Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a slight stigmatism, so the burst is annoying. This doesn’t burst for me.

https://vortexoptics.com/spr-1301.html

The 3x has short eye relief, the 1x is more flexible.

“Lighten up Francis”
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I purchased a Burris FastFire III to sort out an issue I was having with a duck gun. Figured out that the issue was the after market choke tube. Swapped the FF unit over my AR home defense rifle. Consistently hit whatever I am aiming at out to 100 yards,

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
I bought a new Browning Bar in 308 and mounted a Sig Romeo 5 to use for deer in front of dogs in Florida. I cut down a 1 piece Warne scope mount to mount it. I like how I can wrap by hand around the receiver to carry it. When I mount the gun, the dot is just there. If I'm shooting at the right target, I can get 1.5" groups out of it. I've shot it some getting used to it and I think I'll like it. We'll see in a couple months I guess.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not to bump an old thread, but in answer to the OP's question I am more than happy with the way my holosun has performed all year. Worked like a charm today, this is my new favoritist setup for hunting around here. My only beef so far with the sight is it's a minor pain in the ass to get both buttons pushed to turn it off. To far apart to hit with one finger, but too close for 2 fingers to do it by feel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Not to bump an old thread, but in answer to the OP's question I am more than happy with the way my holosun has performed all year. Worked like a charm today, this is my new favoritist setup for hunting around here. My only beef so far with the sight is it's a minor pain in the ass to get both buttons pushed to turn it off. To far apart to hit with one finger, but too close for 2 fingers to do it by feel.

What model Holosun?

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
407c x2

MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Well, had this one on an AR. Took it off the high mount, attached the low mount. Reversed the front base, filed a new recoil screw slot and mounted it.

Seems lower than the scope, but I'd like something even lower, more streamline. It does handle kinda like I thought it would. Interesting innovation.

It comes up faster and easier than the AR, holds steadier once shouldered. But, a "bird gun" is gonna handle a heap better than an AR.

DF

Could you use the rear bridge instead of the front ring for mounting ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm following you DF as I was planning to do the same with a HVA also but putting it on a Kimber 84M 338 Fed to try.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had offered my HVA '06 with Leupold 2-7x33 on the classifieds. Had some bites, no takers.

One guy asked if the HVA crest was on the receiver ring. I couldn't remember, so I removed the scope and front base to confirm it was.

Handling this 6# rifle gave me an idea. If I mount a very low, compact red dot sight, thinking maybe a reflex version, this would be a wickedly fast handling '06, about like a high end bird gun.

Question: Given that scenario, what would be the best option?

DF

I mounted a small reflex sight on the receiver ring of a Remington 700 Ti short action. Worked "fine" with some caveats. Decided the rifle itself could get closer to my goal, so I got a Kimber Adirondack (shorter, even lighter) and moved the red dot sight to the receiver ring on that. (First was a .260 Rem, second is 6.5 CM; ballistic twins for my purposes, and 10-15 other cartridges would work just as well for me.)

Pros: light, fast, accurate (for me, probably out to about 200 yds depending on game size and visibility), makes the rifle easier to carry, very good access to the magazine and loading port, mounting on the receiver rings instead of the bridge seemed to me to make operating the bolt easier.

Cons: not so great where we usually hunt these days, which happens to be brushy forest; the sight works well for actual game, but it's not so useful for inspecting (or looking through) brush and tree limbs and so forth in between target and muzzle. (Probably would be much better for open country, and in fact was decent in AZ for javelina hunts. Would maybe also be better for running game, perhaps driven, where there's maybe not as much "obstruction evaluation" at play.)

So I recently reverted to a low power 1" variable for the Adirondack. Adds weight, clutters up the magazine/loading port, doesn't enhance bolt manipulation... (Brand/model is irrelevant for the question, but it happens to be a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5x20, relatively lightweight as scopes go.)

FWIW, I started with a Burris FastFire2, moved to a FastFire3, and now also have a FastFire4. Can't say "best" since I've not experimented much with many other products. The FF2 is sort of a pain to sight in and battery changes are a bit more work. FF3 is better. FF4 seems even better, but I only just got it and haven't worked with it yet. I moved the FF2 back to a target .22 pistol, moved the FF3 to a short AR, and installed the FF4 (so far) on a Redhawk. I've got a C-More Railway on a .22 rifle; that works very well... but I also have an easily-swappable (?) scope set up for that rifle too. The long C-More Railway mounting system wouldn't have offered the same clearance/carrying advantages on the bigger rifles.

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 11/28/22.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Gonna try the Holosun HS510c on the .358W SBR...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The Minox ZA HD 1.2-6 has been GREAT... but wanna try a quicker something or another.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The loads are very fast... 3,400 FPS IIRC.

*Yes, I have NFA Stamps

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, had this one on an AR. Took it off the high mount, attached the low mount. Reversed the front base, filed a new recoil screw slot and mounted it.

Seems lower than the scope, but I'd like something even lower, more streamline. It does handle kinda like I thought it would. Interesting innovation.

It comes up faster and easier than the AR, holds steadier once shouldered. But, a "bird gun" is gonna handle a heap better than an AR.

Wouldn't ya know. Made in China, causes cancer in California. At least I can stay out of CA, have no business in China, either.

Other than the political rant, what ya think?

DF

Well I didn't like the way this one looked, so I got a NECG peep and tall Williams front bead.

The NECG peep is a curious looking device, but seems to work. I like the Talley peep, but that one doesn't have elevation adjustments, depends on altering the front sight.

That wouldn't work here, so I went with this one, which mounts on a Weaver base. I plan to get a fiber optic front, but will see how it goes with the one.

I had put this rifle up for sale, but it didn't happen. One party wanted to see if the HVA crest was on the front ring. I didn't remember, removed the scope and front base to see that it was there. Handling the rifle without the scope was pretty cool, so decided to go with irons which best fits the low comb.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

A couple of really cool rigs....congratulations, gentlemen!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Wouldn't ya know. Made in China, causes cancer in California. At least I can stay out of CA, have no business in China, either.

DF

Well I didn't like the way this one looked, so I got a NECG peep and tall Williams front bead.

The NECG peep is a curious looking device, but seems to work. I like the Talley peep, but that one doesn't have elevation adjustments, depends on altering the front sight.

That wouldn't work here, so I went with this one, which mounts on a Weaver base. I plan to get a fiber optic front, but will see how it goes with the one.

I had put this rifle up for sale, but it didn't happen. One party wanted to see if the HVA crest was on the front ring. I didn't remember, removed the scope and front base to see that it was there. Handling the rifle without the scope was pretty cool, so decided to go with irons which best fits the low comb.

DF

I would have put a Williams on it, it's drilled for one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

DF

DF

Looked and looked.

Couldn’t find one.

Agree.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Speaking of the Williams, if someone has one or knows where one is, I'll sell this one and go with that. I like the looks of the Williams more than the NECG. It works, but isn't the prettiest.

BYW, here's the front ring HVA crest. Looks better with filler screws.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

DF

DF

Looked and looked.

Couldn’t find one.

Agree.

DF

I have one if you decide to switch.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
PM sent

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If I get the Williams, I’ll give the NECG to my son to sell on EBay.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had offered my HVA '06 with Leupold 2-7x33 on the classifieds. Had some bites, no takers.

One guy asked if the HVA crest was on the receiver ring. I couldn't remember, so I removed the scope and front base to confirm it was.

Handling this 6# rifle gave me an idea. If I mount a very low, compact red dot sight, thinking maybe a reflex version, this would be a wickedly fast handling '06, about like a high end bird gun.

Question: Given that scenario, what would be the best option?

DF

The lowest possible weaver mount and one of the Aimpoint Micros. The H or Ts sit really low. Here's my T2 on my Browning maxus II slug gun:

I plan on getting another to mount on my Sako Black Bear .30-06.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/05/22.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I can't say it is the best.

However I can say it has been a quest to get a RMR on this Merkel 141 double for a least a couple years, and I like it.

This particular Merkel is chambered for the 8 x 57 JRS cartridge and has a single trigger. The right barrel fires first, always, and the recoil cocks the trigger to fire the left barrel.

Shots 1-7 were to get within minute-of hoglet at 50 yds. Shot #8 was the left barrel.

It works.

First blood for the Trijicon RMR @ +/- 65 paces.....

Small javelina sow that was a target of opportunity!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 28 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.