Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hello fellow bird hunters,

What was Your Favorite Bird Dog of All Time?

We used to breed and train English Setters to hunt, Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock, Pheasant, Huns, Quail and Chuckers.

My favorite dog was this English Setter, her name was Pebbles. Not only was she a great bird dog, one of her puppies became a National Champion on the Field Trial Circuit in the USA.

Don't our beautiful bird dogs make hunting way more fun! In the picture below she is on point while hunting Woodcock, holding it in place, as steady as can be. Sorry for the crappy picture, took it from a photo.

Cheers and happy Bird Hunting! Darren

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KB

BP-B2

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My current pup. Mickie. 7 years old a couple of days ago. 50 pound female with a huge heart and a motor like I have never seen. Made her first point at 9 weeks old on a wounded wild quail. She is a do all dog. Points, backs, retreives on land or water, Dove, quail, pheasant, woodcock, ducks and I have used her to blood trail deer. She even enjoys a squirrel hunt once in a while. All business in the field and well behaved with other dogs and in the house. She still plays like a puppy.

[Linked Image]
4 months old on her first puppy field trial. Pointed, held and retrieved these bird.

[Linked Image]

A very good day in Western Kansas.

Last edited by PWN; 11/15/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This drahthaar is my best ever.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PWN
My current pup. Mickie. 7 years old a couple of days ago. 50 pound female with a huge heart and a motor like I have never seen. Made her first point at 9 weeks old on a wounded wild quail. She is a do all dog. Points, backs, retreives on land or water, Dove, quail, pheasant, woodcock, ducks and I have used her to blood trail deer. She even enjoys a squirrel hunt once in a while. All business in the field and well behaved with other dogs and in the house. She still plays like a puppy.

[Linked Image]
4 months old on her first puppy field trial. Pointed, held and retrieved these bird.

[Linked Image]

A very good day in Western Kansas.

Very Nice PWN!

You must have been very proud of her when you won that Puppy Field Trial :o)

My second favorite hunting dog was a GSP, they are wicked smart! She won some very big trials as well.

She was so smart that she figured out how to escape the kennel, which no other dog of ours could. Like clockwork every Thursday so was GONE! I tracked her after she got out of the kennel. Straight to KFC she went to gorge on their garbage, which they put out every Thursday lol

KB

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

Last edited by BKinSD; 11/16/22.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
There's video in the link above but here's a picture of the Flash and some of his friends with a few dead pheasants.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great picture BKinSD, a lot of happy people and fine eating there :o)

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be wrong if I had to pick only one...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

I’m with 30338 on this one. And not because he has a litter mate to this and one. My Drahthaar has been my favorite so far. I’ve had labs, shorthairs, setters, and a springer. I loved and miss all of them but since this dog came along I have not once thought to myself “wish I had…….”. And puppy is showing a lot of promise too.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great dogs everyone! I'd bet most of you cannot imagine hunting birds without a dog.

Really cannot pick a favorite. They all had great qualities

Best mearns dog of the five GWPs I had had over 35 years is Asa.
Boldest, sharpest, as in aggressive, and most determined to find downed game was Thor.

Oli, in foreground, is great on all birds, the best retriever, always to hand. Probably the most gentle and loving of all the dogs.

Last edited by Azshooter; 12/05/22.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I was 12, My Dad let me pick a pup for myself out of a litter of English Pointers that his dog had.
I picked a big white male with a liver head and one big liver spot on his rump. I named him Spot. That dog went with me everywhere I went. He was super mellow and smart. I've never met another English Pointer with his temperament. That dog taught me how to hunt birds. I made so many mistakes with him and it didn't matter. He was just a great hunter and he put up with all my adolescent BS.
Spot lived to the ripe age of 16. I've had more talented dogs, I've had more flashy dogs, but I've never had such a perfect fit of where I was in life and what the dog was, than Spot.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread and some excellent pics...They were all favorites and some naturally were better than others.

Duffy showed up before I realized how stupid I was not to take pics....and I think photo bucket has a few in captivity. However Duffy a Springer was special. Yesterday a long time Bud and I were talking and he mentioned we killed a lot of Grouse over that Dog. It most likely was around 300 and likely flushed 10x that many. Thousand of Doves came back in his grasp. A brother out of his litter won the English Springer National Championship. He was smoking hot, and if he snapped his head around...it was wise to set your feet.

His last two Birds at 12....He was going to pick up the first he flushed, snapped right and the second one came up. An endearing trait was after he got spurred once, you never had to wring a Bird. It was one neat bite and he handed you a dead Bird.

A Groundhog also got him good on his first encounter. He never lost another and you had to watch him when you let him out. At odd times he would run off into the back woods and hunt them on his own. Would come back with one and be covered with dirt and his nails sore. I can only think he was going underground and bringing them out.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 12/08/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That is soooo good.....and fun to watch again!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RUM7
When I was 12, My Dad let me pick a pup for myself out of a litter of English Pointers that his dog had.
I picked a big white male with a liver head and one big liver spot on his rump. I named him Spot. That dog went with me everywhere I went. He was super mellow and smart. I've never met another English Pointer with his temperament. That dog taught me how to hunt birds. I made so many mistakes with him and it didn't matter. He was just a great hunter and he put up with all my adolescent BS.
Spot lived to the ripe age of 16. I've had more talented dogs, I've had more flashy dogs, but I've never had such a perfect fit of where I was in life and what the dog was, than Spot.

Great story RUM7!

Can't even imagine growing up without a great hunting dog as your best buddy.

Mine was a German Shorthaired Pointer, smartest dog I have ever known.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/08/22.

KB

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Some good looking dogs in this thread. Everyone thinks they have the best dog and somehow no one is wrong.

Here's my contribution with Lucy.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My last 4 dogs have all been pretty special in their own way. Ol' Tank the yellow lab was a great waterfowl dog and best friend to my son as he grew up. He was one year younger than my boy and was a big part of his childhood. He died in my arms at 14 years old.

Duke the springer was a holy terror on birds. He rarely missed a bird and would have hunted until he died if you let him. He was also a one man dog and didn't really care about anyone but me. He ended up with a total loss of bladder control and had to be put down.

Koli was my heyday dog. He retrieved thousands of birds in his life. I had the time and the access to hunt and he was on birds a minimum of 2 times a week for the whole season. Some of his waterfowl hunts would have him retrieving nearly a hundred birds in a morning. He loved the hunt and knew his job like no other dog I've had. He had a tumor on his spleen burst at 9 years of age and had to be put down.

Mikey is the grandson of Koli and is a great dog. He is very meticulous and has an outstanding nose. I no longer live in bird heaven, so he hasn't seen anywhere near the birds his grandsire did, but he's a great dog in his own right. He's also the most spoiled animal I've ever been around. If he could talk, he'd likely tell you that he's human.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Got a Brittany right now sitting beside me on the couch. She will be 9 in May. I have literally killed a thousand bobwhite/scaled quail over that dog. 242 in 2015 alone. A buddy and I kept track, as he won the competition for most quail that year. That was a 20 covey per day year. She has trained my other pups. Been a loyal awesome pet as well. Lots of pheasants and prairie chickens too. I dread the day she is too old to hunt. I'm almost sure she will be the best dog I've ever had, but I've got some up and comers. So good I could kill limits with a 410 routinely. Hope she lives forever.

Last edited by Coyote10; 12/24/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ky221
Some good looking dogs in this thread. Everyone thinks they have the best dog and somehow no one is wrong.

Here's my contribution with Lucy.

I had to look twice to see how bad that barrel was bent.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, my best was my Diggzzz a wire hair or drathar??? He new what I was thinking before I did. What a connection !!! Point, retrieve, the works. Would retrieve anything except crows. Just look at ya and go bury the dam thing. So many stories, no I won't bore ya with them, we all own the best dog in the world bar none. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

Have had a few good labs, Ellie is the best of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.