Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If someone could give me a quick lesson on ceramic vs metal pole guides, I'd sure appreciate it. I need to buy some trout poles and would like to find something at the intersection of quality and price. I'm not sure where that intersection is, and one main factor seems to be the guides, which I have no education on.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A bit more info may be needed. Are you asking about trolling rods or?
If trolling rods as in off down riggers or using dipsy diver type gear I use Okuma bait casting models White Diamond in 10’ length.
I use 65 lb stealth line and the guides are no issue. These rods also work well when remote lake trolling for big pike. With the right rod holders they have a nice 20’ spread behind the boat.
Lake trout, big salmon, pike, are my uses if your talking smaller other types of trout others here can give you better advice.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Osky, thanks.

I'm looking at lake trout rods, light to medium-light action, 5.5-7' approximate length range, 4-10lb. mono.

Last edited by Fiddy; 12/03/22.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Osky, thanks.

I'm looking at lake trout rods, light to medium-light action, 5.5-7' approximate length range, 4-10lb. mono.

My experience and I’m not an expert, when lake trout fishing I favor rod length. Lake trout can be hard to keep on the hook the way the mouths are so a longer bend in the rod keeps more constant pressure and forgive more with the fish’s gyrations.
By doing this I give up a bit of power on the hook set but I find the trade off with length works.

Your question on Guides is really dependent most on type of line you use. We’re it me on a conventional length rod that you describe I would be happy with good ceramic guides. Barring some sort of wire line of course.
Just my view, others here may have different insights.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The only difference that I see in metal vs ceramic is the different style of fishing. Like a fly rod is going to be metal guides. I’ve seen bigger game rod with metal as I hear ceramic can be busted out easy but that’s an old so called stories as I’ve never had one bust out but have had them slide out.
If going for a rod for trout I’d get something in the 9ft range. As it helps the fight I usually use 9ft noodle rod for steelhead fishing. It’s spinning and has ceramic guides.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Do you mean the species known as “Lake Trout” that can get up to 20 lbs, or put-and-take hatchery rainbows that get to 12 to 16 inches?

Generally, I use ceramic on all of my freshwater rods. They are nice and smooth. Somewhat brittle.

For most trout fishing in lakes, I troll or jig. I use a longer moderate action casting rod with a baitcaster to troll and a fast action spinning rod with a sensitive tip to jig.

For lakers, I use what I would use for smaller salmon species like sockeye, pinks, and coho. I troll with Lamiglas Classic Glass 8’2 8-20# rods and an Okuma Coldwater line-counter reel if using the downrigger. I switch to Lamiglas X-11 10-20# with the same reel if using lead or divers. I jig with Lamiglas 7’9” X-11 “Twitch” spinning rods and Shimano Stradic reels.

For smaller trout and kokanee, I troll with Okuma SST 6-12# Kokanee trolling rods and Shimano Citica reels. I use a G.Loomis GL3 6’6” 4-8# spinning rod and a Shimano Saros for jigging.

Some fishing for smaller trout calls for other techniques. For throwing float rigs or bait rigs, I use an 8’ 2-6# Okuma Celilo spinning rod with a Shimano Sedona spinning reel. For throwing small spinners and spoons, I use a G.Loomis GL2 7’2” 2-6# spinning rod with a Shimano Sedona.

Last edited by Gooch_McGrundle; 12/03/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I mainly trout fish Virginia, Wva ,NC and occasional trips to NY and PA for steelhead. Every ceramic guide rod I've owned ended up cracking on the guides . Depending on the spot not a huge deal but if it cracks at the bottom where the line rides it definitely creates problems. Granted these are mainly 12-16" trout with an occasional one up to 26-28 " and 7-8 pounds. I'll stick with stainless

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys, I'm really appreciative of the info you're providing. Since I just bought a couple poles, I think Im going to be returning the short one for a longer one.

When I say lake trout, I didn't mean the species proper. I was referring to the various species of planted trout in California that reach a max of a couple/few lbs. I almost always fish from the bank.

I got Berkeley Trilene line. I have used braided but don't buy it anymore. I'm happy to hear suggestions on what line I could use that would be better.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Guys, I'm really appreciative of the info you're providing. Since I just bought a couple poles, I think Im going to be returning the short one for a longer one.

When I say lake trout, I didn't mean the species proper. I was referring to the various species of planted trout in California that reach a max of a couple/few lbs. I almost always fish from the bank.

I got Berkeley Trilene line. I have used braided but don't buy it anymore. I'm happy to hear suggestions on what line I could use that would be better.
I've seen some videos. They put some huge trout in a few of those lakes . Trilene is good stuff. I've been using the SOS brand in 4lb. They make a ton of jigs and small lures targeted towards trout and crappie and market their own line. Only available in 2,4, 6 lb though. Seems to me the breaking strength is higher than comparable 4lb . Decent drag and limber rod 8 pound fish are no problem. Longer rods give you more casting distance too.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Troutnut. Given my situation, what specific rod would you recommend?

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

If you’re fishing from the bank, 7ft light or light/medium spinning rod would cover all the bases. If you only fished floats or on the bottom, I’d go with as much as an 8ft rod. It will load up and sling your rig with less effort on your part.

Okuma Celilo rods are fairly inexpensive. Honestly, the cabelas/bass pro MicroLite spinning rods are decent too. Neither will set you back more than $60.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Troutnut. Given my situation, what specific rod would you recommend?
Okuma makes some good ones for the money. I'm not at home right now to see the exact model.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What will you be fishing with bait or lures.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo
What will you be fishing with bait or lures.
Almost always bait

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
With bait I wouldn’t worry about a light weight rod but if you were throwing lures I would say get a rod that can handle the lures your going to be throwing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.