Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My 4-stroke had a similar problem:

If replacing a faulty fuel pump, remove the protective rupper caps from BOTH intake (done) and outflow nipples before attaching the fuel lines.

Don't ask.....

Last edited by las; 12/03/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by las
My 4-stroke had a similar problem:

If replacing a faulty fuel pump, remove the protective rupper caps from BOTH intake and outflow nipples before attaching the fuel lines.

Don't ask.....

Doh!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If the hose/bulb isn’t at fault the low speed jets mentioned by others is a good possibility. If you have any Kroil on hand saturate the carbs. Turn the motor a few cranks then spray it again. Let it sit a day then run. Cured a badly gunked merc V6.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am NOT an outboard motor guy, but see very good responses above:

dirt in idle circuit (maybe first try some Seafoam or other cleaner in fuel system before opening it)

if your fuel pump is vac operated (from crankcase?) and there is ANY leak in that area (bulb/hose?) or a check valve problem, the pump may not be getting enough vac at low rpms

pump may be wearing down enough to be weak at low rpm

best wishes

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I had the soft bulb issue last summer and running problems with a 50hp two stroke, problems as yours. I’d never had real solid bulbs on motors of which I’ve had plenty.

Took the motor in to a really super guy who tested inside and out then grabbed a new hose and bulb from the wall. He chewed my ass for buying hoses and bulbs from fleet farm, Cabelas etc.
His was nearly 80.00, really good quality. That did it. Issues solved.
That thing once pumped up stays as hard as a rock.
I know the new hose/bulb sounds expensive but compared to the other things mentioned here it’s not.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd vac test the impulse line to the fuel pump. If that holds, I'd pop the bowl and check that pilot is clear....if all that (10 minutes time to do the above) passes, fuel line, bulb and any quick fittings get the peek.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Best bet is to buy a service manual and go from there… usually the first thing I do when buying a new or used boat motor.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Salty303
put the 2 smoker ob in the back of your truck back up to the dump bin and deposit. Buy a 4 stroke. Sorry, that's all i got

This!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Osky
I had the soft bulb issue last summer and running problems with a 50hp two stroke, problems as yours. I’d never had real solid bulbs on motors of which I’ve had plenty.

Took the motor in to a really super guy who tested inside and out then grabbed a new hose and bulb from the wall. He chewed my ass for buying hoses and bulbs from fleet farm, Cabelas etc.
His was nearly 80.00, really good quality. That did it. Issues solved.
That thing once pumped up stays as hard as a rock.
I know the new hose/bulb sounds expensive but compared to the other things mentioned here it’s not.

Osky

Yep, same for the fuel line connector at the motor. Had an off-brand that would act like it was clipped on and open to the engine...but it wasn't. The schitty materials or specs were off just enough to give inconsistent attachment. Replaced the cheap connector with an OEM and solved the problem.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 strokes are incredibly simple. Pretty much if it has compression, spark and the seals are good.....it'll run.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2004 is pre ethanol right? Any of your internal fuel lines could be suspect, in addition to fuel lines outside the motor. A little fuel line hardening quickly leads to high rpm air leaks. Also those "lined" fuel lines can cause all sorts of problems and likely were required by the epa as a way to frustrate people into buying new fourstrokes....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
2004 is pre ethanol right? Any of your internal fuel lines could be suspect, in addition to fuel lines outside the motor. A little fuel line hardening quickly leads to high rpm air leaks. Also those "lined" fuel lines can cause all sorts of problems and likely were required by the epa as a way to frustrate people into buying new fourstrokes....

Did you read the guys issue, or just see "boat motor problems" and just give your diagnosis?

C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Salty303
put the 2 smoker ob in the back of your truck back up to the dump bin and deposit. Buy a 4 stroke. Sorry, that's all i got

This!!!

Obviously neither of you have ever had to push/drag an 18 foot john boat loaded with decoys, guns and gear through 6” of water/wet grass. I like my 2-strokes for a few reasons and have no interest in motors that are heavier, more complicated and higher maintenance than what I’ve got.

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mirage243
Just put some Sea-Foam in it, that seems to be the consensus from all the Fire marine experts who don't know sheit. 😁😁😁

#2 consensus- Check the ground wire

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check you fuel vent hose for muddobber stoppage. We have these little black bastids that will plug anything with a ⅛ to ⅜" hole in it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If the fuel bulb is going soft in a short amount of time you probably have a bad check valve in the bulb and or the fuel pump on the engine is getting weak.

Here is your correct answer.
What the he'll do you know about outboards, especially a Yamaha.

Life is good live it while you can.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm gonna agree with CCCC about the idle air circuit being gummed or plugged. The fuel pump on that motor sucks from the tank with a single hose, there is no pressure in the primer bulb and it won't stay hard when running. There is a U-Tube video explaining the idle circuit, with a diagram of how the air in that circuit pushes fuel into the carb at low speed. The timing linkage needs to be set precisely, as well. I have a 2004 60 hp and a factory manual, which covers the 70 and 90 also.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If the fuel bulb is going soft in a short amount of time you probably have a bad check valve in the bulb and or the fuel pump on the engine is getting weak.

Here is your correct answer.
What the he'll do you know about outboards, especially a Yamaha.

😁😁😁

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I replaced the fuel pump diaphragms twice in 2000 hours of running on my Pro-V 150 due to ethanol laced fuel pinholing the diaphragms. Same symptoms, bulb would go soft, hard starting and poor throttle response. Pretty inexpensive and easy to do.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bad/weak spark plugs can also cause some funky issues.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.