Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have plans? I need the FLA bird to complete my slam but it's not a priority. I'm hooked on the gobble----my better half should draw a Bosque de Oso tag here in Colorado. Then add our 2 otc tags----I should have some action here. My buddy has a house up in Goodland KS-----I'll have to check to see if it's OTC----I could head up there.

GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and maybe Virginia.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably not. Florida again as an outside possibility.

Campeche in '24 done ate into a whole lot of my budget items.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Tn and Ohio for sure

Hoping Georgia but still researching when and where

Maybe Kentucky as well if friend who doesn’t turkey hunt keeps his deer lease there!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hopefully TN and KY. I need to take a cousin in AL up on a longstanding offer to hunt one of his son-in-laws family farms that has supposedly been untouched by turkey hunters for a number of years.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Wyoming, Nebraska and South Dakota after two weeks here at home in TN, good Lord willing

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would love to try rios or Merriams

Guess I need to do some research before long

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I would love to try rios or Merriams

Guess I need to do some research before long

Neither one is hard if you do your research. 😉👍

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yoder. Any advice you may have for a turkey fanatic from Tn?

Greatly appreciated. Shoot me a pm! I’ll be hunting alone and tent camping or hotel room

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kevin.........

It's SERIOUSLY not rocket science at all. Here's EXACTLY what I've done with great success.

1. Google the wild turkey sub-species range distribution map.

Decide which sub-species you wanna hunt and find where they are according to that map.

2. Decide which state(s) you wanna hunt those birds in.

3. Get the public land access guide for those states by contacting their fish/game dept.

4. Start cross-referencing public access lands on Google Maps satellite view or Google Earth.

5. Log the very best looking areas..........timbered river bottoms......Ponderosa ridges.........wooded breaks........etc. The ones you want to concentrate on. Study those pics as much as you can. Won't look anything like that when you see it from boots on the ground. So knowing as many of the prominent features is key to a quick start.

6. Google camping/lodging nearby. Make your reservations early. You aren't the only guy doing the same research.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Okay so I’ll keep doing what I have been doing! It’s definitely not rocket science !

Just didn’t know if any specific places you might have been you could offer insight on or etc. but no big deal

Thanks

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Been doing this for 20 + years. Bad news is with the population down everywhere it's a bit harder.
1st thing I do is contact DNR or wildlife resources in state of interest for there literature. This is a good time of year to actually get a live person to talk to.
Next thing is reach out to outfitters association in each state.
Sometimes an outfitter is the best option. Depends on how much time you have to hunt. Last year South Dakota trip had a bump (blizzard) so had to switch to Nebraska, took 3 days to find birds, but when I did it was absolutely the best place I've ever been for Merriam turkey.
Headed back this year for South Dakota Nebraska and Wyoming loop. Been talking to people in each state daily and will keep in touch until I get there.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Kevin your probably better off to keep doing what you been doing than listening to any advise that Martha Stewart could offer you....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kelljp
Been doing this for 20 + years. Bad news is with the population down everywhere it's a bit harder.
1st thing I do is contact DNR or wildlife resources in state of interest for there literature. This is a good time of year to actually get a live person to talk to.
Next thing is reach out to outfitters association in each state.
Sometimes an outfitter is the best option. Depends on how much time you have to hunt. Last year South Dakota trip had a bump (blizzard) so had to switch to Nebraska, took 3 days to find birds, but when I did it was absolutely the best place I've ever been for Merriam turkey.
Headed back this year for South Dakota Nebraska and Wyoming loop. Been talking to people in each state daily and will keep in touch until I get there.

Some good tips here.

Any state will give you the phone number of their biologist. They may or may not be of help with info on specific areas as they oversee large areas. Some states wwill give you phone numbers for county wardens. This is a LOT bigger help if you can get it.

And Kelljp brings up a good point about hunting Merriam's. WATCH THE WEATHER FORECAST !!!!!!!!!! You may have to call an audible at the line of scrimmage. It may be for the success of your hunt. It may be for your personal safety. I nearly got stranded in Nebraska by a "storm of the century" about 8-9 years ago during the 3rd-4th week of April.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I worry more about tornados west of the Mississippi than snow its no fun sleeping under a tpickup camper top with a tornado a 1/4 mile away from you....I was hoping I didnt end up like Dorothy and Toto.

Now I know why you are on Martha Stewart's pOe staff YoderbOy such a weath of knOwledge you are.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No out of state hunts planned for me for 2023, but I do have 2 weeks in Alaska in July paid for with salmon fishing on the itinerary.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Yoder, What is that idiot's problem with all the stupid remarks. You are offering some viable info. I don't get it.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Yoder, What is that idiot's problem with all the stupid remarks. You are offering some viable info. I don't get it.

Don't mind Luther. He's an entire case study all by himself. He's just grasping for any shred of relevancy he can.

He wants to be me SOOOOOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAAD............

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How many states have you killed turkeys in without paying an outfitter YoderbOy ?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Awful fast to call someone an idiot...how many states have you hunted without paying someone to lead you around ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,093 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.