24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All else be equal, except for position of vanes from knock.
Or,
Will arrows still fly true if by chance the vanes on a few arrows are an 1/8" closer or farther from the knock than majority of the others ?
How does distance from knock to vanes affect flight ?
If I add lighted knocks, would I need to increase tip weight to keep foc heavier by the 20 grains a knock weighs ?
Like going from a 100 to a 125gr point ?
Thanks guy, pain has me up, and dreaming of better days in the future to get out.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never seem to make a difference in my 40 plus years of shooting bows.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Vane position won’t change a whole lot. 20 grains to the front or back of a shaft will change the spine. Hit the paper to verify spine

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Consistency should be the goal. Although sounds like you are talking about small differences. Go shoot em and see what end results you are experiencing.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Small differences in where the fetching is located will not make a difference. Never noticed any change in my NFAA field and hunter setup which was used on targets to 80 yards. Wasn’t the greatest, but, didn’t embarrass my self even at national shoots. Of course there were notable exceptions to that which is why I wasn’t one of the greats lol.

The lighted nocks may or not change things. There are a ton of variables. Arrow weight is one. The lighter the arrow the more a weight change will affect flight. Where your FOC is now compared to after adding the nocks. If it was marginal before it may be awful now. The only way to find out is to check it. Your POI will likely change. How much will depend on how far you are shooting and the above factors. 20 yards unlikely much difference. The difference will likely increase the farther you get out.

You can fuss with a lot of things in archery and drive yourself crazy. I knew a guy that had to have his arrows to an exact FOC and an exact grain weight. He would spend hours building 12 arrows. He wasn’t any better better that I was ,but, was convinced he had the magical formula. My advice is if the FOC is within range shoot and see what happens.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fletching position no.

Lighted nocks yes, but where I hunt 20 yards is a long shot and to 20 my lighted nocks have no effect on arrow flight.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just getting things together to have ready when I'm able to start shooting.
The dozen arrows I bought have the fetching on a few, either a touch forward, or back from the majority.
Like arrows from different machines were just grabbed and pack, but fetching machines were set up close, but not exactly alike.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The lighted nocks on my Crossbow bolts are 30 grains and I run 125 grain broadheads so I think it would make a difference in the FOC . I am going to 150 grain broadheads next year and a lighter arrow shaft.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Won't make a bit of difference.

Over the years, between me and my boys, we've had 20-25 different bows. Used to be each new bow would get tuned for a different arrow weight, spine, length, etc, etc.

We've accumulated dozens of different arrows of various lengths, spines, and now they're mixed together in 5 gallon buckets. blush

I can grab any arrow out of a bucket and at 20yards the Mathews VXR will 10 ring 'em regardless of spine, right-helical, left-helical, 3" vanes, 4" feathers, no vanes, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great !
Thanks guys, can't wait til the doc says I can pull a bow back or shoot my shotgun !

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by skeen

Over the years, between me and my boys, we've had 20-25 different bows. Used to be each new bow would get tuned for a different arrow weight, spine, length, etc, etc.

We've accumulated dozens of different arrows of various lengths, spines, and now they're mixed together in 5 gallon buckets. blush

I can grab any arrow out of a bucket and at 20yards the Mathews VXR will 10 ring 'em regardless of spine, right-helical, left-helical, 3" vanes, 4" feathers, no vanes, etc.

I once thought you had a clue. This post shows you’re a fugging idiot!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Region6

And you're just another internet tough guy. wink

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Region6

And you're just another internet tough guy. wink

Nope, I just call bad information when I see it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Modern designed compounds are so efficient there is very little variation in results of various spine arrows within a reasonable window.
If anything, the stiffer the better. And it is nearly impossible to be "too stiff" to shoot accurately.
But only the very under-spined shafts will show a measurable difference inside 20 yards.
With field points.
Broadheads and all bets are off.

Being excessively light in gpi is dangerous regardless.

OP, in regard to your question on vane positioning make sure all vanes on the individual arrow are the same. Some variation may be seen from arrow to arrow with vanes further back, or further forward but the key thing is for them to be balanced and even on each arrow.

FOC is something to chase for momentum calculations and those seeking deeper penetration, especially when shooting lower poundage.
Just set up the arrows the way you want, following good charts on poundage/length/spine and try to build every one of them exactly the same.
Consistency.

Hope you are improving and on the mend!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I dont think you will notice much difference at hunting ranges.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by splattermatic
All else be equal, except for position of vanes from knock.
Or,
Will arrows still fly true if by chance the vanes on a few arrows are an 1/8" closer or farther from the knock than majority of the others ?
How does distance from knock to vanes affect flight ?
If I add lighted knocks, would I need to increase tip weight to keep foc heavier by the 20 grains a knock weighs ?
Like going from a 100 to a 125gr point ?
Thanks guy, pain has me up, and dreaming of better days in the future to get out.

Hope this doesn't over complicate things for you. I feel this time of the year is a super time to grow our understanding. Your question & much more useful content on the same end goal can come into play. Personally, I like this video, though some seem to take offense for reasons I do not wrap my head around. See what you think!

Last edited by Hunterapp; 02/25/23.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Won’t make any difference at all

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 02/25/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Won’t make any difference at all

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Chinese spy balloons

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lighted nock will affect FOC and spine. If you add 20 to the back and 25 to the front, you added 45 grains to the total arrow weight.

Things that definitely will change: Spine and POI. I agree that at 20 yards maybe not enough to notice depending how small your target is. But it will be different at 25 and further.

How much it affects it depends on a lot of things, how close you are on spine already, draw weight/arrow speed etc.

How much you see the effect depends partially on you, and as distance increases, effects magnify.

With my recurve, as long as I had properly spined arrows I didn’t worry about things as much because I shot instinctively and never shot at an animal past 30 yards.

With my compound, I’m using sights and practice beyond where I would ever shoot at an animal.

The vane placement I wouldn’t worry about but if you are like me and it bothers you for looks; a re fletch is pretty simple. smile

Isaiah 6:8

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't take this wrong, but I doubt that you are able to tell.
The internet is great but remember that most is opinion. Archery is a mental game so if you think it makes a difference than it does for you.

I remember being at LAS when a guy returned broadheads because they weighed 103 grains on his scale. Not the 100 indicated on the pack. WTH?
With a very good reloading scale I find that carbon arrow shafts vary that much before (3 grains) you start to assemble them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 69 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,126
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.