Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
My 2004 Yamaha 90 hsp 2-stroke has an issue. Runs fine from at low/moderate throttle to wide open, but doesn't want to idle or run really slow. If I run it down really slow, just above idle, or try to idle it, it will quit. Fuel prime bulb will have gone soft. If I pump up the fuel bulb and hit the starter, it will start right up again and go. I'm pretty certain I have a fuel problem and I have a couple of ideas as to what it might be, but I'd rather hear from those who know a lot more about it than I do before steering the conversation in any particular direction. For the record, I only run ethanol-free fuel and the fuel filter is clean and clear. Also, it happens with either of my tanks (which are pricey, Yamaha OEM tanks, not $35 Walmart jobs.) Thoughts?

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a small 4-stroke years ago that exhibited the same type of issue. Turned out the fuel line had a 'lining' inside the hose that started to separate and would starve the engine for fuel. Just an odd-ball thing that might be worth checking.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You might have some debris from deteriorating fuel lines plugging the low speed or idle circuit. A good carb service and fuel line replacement and fresh gas is where I would start.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$1.98

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I had a small 4-stroke years ago that exhibited the same type of issue. Turned out the fuel line had a 'lining' inside the hose that started to separate and would starve the engine for fuel. Just an odd-ball thing that might be worth checking.

Yes…that can happen. First thing I’d check is the fuel tank ventilation.

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 12/03/22.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some tank filler caps need to be unscrewed a bit for proper ventilation

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the fuel bulb is going soft in a short amount of time you probably have a bad check valve in the bulb and or the fuel pump on the engine is getting weak.

Keep in mind that a lot of those fuel pumps work off of the fluctuation of pressure in the crankcase, make sure you check the hose from the crankcase to the fuel pump for leaks (If it has one)

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Some tank filler caps need to be unscrewed a bit for proper ventilation

This was my first thought. (I've taken off before without opening the tank vent.) I usually unscrew the filler cap just a little, just to be sure.

Originally Posted by 12344mag
If the fuel bulb is going soft in a short amount of time you probably have a bad check valve in the bulb and or the fuel pump on the engine is getting weak.

Keep in mind that a lot of those fuel pumps work off of the fluctuation of pressure in the crankcase, make sure you check the hose from the crankcase to the fuel pump for leaks (If it has one)

I was wondering if I had a diaphragm going bad in the fuel pump and maybe sucking hard enough to compensate when under some throttle, but not at idle or low speed. Hadn't thought about the tube.

All good thoughts...Kind of confirmed my intended direction of inquiry. Thanks all.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Same last year w my Yamaha 90 two stroke. Turned out it was my anti siphon valve from fuel tank. Although outboards don’t require them, it seems all built in fuel tanks have the from tank mfgs.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have watched so much TarylFixesAll I should know this.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
put the 2 smoker ob in the back of your truck back up to the dump bin and deposit. Buy a 4 stroke. Sorry, that's all i got

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Here is your correct answer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It runs fine at WOT so the fuel supply isn't an issue. More fuel is used at WOT than idle so that's out of the equation. I'm assuming some trash in the bowls or plugged idle jets. They are much smaller than the main jets and more susceptible to getting partially plugged.

Drop the bowls and check for sludge or water.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by White_Bear
It runs fine at WOT so the fuel supply isn't an issue. More fuel is used at WOT than idle so that's out of the equation. I'm assuming some trash in the bowls or plugged idle jets. They are much smaller than the main jets and more susceptible to getting partially plugged.

Probably injected?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Probably injected?

2004 90 HP 2 stroke is carbureted.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had a nissan outboard give me trouble turned out the motor ran perfect when I installed new hose/bulb.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mirage243

I doubt it… a bad check valve in the bulb wouldn’t allow the bulb to ever get hard… Is there a way to check the ignition module???

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It runs fine at WOT so the fuel supply isn't an issue.

Not necesarily true. Fuel pump on that motor is a diaphragm mechanical pump which gets it's signal from crankcase pressure. When compression gets low in the motor or diaphragm's get weak then the fuel pump can keep up when the motor is wound up but not when it is at low rpms.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mirage243

I doubt it… a bad check valve in the bulb wouldn’t allow the bulb to ever get hard… Is there a way to check the ignition module???

That motor don't have an ignition module.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just put some Sea-Foam in it, that seems to be the consensus from all the Fire marine experts who don't know sheit. 😁😁😁

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.