Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm looking at a 12 gauge single shot for a short gun for rainy days in a blind or to carry it in the truck as back up to my autoloader.

This will also serve as my farm truck skunk & beaver gun when not turkey hunting.

Or should I just save my shoulder and go 20 gauge?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You can buy light 7/8oz loads of 6s for a 12 that take some of the ouch out for farm and truck duty. And a pullover "Limbsaver" recoil pad is a great investment.

I love 20s but a 12 is a MUCH more versatile shotgun--all kinds of loads for all kinds of situations ("kills from ducks to Dukes" as a Serbian guide I once had said.). And SOMETHING that goes bang is always available--even in an "ammo drought".

My experience of shooting deer and piggies with a light 12 (Ithaca M-37 "Deerslayer") is that the pain only comes when you are sighting in. Adrenaline takes the pain out of an actual kill shot. Doubt that turkeys are very different.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep i got a 12 single shot loaded ready in my shed with a 7 1/2 trap load if i need something bigger i head for the garage for my 22 K-Hornet to kill critters. but not all 12 gauge single shot shotguns have a lot of recoil my Perazzi has very little recoil. i also have a 16 1/4 inch barrel 12 gauge single shot i painted white that i ported for nite time critter callin that is still a beast with 3 inch lead BB magnum with recoil. but the shotgun with the most recoil i own is a Savage 220 bolt / slug gun 20 gauge that will has just nasty recoil to shoot .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You looking for a used gun or a new one? If new, Henrys look really nice and they are heavy enough that the weight alone should help with felt recoil.

I see quite a few used single shots on the used rack at my LGS. Sunday at Green Top in Richmond Virginia, they had a variety of older single shots. Some old Savage Stevens that were in good shape, a Winchester that had a nice bore but was a was a bit rough on the exterior, and an old H&R Topper Model 48 in pretty damned good shape. All were under $200 except the Winchester.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
12 ga with a 3" turkey load in a single shot does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
You looking for a used gun or a new one? If new, Henrys look really nice and they are heavy enough that the weight alone should help with felt recoil.

I see quite a few used single shots on the used rack at my LGS. Sunday at Green Top in Richmond Virginia, they had a variety of older single shots. Some old Savage Stevens that were in good shape, a Winchester that had a nice bore but was a was a bit rough on the exterior, and an old H&R Topper Model 48 in pretty damned good shape. All were under $200 except the Winchester.

Looking at Stevens 301 in the turkey model. Do the choke tubes, red dot, and a flashlight mount for skunk duty.
You can't find cheap H&R or NEF single shots anymore and those 301's come set up well.
(Yes I know they are made in China)

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pullit
12 ga with a 3" turkey load in a single shot does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

Yes.. I was looking on line for lighter payload 12 gauge Non-toxic loads that would be down in 20 gauge range. I hunt federal land and have non-toxic requirements. Didn't really find anything.

Last edited by humdinger; 12/05/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 301s are still nice guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.hevishot.com/upland/hevi-hammer-dove/30-HS29137.html

Would these work? If not they build an Upland load, bigger shot sizes.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/05/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had o e of those NEF single shot 12s, 3 1/2" chamber. Absolutely brutal with 1 1/4 Oz duck and pheasant loads.

What made it so bad was it was factory equipped with a high comb stock and was not drilled and tapped for a scope. Dumb move on their part.

Kept it in the shop for a bit but decided somebody else needed it worse than I did. Don't remember if I sold or traded it but good riddance for sure.

If I wanted a single shot it would be a 20 and even then you will know when it goes off with anything much more than a standard field load.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
https://www.hevishot.com/upland/hevi-hammer-dove/30-HS29137.html

Would these work? If not they build an Upland load, bigger shot sizes.

Tempting to look at them and try it.

I have some #7 federal non-toxic (can't remember the name) that I want to try. it was 15 g/cc load. I saw Kent sells a similar load with poor review.

I'm burning up hevishot 2 oz loads and they can be brutal in my franchi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 3" 12 gauge barreled H&R. It's a 22 incher with sights and would make a rambo turkey setup. But I just can't see going ahead and doing it as well as my single 20 works.

Having owned some VERY stout recoilers.........if I did do it
..... a Limbsaver recoil pad on the hind end would be numero uno.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been using a Winchester 37 12 ga for a couple years now after getting tired of carrying a Browning A5 around. Don't feel like I'm giving anything up as a turkey gun

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt
Been using a Winchester 37 12 ga for a couple years now after getting tired of carrying a Browning A5 around. Don't feel like I'm giving anything up as a turkey gun

That same quest had me buying a Henry .410, then a CZ 20ga O/U, then a Browning Gold Hunter 20, and somewhere in there I decided I needed a Citori 725, albeit mostly for clays. Meanwhile, an impulse purchase put a Mossberg 590 tacticool pump in my hands, and it’s close to as heavy as my A5 was, but is shorter, has a sight rail, swivels, and can be taped or painted. Actually it’s pretty handy if I don’t fill up the magazine, so it’ll get a turn anyway.

Meanwhile, the guy with one do-it-all shotgun now has five, not including the one he started with, which went down the road to help pay for the O/U.

Hard to beat a 12 for utility. Shells from 1 3/4” to 3”, payloads as light or heavy as you want.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by blairvt

That same quest had me buying a Henry .410, then a CZ 20ga O/U, then a Browning Gold Hunter 20, and somewhere in there I decided I needed a Citori 725, albeit mostly for clays. Meanwhile, an impulse purchase put a Mossberg 590 tacticool pump in my hands, and it’s close to as heavy as my A5 was, but is shorter, has a sight rail, swivels, and can be taped or painted. Actually it’s pretty handy if I don’t fill up the magazine, so it’ll get a turn anyway.

Meanwhile, the guy with one do-it-all shotgun now has five, not including the one he started with, which went down the road to help pay for the O/U.

Hard to beat a 12 for utility. Shells from 1 3/4” to 3”, payloads as light or heavy as you want.

My 725 would be my best turkey gun, but i don't want to mess it up. Both barrels shoot to the same point at 40 yards.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
So guys...

I want a 12 gauge for skunk & beaver duty, but want a 20 gauge for turkey duty.

These steven's 301's are $199.....

Should I just buy one of each????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go for it. They might be made in China, but they get good reviews.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You could if you want both. I don't think a skunk or beaver that is shot at a decent range would be able to tell the difference. I can tell you for a fact, the turkeys I have killed with a 12 ga are just as dead as the ones I have shot with a 20 ga.

That is the great part of being a gun nut and living in America, we can choose either or both.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pullit
You could if you want both. I don't think a skunk or beaver that is shot at a decent range would be able to tell the difference. I can tell you for a fact, the turkeys I have killed with a 12 ga are just as dead as the ones I have shot with a 20 ga.

That is the great part of being a gun nut and living in America, we can choose either or both.

I'm testing if you guys are enablers or not. ;-)

Side story: I use #2 lead 12 ga on beavers because it pattern much better than buck shot... and I get it free. I have a friend that works at a landfill and they get people bringing in old ammo and he brings it to the gun club to shoot up and saves tax payer dollars. I don't get as much 20 gauge heavy though.

Still debating. I probably have forgotten the pain from my last shoulder injury..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We're enablers.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.