christmas to all

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM
Where are the markings on an RS and what is a Boone Saturn?

Purty sure those answers are in the archives. Asked and answered 30 years ago, then again 20 years ago, then again 10 years ago.

Glad to see some familiar names still with us.😁

Merry Christmas to all

Thank you Ram. I miss your method of driving a point into a thick skull.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Rory. The only reason I ask is my 1951 R in 300 has Pre War flat top sling studs. Every Pre War RS I've seen has the forearm stud on the forearm screw. My studs are exactly where the two eyes are on your pictures. I'm sorry if I call the studs/eyes the wrong name, to clarify, I call the old small sling attachments "Eyes". The eyes on my 1950 R look like the ones in your picture, similar to the eyes on my 1912 H. I call the big round flat top attachments "Studs". I put a mic on the center of the forearm screw, to the center of the Eye on the 1950 R. Off the top I think it was 2.42". Then I measured from the center of the forearm screw to the center of the stud. They were exactly the same. Bubba probably just used the same holes? I've never called my 51 with the studs an RS, never will. But, I've always thought it was interesting that if Bubba put the studs on, it looks like he tossed a set of factory eyes to put the more expensive studs on the rifle. When I bought the rifle it had a tang sight on it, but I couldn't afford it. I forget if it had a rear sight, it has a blank in it now. I think it has the same front sight as my 1950 R, in 250. Anyway, I've been thinking of selling the one with the studs, several people have offered me pretty good money for the studs. So, if I sell it, I might pull the Pre War studs and put a set of eyes on it? It's a nice rifle with good case colors still on the outside of the lever. Just because I've dreamt that this was the ever elusive Post War RS, if we could letter it, I'd drop $75 on it.

The 1951 catalog says the RS has the same specifications as the 99R except for sights, and the 99R had sling eyes.

They were still selling the flat topped studs separately in 1951 (4A studs & swivels, 7/8" or 1 1/4", $4.75).

So it looks like the owner of your rifle upgraded the studs.

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/05/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's what I suggested when I looked at it Saturday. He'll believe you Rory. laugh

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ask me next year, I might have a different opinion. grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

That's what I suggested when I looked at it Saturday. He'll believe you Rory. laugh
I didn't have it Saturday, I had the 1950 R in 250. Of course I will believe Rory. He's a Rory, you are just a Randy. One has to know his R's around here. smile

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ranger, this was your 99 on top. You can see on the bottom picture on mine where the stud is farther back.

[Linked Image]

Got it, thanks. Yep, I do see the difference. And in the meantime, I found one pic that shows where the forearm screw is on mine (once I zoomed in enough), same locations as yours. I don't have pics of the forearm detached, so dunno if the stud is attached with a machine screw/nut or a wood screw... (Although since it looks/measures identical to the stud on our Winchester M71, I reckon I could look to see how THAT'S attached and assume the attachment on the M99 would be the same. I'd imagine the OEM fabricator probably may not have made these in two different screw styles...)

Interesting I think you've said earlier (or maybe it was Rick) that the checkering pattern and the two lines on my forestock were of the RS style... and it does look like yours. Unlike the separated triangles on the known-to-be-Rs, I guess... I imagine changing the whole forestock would have been something Grandad would absolutely NOT have done.

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 12/05/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I didn't have it Saturday, I had the 1950 R in 250. Of course I will believe Rory. He's a Rory, you are just a Randy. One has to know his R's around here. smile

I guess you are right, we were just talking about it and I didn't actually see it. Getting old and senile. (me that is)

Last edited by 99guy; 12/05/22.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was just joking, we were talking about it, and I think I had it the last time we were shooting. I thought I had it the weekend we were playing with the 250A Saddle Gun?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LBK. HOWDY! How's your hammer hanging Son? Hope all is well and you came through the China Plague unharmed. This place is amazing. 3 years gone, and walk into the same conversation. What's even more amazing? You inform them of a factory marking that could resolve their dilemma.
Bubkis! Totally ignored, phfffffft they continue kibitzing over minutia like swivels .

I dunno, maybe its just me, call me practical, I'll take the letters RS slammed into steel at forge over whether the sling stud is textbook perfect. Its an accessory Any idiot can change an accessory. The receiver IS the gun.

I had a Pinto with Lincoln hubcaps. Didn't make it a Mark IV.

Hang in there brother.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 86 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.