Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
7.2 is full on diabetes. 6.5 would be considered pre. You might want to consider taking Metformin to protect your kidneys and regulate your sugar temporarily until you get it back down.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In the upper midwest, the Kwik Trip chain of stores is directly responsible for an impending diabetic pandemic, imho!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
For the record, I’m 5’11, 230 lbs. and sedentary. Back at the gym now doing 5X5. I was on it before and was in the best shape of my life in my 50’s, despite still being in the 220 range. Lift heavy.

The best exercise for you is cardio. Strength training is good, but steady elevated heart rate will be the best for you. Try to find some kind of cardio that you enjoy.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
45 minutes of bench, military press, dips and curls followed by a high intensity 15 minute period of cardio/ rest ( example 30 sec rowing machine 30 -45 sec rest ) that will burn more calories than 60 minutes of straight cardio and will continue to burn calories after the workout where as straight cardio only burns calories during the workout.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
There are a lot of good meds to control it now. You'll hear lots tell you to not go on the meds and just try to control it with diet, meanwhile it's tearing up your body. Go on the meds and keep it under control, you'll live a long and better life that way. Meanwhile work on the diet and if you can come off the meds then great, but keep it from doing damage with medicine in the meantime.
You need to think about it like being a little pregnant. No such thing. You are a diabetic.
Some people in the first stage get it somewhat under control with diet and exercise. But most fall off the wagon. All the time this nasty disease is doing damage. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Don't kid yourself, you are diabetic. When I hit 6.1 I started testing my glucose with a cheap Relion tester from WM to see how my body reacted to various foods. Lower the carbs.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, I am type II and have been for about 15 years. LOWER THE CARBS. Especially sugar. Use Splenda or some other sweetner, diet drinks, or just plain water. Avoid white bread, rice, potatoes. Or, eat very sparingly. Eat more meat and green vegetables, or low carb vegetables like carrots. Use whole wheat bread. Avoid cakes, candy, pies, etc. Eat fruits raw. I put the breaks on sugar alone and lost 10 lbs. real fast. Eating an Atkins, South Beach, or diet like that. I modified the Atkins and ate a little carby foods and lost another 10 lbs. Never got hungry. Eat snacks like Slim Jims or pork skins instead of potato chips. Eat less if possible.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got my annual blood tests back. Got 7.2 on my glycemic. I’ve flirted with the line a couple times but never crossed it. Now I have.

I know what the problem is, too much junk, too little exercise. I started a month ago to fix the exercise part, and really, the junk is easy. I just told Slavyanka either to not bring it in the house or hide it. I won’t go looking for it but will eat it if it’s there.

I’ve tried finding a decent app to track my carbs etc, but anything I’ve looked at seems focussed on barcodes. We cook virtually everything (except the junk) from scratch. And I don’t eat the same thing week after week, so it’s not like I can load custom meals in. I’d drive myself nuts.

Any suggestions appreciated. I’ve always said cancer or a heart attack will kill ya, but diabetes makes ya suffer. Don’t want to go there.

Lots of good advice on this thread but you are already on the right track. A bit of exercise, don't eat sugar in any form and watch your carbs. For a sweetener I like sucralose ( Splenda) and theres lots of sugar free options out there...jams and jellies, pancake syrup etc. Eat more protein.Don't eat anything white, whole grain stuff is mo' betta and you'll develop a taste for it quickly. I was diagnosed with type II diabetes six years ago...changed my habits and am on zero medication for it..numbers are still good.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was in the same situation about 15 years ago. I watch my total calories and carbs, walk a few times a week. My A1C runs in the low 5’s every check, I’m down to 170 lbs from a high of 240 lbs.

My goal was to do anything I could to avoid the drugs.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Count carbs religiously. Lose weight, I was in the same situation about 15 years ago. Lost 60 pounds over the course of a year, and the last couple of years down another 10. I watch my total calories and carbs, walk a few times a week. My A1C runs in the low 5’s every check, I’m down to 170 from a high of 240.

My goal was to do anything I could to avoid the drugs.

Oddly enough, being diagnosed with diabetes may have saved your life. Sometimes a wake up call is a blessing.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If blood sugar goes up or down you are dead.
So blood sugar is tightly regulated with insulin.
After years of eating carbohydrates and higher and higher levels of insulin, the body has become insulin resistant.
Insulin is inflammatory. This can aggravate or cause most modern diseases.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WMR
Oddly enough, being diagnosed with diabetes may have saved your life. Sometimes a wake up call is a blessing.

I count it as a blessing, no doubt in my mind it saved my life. My Docs were surprised I could get it under control in such a short period of time, I was down 30 pounds in three months and decided to keep at it. Many can’t discipline themselves well enough to stay at it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
OP thanks for posting this. I am borderline my Dr. has me coming in every 3 months for blood test. I been cheating and eating to many sweets lately need to stop that. My Dad was diabetic and so is my brother he's in bad shape at 65 has kidney & heart problems also has neuropathy so bad in his feet he can barely walk without the help of a walker. At 61, I don't want to end up like my brother.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"Prediabetes" was wholly created by the pharmaceutical industry to sell drugs.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Started DIY keto a year ago. Lost 40lbs. A1C test results from October were 3.

No bread, white, whole-grain, whatever. Fiber-schmiber, they’re all sugar in the end.

No potatoes

No pasta

No rice

Low-carb veggies only, except in serious moderation. Carrots and tomatoes are among the high carb offenders.

If you drink, switch to booze from beer and wine, especially sweetish wines.

Staying under 20 carbs is how I lost the weight.

Protein and fat are what you’ll live on. Don’t know your cholesterol situation; mine is somewhat high, but I have zero calcium in my heart, so I ignore it. Now that I’m close to my goal, I’ve started eating more carbs, but try to stay under 50. However, I’m also stuck at my current weight, so have to buckle down again to about 20 to move the flags. I used to be Mr. Bread, but I quit cold-turkey and it was easier than I thought.

This guy is only one of dozens of keto “experts”, but I found him very helpful and practical, and he explains the science. He’s also not selling anything.

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/04/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Change your life to a strict low carb regimen or die.
I had to.
I've never felt better.
A1c is now 5.5.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Borchardt
"Prediabetes" was wholly created by the pharmaceutical industry to sell drugs.

Pre diabetes is the sneaky killer.

Still eating carbs, but the blood sugar is still regulated as the insulin need to regulate blood sugar goes Higher and higher until one day... type 2 diabetes.

The cholesterol hypothesis is nullified.
The insulin hypothesis is evidence based.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Staying under 20 carbs is how I lost the weight.

I’ve started eating more carbs, but try to stay under 50.

I am eating 7 prunes a day, and blowing my whole carb budget:(

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Any advice on the “count carbs” front? Like I said, not finding helpful apps, or even some place where I can find out what has carbs and how much to even begin to understand it.

Edit. OK, found this https://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/MEND/CarbList.pdf. Seems awful difficult to stay under 20. I guess greens and meat it is.

Last edited by Wannabebwana; 12/04/22.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Any advice on the “count carbs” front? Like I said, not finding helpful apps, or even some place where I can find out what has carbs and how much to even begin to understand it.

Edit. OK, found this https://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/MEND/CarbList.pdf. Seems awful difficult to stay under 20. I guess greens and meat it is.

Get a scale and weigh all your food. Most people have no idea what 100 grams of rice or potatoes looks like.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.