Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Yes. I however enjoyed the Betsy Ross house more than any of the other historical items.

Have any of you seen it?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CCCC
Yes, many times - and heard it once.

PLEASE tell us you pheasant hunted with the person who rang it just for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Won't go back though, for reasons already stated.
Oh - and Philly ain't the place to get a Philly steak sandwich either. Big disappointment.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by slumlord

Well Slummy,

CCCC DiD grow up in Pennsylvania... I grew up in Northern Virginia... neither that far from where it is..
I've heard it rang also, and more than once... decades ago in my youth., when it was much safer to go to Philly.

But the person ringing it for the tourists and school kids there at the time, can't say to the fact he was a pheasant hunter, or a hunter at all..
but I can verify he was a bell ringer....

hope that clears it up in your thoughtful " What if?" mind...

There is a big world out there if'n ya get off the couch sometimes and go places...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yes. Only once in the early (19) 70’s. Philadelphia was nice when I was there. From what I understand, not so much anymore. Like most cities.
Loved seeing the Liberty Bell. Still have my little copy of it from the gift shop. I ring it every Independence Day.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Really? The couch?

You got a lot of room with that one….”hey lady…can you load my pine bark much for me??”

I post pics almost daily of myself going, hunting, working, traveling, building , …almost daily.

Gfy

matter of fact ESAD

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A come on Slummy....

ya know most of us love ya.... heck, to include me... never fail to read one of your posts...you possess an excellent sense of humor...

GFY: Go find yourself? that is thoughtful...

ESAD; Eat Salad at Dinner? another thoughtful insight...

but must be my program on the campfire.. as I don't immediate recall seeing pics of your travels....and adventures...almost daily.

I'll have to discuss that with RickBin... and get an upgrade...

but HAND ( have a nice day) & KOT ( keep on truckin)

2 minutes response tho! Do you deliver pizza by chance? If so I'll call you next time instead of Dominos.

HAND again....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
No, probably never will

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Oh - and Philly ain't the place to get a Philly steak sandwich either. Big disappointment.

That was surprising to me too. The two big places that are on TV all the time, Genos and Pat's, were ok I guess but nothing great. We had better sandwiches from some little delivery chain we found in a hotel flyer.

There's probably better places that the locals know about, but the two big famous ones weren't worth the hassle of trying to find a parking place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spring of 2003 seen it.not as big a deal as I was lead to belive, since they talked alot it my school years ...the building lay out and set up as they were back in the period was cool ....BTW the park rangers were a bunch of affirmative action hired Nazis

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
You delusional again, or just in your nitwit phase? No one rang it "just for" me, or anyone. Maybe I would tell you that I pheasant hunted with whomever if that would calm your morbid itch and somehow help your craving to be relevant.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have not only seen it, I've touched it. Back when I worked in Philadelphia (1982-83) my office was a block from Independence Square. I walked over several times to see the bell. One day, there was a park ranger standing by it and I asked her if I could touch the bell. She said sure, go ahead, and I did. There's something special about being able to rub a piece of history like that with your fingers.

I suspect that just asking that today would get you arrested, but it was different times 40 years ago.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Yes, but I doubt I would return to Philly again to see it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I have not only seen it, I've touched it. Back when I worked in Philadelphia (1982-83) my office was a block from Independence Square. I walked over several times to see the bell. One day, there was a park ranger standing by it and I asked her if I could touch the bell. She said sure, go ahead, and I did. There's something special about being able to rub a piece of history like that with your fingers. I suspect that just asking that today would get you arrested, but it was different times 40 years ago.
Your experience is cool to me, because I never got to touch the bell on any of the many, many visits to Independence Hall and that whole complex. I was delivered and grew up just 16 miles from that site and, as kids, we were immersed in visits to all sorts of such historic sites/buildings/etc., including quite a bit of time at Valley Forge, which was only about 20 miles distant. There were preserved buildings and other sites from the 1600s in my home area. Yes, the blessing of chance location and, as a kid, I was naive enough to think that all kids saw and did and got to experience what we were were able to do right in our home place. That was rich and deep. It was interesting when I went to AZ as a young adult and later to the PNW - good folks in those places had never had such opportunities.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Morewood
I have. It's not what it's all cracked up to be.
groan......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No, but the name rings a bell.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I seen it back around 2000,
Went to the Vet to see DMB,and went to check it out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. The touristy area around the Liberty Bell is actually pretty nice... or at least it was 20 years ago. It was neat and clean with cool slate and brick sidewalks, and pleasant to walk around

But, as was said, the surrounding areas are not so great. I got stuck in Germantown, trying to get back on the main highway. I was pretty sure I was the only German there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I saw it 5 years ago. There at the building where it is displayed was a whole thing about how poor black slaves were forced to build Philadelphia. There was supposedly an archaeological site right there to "prove" it. Total bullshiit. I'll never go back to that shiithole city.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I saw it 5 years ago. There at the building where it is displayed was a whole thing about how poor black slaves were forced to build Philadelphia. There was supposedly an archaeological site right there to "prove" it. Total bullshiit. I'll never go back to that shiithole city.

Not surprised. They say that Monticello is even worse.... it's now all about the "African-American experience", people of color, "enslaved persons", oppression, blah, blah, blah, puke.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.