Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the old-timer's made another go of it. I swear, every trip is an adventure. Some times, before it even starts. We were due to leave on November 16th. On Nov. 15th , I was on my way to work at 5:30 AM, driving along in the dark and a huge doe decided to run out in front of me. I killed the deer, but my truck took a hard hit. I got it to the body shop and really thought it was totaled. It is a 2006 F150 with over 200,000 miles. AND I didn't think I was carrying collision ins. My wife had us covered. The damage was $3095, and change.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We left on the 16th driving my wife's truck. We had over 275 miles to go to our first stop. Drummondville, Canada. It was a snowy miserable drive. Roads not plowed. There was one last mountain before Derby Line Vermont. The last town in the US before the border. I had just mentioned to my wife how patient all the driver's were following me were. All of a sudden a white Ram truck decided he wasn't happy and started passing everyone. Then I saw an orange and black tractor trailer following him. Well, the Doge lost it and spun out. He was broad side in front of the T/T and got T-boned. Parts of the truck went everywhere. Because of the road conditions I just couldn't stop safely. We went to customs and told them. They were happy I didn't get involved.

The next day we headed to Mont-Joli and it was still snowing. The whole trip was a little over 600 miles. My top speed was 50mph.

We spend a couple days down time in Mont-Joli. We were scheduled to fly out on the 20th, but because of the conditions the plane couldn't fly. Consequently, we lost our first day of hunting.

We did fly on the 21st. Got our licenses and drove 90 more miles to camp. We couldn't believe it. There was over 30" of snow and STILL coming down.

Next morning we were out and on 4 wheelers. WAY too much snow to travel that way, especially for two old dubs like us, but we did it. Considering the conditions we saw allot of deer. I managed a nice 8 pointer.

That was all the action for me on that day.

The next day, you guessed it. MORE snow, But even with the conditions. my wife caught a break right around lunch and the skies broke. She spotted this nice 8 and with one shot it was DRT

Also on day 2 something happened to me that was a first. I wasn't so fortunate to have the same break in the weather my wife did. I was in a tree stand and saw a doe step into the edge of a clearing. I looked it over and said I would kill this and be done. I thought it over for a couple minutes and made the decision. What I didn't see was the skipper right behind her. I shot once. She was about 95 yards and it took me a full 45 minutes to walk through the snow to get to her. I shot her through the neck. The bullet went through her and hit the skipper in the right front shoulder. 2 dead deer with one shot. On Anticosti there is a "group" hunt where everyone in the party signs a form allowing no empty tags. We were back at the camp tagged out by 3PM.

A nice ending to the trip was a stop at my son's butcher shop where he and my wonderful granddaughter cut up our four deer for us.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Glad you guys had a great trip. I look forward to reading your adventures there every year.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great report! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the deer!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Man-that's a lot of snow. Well done to you both...funny looking 99 smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great job tagging out with all that snow!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Outstanding and congrats to you and your bride. Those seem like some of the bigger horned deer you've killed there in the last some odd years.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Man-that's a lot of snow. Well done to you both...funny looking 99 smile

Before I got serious about collecting 99's I have to admit I was in love with Remington pumps. I still several 870's and 760/7600 pumps. My son is a Remington guy through and through. He was quite verbal that he wanted me to kill a deer with the Whelan. I loaded up some 200 grain round nose bullets and it was actually fun to shoot it. Hopefully God will let me stay around for next year and I'll be at it again with a 99.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ha-you "Whelenized" em! Good going. I shot my first with the W. last week and am taking it to Iowa next week. Not a pump but seems to be a good thumper. Will look forward to some 99 stories next year.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Ha-you "Whelenized" em! Good going. I shot my first with the W. last week and am taking it to Iowa next week. Not a pump but seems to be a good thumper. Will look forward to some 99 stories next year.

If I live long enough, my wife and I will be there. I had a 99 with me, but it was all over before I knew it. Prices have gone WAY up and after 48 years on the same job, FJB and his shrewd leadership is about to put an end to that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am happy for both of ya'll for getting to go on that hunt , killing stuff is fine but much better when both of you get it done congrats

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hope you can continue these trips. I have always enjoyed reading you stories about them. Congrats on persevering through the weather and all. Well done!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My favorite story of the year and it was worth the wait. Congrats to you and the Mrs.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nicely done! Congrats to both of you. One few great threads every year.

Can't wait for next year's stories. Thank you for sharing.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Outstanding and congrats to you and your bride. Those seem like some of the bigger horned deer you've killed there in the last some odd years.
Racks were far better and body weight has increased as well. But with the way this winter has started I think winter kill will be up as well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are ALL great. I appreciate all the kind words. And, as far as my wife goes, she pushes her limits. We had a few scary instances this trip, but she took them in stride. I am happy she hunts with me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice work gristle!! I love the fact you and momma are still gettin after it. Look forward to your report/pics every buck season. Thanks pard.👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
You guys are ALL great. I appreciate all the kind words. And, as far as my wife goes, she pushes her limits. We had a few scary instances this trip, but she took them in stride. I am happy she hunts with me.

You are a blessed man to have a wife like that.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always look forward to your hunts. I hope to read many more.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for taking the time to take us along. I've never been to Anticosta, but back home a couple friends went every couple years. There were always trials and triumphs, but always a good story.
Life is an adventure to enjoy, it's our choice to enjoy it or not. You found another adventure!
Bfly.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good pictures Steve. In Sept I don't miss the snow. I remember one year the snow up by the park was 8ft. I do miss the bucks chasing in Novembe.. Good report again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 16 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 723 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.