Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After searching for an effective suppressor .22lr ammo out of a rifle that was both quiet and had great performance on critters I arrived at a CCI offering. It has worked out great with some one-shot immediate kills due to the bullet weight and velocity. I'm using CCI Suppressor #957 ammo with a 45g lead hollow point bullet at 970fps and locally it runs around $9 box of 50.

While in a couple of LGS I noticed a Federal offering that I found very interesting and have picked up a couple of boxes of it. It is Federal American Eagle Suppressor AE22SUP1 ammo with a 45g copper plated round nose bullet at 970fps and locally it runs around $6 a box of 50.

What caught my attention was the same weighted bullet at the exact same velocity.
Granted the bullet composition is different, a lead hollow point vs. a copper plated solid point. However, while there are some manufacturers of rimfire ammo producing bullet weights of up to 60g in some subsonic rounds, the common loading for most .22lr ammo is in the 36-40g range for hollow points and solid points.

Is it possible that CCI is making this American Eagle product for Federal and only changing out the bullet type ? I know that CCI also produces Blazer and Speer ammo but was not aware of them adding any other labelings to their production.

OR is it just duplicating a competitor's successful design?

Anyone with knowledge on these two ammos ???

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vista Outdoors owns both CCI and Federal so I would assume there is some intermix in their products.
But you know what they say about assume.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Vista Outdoors owns both CCI and Federal so I would assume there is some intermix in their products.
But you know what they say about assume.

Good point....I had forgotten about that Vista Outdoors ownership

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
I and my rifles like the CCI version of that load. I may have to try to find some of the Federal loading to try out.
Thanks for the tip!
Rick

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just looked at Lucky Gunner ballistic tests on .22lr and in about 95-99% of the time, at many speeds, the expansion of the same weight bullets is NOT dependent on the hollow point vs. solid point design. So I guess those two loads could be looked at as almost identical.

In fact almost all .22lr rounds do not expand at all.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I read someplace (yeah, I know), that the 40gr. CCI Blazer ammo is made by CCI, while the newest 38gr. offering is put up by Federal. I read that on rimfirecentral.com, but I cannot verify it personally. Maybe looking at the SKU numbers will tell the tale.

CCI 40gr. Blazers shoot pretty well in most of my rimfire rifles, but I haven't messed with the 38gr. LRN loads yet.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It looks like the Federal offerings of some of the CCI line is "almost" a copy with perhaps a cheaper bullet.

If the Federal stuff performs like most of the CCI lines have done in the past......I'm becoming more of a Federal 22lr buyer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redhill
It looks like the Federal offerings of some of the CCI line is "almost" a copy with perhaps a cheaper bullet.

If the Federal stuff performs like most of the CCI lines have done in the past......I'm becoming more of a Federal 22lr buyer.

Federal has been great for a long time now. I have never seen the need to pay CCI prices for 22lr. Unless I'm shooting comps where I need to burn out the X ring. Then I'll step up to Eley, SK, Norma or some other match grade ammo.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I shot both at the range on Saturday. Identical groups at 25 and 50 yds. out of my T1X. Exact same point of impact. I think I just found my practice ammo. I have a gemtech 22 suppressor on the t1x, it’s Hollywood quiet. Doesn’t scare my dog when we squirrel hunt.

Old70

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not LR. But... Haven’t seen any 50 grain CCI WMR.
Or Federal CB shorts.

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Redhill

Federal has been great for a long time now. I have never seen the need to pay CCI prices for 22lr. Unless I'm shooting comps where I need to burn out the X ring. Then I'll step up to Eley, SK, Norma or some other match grade ammo.

Looking forward to pics of your match rifles…..

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I read someplace (yeah, I know), that the 40gr. CCI Blazer ammo is made by CCI, while the newest 38gr. offering is put up by Federal. I read that on rimfirecentral.com, but I cannot verify it personally. Maybe looking at the SKU numbers will tell the tale.

CCI 40gr. Blazers shoot pretty well in most of my rimfire rifles, but I haven't messed with the 38gr. LRN loads yet.

That’s correct, the 40 grain Blazers have a C head stamp, the 38 grain have an F. Or at least that was the case a few months ago when I bought bricks of both.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The blazers have 2 different coatings on who made them. One is a waxy dark coating made by CCI. The other is a lite grey graphite coating. This is the one that leaded up thousands of barrels when CCI and Federal combined. I still have a couple of bricks of the junk stuff. It takes about 12 bullets and the bore will be solid lead.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.