Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.khou.com/article/life/a...01hJmhOtFxXBloe6suA4cNfIhOCPS8tvKKLPl8Wo

Animals
Underdog: Stacked up against 11 coyotes, herd dog kills 8 to save sheep in neighborhood
Little did these coyotes know they were up against Casper.

Author: Reeves Jackson
Published: 8:18 PM CST December 1, 2022
Updated: 4:38 AM CST December 2, 2022
Facebook Twitter

DECATUR, Ga. — When stacked up against a pack of 11 coyotes looking for blood, the expectation of a dog overcoming the odds to defeat them all seems insurmountable. Little did these coyotes know they were up against Casper.

Despite being only a 20-month-old Great Pyrenees, the livestock herding dog at a home in Decatur displayed his heroic actions by protecting a herd of sheep last month.

It all started in the cul de sac around 9 p.m. on Nov. 3 when a few coyotes came near the house. John Wierwille, the homeowner and Casper's owner, said that he was able to turn them away by throwing a few rocks in their direction and yelling at them to go away.

RELATED: 'He's lucky to be alive' | Vets describe care for dog that killed 8 coyotes protecting sheep

However, the coyotes were not done. Around 2:30 a.m., Wierwille said he was awakened by the dogs barking and went outside to see his two dogs, Casper and Daisy, backing the sheep up in the corner in order to keep them safe.

As he approached closer, Wierwille noticed a few coyotes already inside the pen, with multiple others just beyond it. He explained that there was around five or six total at the time.

"I wasn't really afraid they were going to attack me or anything," he said. "But they weren't responding [to me], they were focused on Casper I think more than anything."

Wierwille describes the moment Casper sprang into action, as he charged into the middle of the pack in a scrum between the animals that lasted roughly 30 minutes. After killing a few coyotes in the initial action, Wierwille said that Casper continued to fight.

After the coyotes jumped out of the fence, they split up and ran different ways. The undeterred Casper chased them down outside of the fence line, where another fight led to him killing a few more down an embankment to the creek that borders their home, Wierwille said. He lost sight of Casper and couldn't find him anymore.

Casper killed eight coyotes, but it was his disappearance that concerned the owner more.

"So the next day, we thought we could find him, we thought he must have been killed and so we were looking for him," he said. "If he wasn't killed, we figured he was hurt, we knew he was hurt, because we found parts of his tail and blood and other things, so we were worried about him."

After the neighbors joined in the search for the dog, they discovered dead coyotes in the woods. Two days later, Casper showed back up to the house in the pen, where he popped his head up out of the chicken hutch.

"He looked like death, I mean he looked terrible," Wierwille said. "He came back home and he just kind of looked at me like 'boss stop looking at how bad I look, just take care of me.'"

It was then that Wierwille found LifeLine, a nonprofit with a mission of ending the shelter euthanasia of healthy and treatable animals based in Atlanta. Casper underwent multiple surgeries to close up wounds on his neck and back, and even one to amputate his tail.
Dog recovering after fighting off 11 coyotes, killing 8 protecting sheep

Wierwille praised LifeLine for saving his dog, citing that they took Casper right in with fantastic care and treated him like one of their own.

"There's not much question about him surviving now, it's a question about what his quality of life will be," he said.

Even though Casper may not ever be out protecting the sheep again, he'll always be known for the night he sprang into action to become the ultimate guard dog.
Related Articles

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That’s a scrapping mofo there
Kenneth
And why the hell did he confront them unarmed ?
I would have taken out as many as possible

Last edited by Kenneth66; 12/03/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Does he know Bill’s dog?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Story doesn’t smell right

MAGA
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good dog.

20 months is almost middle aged for a guard dog.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

What's got your spidey sense up about it?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

What's got your spidey sense up about it?

What about second dog for one thing. Only a brief mention of poor Daisy.

Saw this on the inter webs yesterday. Caspar ain’t a full blood Pyrenees either.

Just sounds like a suburbanite blowing what might have started as a real story into a little more.

Or full blown roundoak.

‘Course I could be wrong

MAGA
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's one hell of a dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It doesn't.

Son of a Bïtch should be gutted for just leaving the dog like that.

In the cul de sac?

Schidtty Slicker done bought 7 acres and is ranching.
Big pack of predictors after his stock and he thows rocks?😂😂😂
Hears a commotion later and goes out in his bunny slippers?
No gun?
Dog kills multiple, disappears. He waits untill after brunch to check?
The he hunts down a non-profit vet? WT?
He has livestock and dogs but he has no vet?

Something smells.
Fishy, Půssy, or Assholę, im not sure.
Maybe all 3.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Kenneth

A short barreled 12 gauge would have ended the fight a lot sooner.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A force to be reckoned with!!

A local farmer here has a couple of them guarding his little flock he has, if you stop on the road and check them out they just lay there if you get out of your car to watch them they will get up and heard the sheep into another pasture farther away. The sheep listen to those dogs without question.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

It doesn't.

Son of a Bïtch should be gutted for just leaving the dog like that.

In the cul de sac?

Schidtty Slicker done bought 7 acres and is ranching.
Big pack of predictors after his stock and he thows rocks?😂😂😂
Hears a commotion later and goes out in his bunny slippers?
No gun?
Dog kills multiple, disappears. He waits untill after brunch to check?
The he hunts down a non-profit vet? WT?
He has livestock and dogs but he has no vet?

Something smells.
Fishy, Půssy, or Assholę, im not sure.
Maybe all 3.

To be fair, if Casper did chase down some runners, going out and looking could just be a wasted effort. If he’s gone, if he lives he’ll come home. If not he won’t. The the calculus with having them dogs.

But it still just doesn’t seem quite all gospel truth

MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We have goats on our lease. There is one that guards them. Cool dog, playful as hell. He is a lot bigger than in the pic, probably 100 lbs.
Do they have to be trained or is it a natural thing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 12/03/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Did someone ask why he left his dog to fight a dozen coyotes without firing a single shot? Sounds like he doesn't deserve the dog.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Kenneth

A short barreled 12 gauge would have ended the fight a lot sooner.
Bingo.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Cul-de-sac?????
Probably a no shooting zone.

A soon as I saw the thread title, I figured it was a Great Pyrenees. Our neighbors had a couple. They would be spotted a couple miles from home at 3:30-4:30 AM out hunting coyotes.

It about scared the crap out of me one night when I made a tight 90 degree corner at the bottom of my driveway and this big ghostly white dog was eye level to me looking in through the window of my car.

I mentioned to their owner how far they were ranging. His comment was, they're just doing their job.

In the case of the OP, I would not be surprised if some SOB ignorant Karen does not try to have the owner of the dog and sheep brought up on animal cruelty charges.

The horror of encouraging that dog to kill all those coyotes.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Was traveling into Farson Wyoming and saw a flock of about 500 sheep being pushed across the Hwy. Stopped ,turned on my flashers and watched the Great Pyrenees, move the sheep. There were 4 of them . They were 2 in front scouting ,2 on the flanks and 2 in back. The herder was leading his horse off to the side just watching the dogs do the work. Would take a big bunch of yotes to take on the dogs. The Great Pyrenees, fight together .

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Decatur Georgia. Suburban Atlanta and right on the edge of the big city, it is 20 miles from any open countryside. I grew up 10 miles from there. Illegal to shoot a gun there.

My daughter in law lives 5 miles from there, in a different Atlanta suburb, and the place is crawling with coyotes, because you can't shoot 'em. Any indoor/outdoor cat won't last 6 months. Coyote food.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 12344mag
A force to be reckoned with!!

A local farmer here has a couple of them guarding his little flock he has, if you stop on the road and check them out they just lay there if you get out of your car to watch them they will get up and heard the sheep into another pasture farther away. The sheep listen to those dogs without question.

Around here are lots of BLM cheat grass and sage brush hills. Sheep men have grazing allotments in spring and summer. We drive through such an area to get to Paddock Reservoir, a small empoundment once written up in Field and Stream as a nationally recognized crappie fishery.

Last spring on the way to the lake, the grand kids pointed out the big white dog resting under a sagebrush while sheep grazed in about a 1/4 mile radius of him. Eight hours later, when we came home, he was still resting under the same sagebrush. I don't know if he had moved all day long.

His herd was grazing peacefully, he probably had no need to.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hanco, from what I see it is a natural thing. Our GP's mother was known to jump right in the middle of a pack and tear them up. Arwen, her daughter is a GP and Catahoula mix. I live in the country and she is always on watch for whatever comes by. She is right at 100lbs and would be a terror to any coyotes.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
386 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.