Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That is an awesome encounter and made even better because of all the pics. I would say that lil dude is definitely a repeat offender and you are not the first hunter that he has visited. Pretty awesome cause I bet the majority of hunters would of popped him in that situation. Very cool.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TRinCO: Congratulations on the Elk and the cool encounter with the wild Fox.
And thanks for sharing the clear photos.
I have "fed" wild Fox fish entrails on three different occasions over the decades - one was while ice fishing out of an ice house.
But never had a Fox come around my big game kill sites.
Thanks again for sharing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Had a red fox walking behind me in Montana last week as I was going down an abandoned logging road. He or maybe she knew the drill. They were disappointed with me.

R
R
Pretty cool. We've had coyotes down wind of us after a kill but they never came in so we could see them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once left one of Cookie's cow elk kills for 3 days as the snow kept adding up. On return, a bobcat was sitting on the hide. All he had consumed was the tenderloins.

Encountered some serious cat tracks about 200 yds down the hill on the haul out. Fortunately, that one had not worked on the kill. No issues with pine martens or fox.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good thing it wasn't a coyote...it would have never made it out of there alive....lol.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Critters are more fun to see but here are a couple other pics I've taken while hunting over the years.

this tree must have been twisted by snow in it's youth
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

this rock is about 6' in diameter and almost spherical. It sits on a ridge MANY miles from any old volcanic activity. It had to have got a real toss to get where it is.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
That fox dragged off 1/2 of your total makings for Elk Osso-Buco.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
TRnCO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've often told myself that I need to try some bone marrow, but haven't done it yet.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very cool and great pics!

I had lunch with a fox once…was skiing A-basin by myself after it had closed for the season. I stopped to have lunch on the deck of the mid-mountain restaurant and he wondered up and grabbed a seat not far away. Wish I had pictures.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I saw a marten after a squirrel once. That squirrel was the fastest mammal I'd ever seen going through the tree tops.

The marten was faster.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cool pic and encounter. From what I understand that’s kind of how we ended up with dogs thousands of years ago.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Another thread reminded me of this. I was hiking up a trail in the dark, VERY dark. There were a number of hiking trails in the area and I was less than a mile from the trail head. I spotted a light running through the woods. It only lasted a second but then I saw another, and another. They'd come and go. What the hay??? They were moving much faster than a man can run...and they were getting closer. Every so often, I'd get a glimpse of a larger light and it was getting closer, too.
Pretty soon, one of the small lights came right up to me at high speed. It was a Great Pyrenees dog with a GPS harness and a light on a whip. Then there were 2 of them...and 5 of them. They about knocked me down. It was a guy out for a predawn run with his dogs. He said they were all retired sheep guard dogs that he'd got from a sheep rancher. What they really were was a huge grocery bill.

― George Orwell

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Never had a fox on my kill, but birds and ?, that took a front shoulder of a Caribou in Alaska. A family of Pine Martens tried to take ownership of a cow elk, that I had prepped to pack, a few years ago in Wyoming. They were determined that I had killed her for them. I am sure that they had a great feast, after we got all we wanted out. While stand hunting in Idaho one morning I had a fox come down the trail I was sitting next to. He was inches from me when he finally realized what I was. Same with a couple of elk. Once a young cougar laid down under a tree near me for a nap. I was sleeping under the next tree a few feet away. When I woke up and moved so did he/she as fast as it could go. A mother bear with 2 cubs, wanted to pass me on a trail one day, after I chatted with her for a few seconds, she thought the better of it and went away. Over the years, 60+ in the woods, I have squirrels jump on my knee, martens at my feet, grouse walking between my legs, and wolves and cougars near me in the dark. It's been a great ride.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Deer hunting, not elk, but it was interesting. I was bowhunting and was sitting on a pile of dirt watching a doe and spotted fawn below me. The fawn was bouncing all over the place and was fun to watch. Then I heard a sh-sh-sh sound behind me. Huh? Pretty soon I heard it again, sh-sh-sh. And again. I kept watching and it was a badger running through dry leaves. It was trying to get to it's hole...which was the pile of dirt I was sitting on. I moved 5 yards and sat down again. He ran right up and dived down the hole.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s a super neat story!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Watching other critters while hunting is part of the experience. I had a Deer Mouse scamper over the toe of my boot while I was sitting back to a tree. There was a faint whoosh and a Great Horned Owl landed on a low tree branch about 10 ft away. It left when I looked at it. Lucky mouse.

A former colleague and his brothers were on an annual Thanksgiving hunt in the UP. The standing rib roast left in a cooler was a pass after a least weasel wormed it's way into the cooler through the open drain hole....consumed part of the roast and thoroughly fouled the remainder.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
At my northern MN bear camp I enjoyed the red fox on the place until the last couple of years they have dwindled. The coyotes are figuring out a comeback with the wolf explosion we’ve had and of course are killing and driving out the fox.
As for weasels I have two holes out in the shed made specifically for them. Great watching them zip around in there and they sure keep the mice at bay. When I’m fleshing animal hides I leave the weasels a nice pile of scrapings.
I get marten in on the place from time to time but they are very skittish if in your area you can build boxes for them and nail them up in trees. Marten will raise young in the boxes but you have to make the access hole small enough to keep the fisher out. They find young marten tasty.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Never had one come up on a kill, but see a lot of red fox in northern Colorado. while out elk hunting. The thing I find odd about fox is they seem attracted to houses with dogs inside. They regularly get on the porches to look in at my daughter's dogs in Colorado and do the same to my dog in northern Wisconsin.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was hunting my way up a steep creek on a North facing slope. I came upon a flat open space with only a few aspens. The grasses had been grazed down, elk [bleep] and elk tracks there, and some recent return visits by elk. I thought great!, started looking for a place to post, but I began to find a bunch of stuff scattered around. Bears had dug up buried caches of Mexican food, pieces of poly irrigation pipes, someone had topped several spruces to let in more sun. This was an illegal marijuana grow and a pretty big one. When I recovered from the terror of what I had wandered into the story began to become clear. The growers had irrigated this little clearing and even built a cistern higher up. The water system for the weed had also stimulated a nice pasture of native grasses. The herd came in and enjoyed the grasses at this sheltered location and trampled, or possibly ate, the weed.

Last edited by Alamosa; 01/04/23.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.