Print Thread
Hop To
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
What’s decent, either rugged or has excellent warranty, and not crazy money for kids. Thinking 8x?

I need to buy a pair for my 7 year old and my 12 year old nephew. Anything used I should be looking for that are a great value?

I am no binocular expert or snob. Just need some input and help

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still a fan of leupold Yosemite/ Kowa YF binos.

About a $100 bucks and pretty rugged.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Yep.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sorry, but just can't help this.

When I was 7 I had two toilet paper tubes taped together. grin

But seriously. Walmart has/had several choices. Choose size & price there for the first time out ? One of those choices still reside in the console of one of my vehicles.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My 8yr old son uses BX-4 8x32 with no issues

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For young folks who might want to look at nature as well as look for deer, Pentax makes a smaller binocular that can focus from 20 inches to wherever. It's called Papillio.
With our Master Naturalists, we use them in to look at insects like butterflies and dragonflies as well as birds where we don't need 10X or more. They are resonalbly small, light and decent glass and are nice especially with kids or adults like me who get bored looking way off somewhere. They are available in 6.5 and 8.5 powers and are usually $100-125. They are not Swaros and are not for hard core Alaskan guides, but nice, smaller clear, lightweights. I have the 6.5's, but I find that for distance detail birding and deer hunting, like my old 7x35's thay are a little weak. BUt I have old eyes and prefer my old, heavy10X Kahles for that.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks guys. As you know kids enjoy binoculars while in the woods as much or more than anything!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huge fan of the Leupold 6X for kiddos. Like them so much, I usually use them myself when deer hunting in IN.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Huge fan of the Leupold 6X for kiddos. Like them so much, I usually use them myself when deer hunting in IN.
Only fault I've found with my sample of one is the eye cups not staying extended.

Originally Posted by Blackfly1
For young folks who might want to look at nature as well as look for deer, Pentax makes a smaller binocular that can focus from 20 inches to wherever. It's called Papillio.
With our Master Naturalists, we use them in to look at insects like butterflies and dragonflies as well as birds where we don't need 10X or more. They are resonalbly small, light and decent glass and are nice especially with kids or adults like me who get bored looking way off somewhere. They are available in 6.5 and 8.5 powers and are usually $100-125. They are not Swaros and are not for hard core Alaskan guides, but nice, smaller clear, lightweights. I have the 6.5's, but I find that for distance detail birding and deer hunting, like my old 7x35's thay are a little weak. BUt I have old eyes and prefer my old, heavy10X Kahles for that.
Bfly
As wonderful as they may be, I'd be leery of buying Pentax optics if support down the road is of any concern.
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
When Pentax was sold to Ricoh they reduced the Sport Optics customer service dept to 1 person. They basically turned sport optics into the unwanted step child. We, at that time, stopped carrying their products. We cannot sell product that we cannot offer quality customer service on.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Entry level vortex or leupold will have the best warranty on the cheap.

My 11 year old carried my old nikon monarch 10x42 this year.
I also have monarchs in 8x30 that he wore when he was younger.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a look at the Hawke Vantage 8x42 Binocular on sale for only $69.99
Fully coated optics produce clear images
Focus knob with 2.4 turns - close focus 16.4ft/5m
High resolution BAK-4 roof prisms
Lightweight and durable rubber coated chassis
Stay-on lens covers for maximum lens protection
Twist-up eye cups with position stops for eye relief

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wonder how many very young kids are able to focus binoculars properly.

But since their accommodation is generally very good, maybe one of the auto-focus models.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I wonder how many very young kids are able to focus binoculars properly.

But since their accommodation is generally very good, maybe one of the auto-focus models.

If you’re curious, ask them to operate a game console or computer. Just stand aside when they say: “Hold my juice box!” If focusing were an issue, make it a game. Adjust it way out and time them to focus. They’ll win your marbles. Except today’s kids have no idea what marbles are. 😁

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I got one of each for my great grandsons & they love them use them constantly. They got vortex harnesses last year that protect them better.

I expect in 5 years they will likely need some warranty service but the good binoculars addiction & appreciation will be with them long after I’m gone.

Will need to get something new in about 6 years they have a new little brother.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Don’t forget to check interpupilary distance… many times, roof prisms won’t swing together closely enough to fit smaller faces. Most porro prisms are able to fit narrow faces better. None of my “good” roof prisms fit my wife’s face well… got her a pair of old Nikon action extremes and they work out well for her uses.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,399
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.