Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I had a couple of 459 S&W pistols back in the 1980s, and currently own an old Model 39. One weakness of the entire line, gong back to the 39, was the tendency for the screw holding on the magazine release button to back out under recoil, requiring periodic checking and retightening. All three of mine have had that issue.

That's nice, however, I don't even know why you are bringing those pos up. They are not even 3rd gen smiths. There is a big difference there. The OP has some nice 3rd gens. That long slide competition 4006 is one you will never find. He probably custom ordered that one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Nice collection of Gen 3's, Exchipy.

Picked up a very clean Model 5906 9mm about a year and a half ago or so. Only Gen 3 I own. Came with its original packaging, a plain brown cardboard box. Maybe LEO? Don't know for sure.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very nice gun, LD.

MM

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The OP has some nice 3rd gens. That long slide competition 4006 is one you will never find. He probably custom ordered that one.
Actually, no. I just walked into the TargetMasters gun store and there it was. When I saw that it came factory equipped with a BAR-STO barrel, I was most impressed. And, though I was an FFL holder at the time, I simply plunked down the full retail price for it right then and there, so it wouldn’t get away. I knew nothing about its limited run status, it just looked really nifty, and I had to have it.

Every day’s an adventure.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice collection of Gen 3's, Exchipy.

Picked up a very clean Model 5906 9mm about a year and a half ago or so. Only Gen 3 I own. Came with its original packaging, a plain brown cardboard box. Maybe LEO? Don't know for sure.

Dang l_d, I like that one a lot.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My first carry gun was a Model 59, I needed a belt and suspenders...lol

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by shootem
If you ever find a clean one, try the 5903 alloy frame. Not a lot heavier than a G17, though I don’t recall the exact numbers offhand.
As fond as I am of 3rd Gen Smith autos, because of changed lifestyle, circumstances and environment, I’m not as likely to be “chosen” in the same way I once was. Therefore, magazine capacity does not carry the same importance for me when compared to convenient concealment and light weight. So, these guys get called upon most often now for every day carry:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

When I was serving as a county prosecutor, and as an arraignment and court trial judge, the 645 pictured above accompanied me for every court appearance in a special, quick access, soft leather briefcase, which also contained a Threat Level IIIA ballistic panel. Seemed like not everyone was truly a “satisfied customer.”

Can’t argue with reduction of profile at all. Matter of fact I tend to avoid places where I’m most likely to be “chosen”. It’s those unanticipated events that bother me. Wife carries an Airweight for the same reasons you pictured the AirLite. For me a G23 has been a companion for so long it’s become acceptable in all but the most discreet circumstances. I’m liking the 5903 a lot and have standard 15 round factory mags to go with it. Either capacity allows for not carrying an extra outside a vehicle. But the slightly lighter G23 is hard to leave behind and is still in that category. Wandering a bit here.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The only third generation Smith I've owned was one of the 4516s, an early one, NOT a 4516-1. I never had any issues with it, and never knew why they came out with the dash1s. The only problems I had were the weight, and the muzzle flip, which was enormous. I went back to a LWT Commander, which weighed less and shot just as well, without the muzzle flip.

I had a second generation 745 for awhile, until the slide started coming apart at the spring tunnel. It was nice to shoot, but had a lot of muzzle flip, too, compared to a 1911.

Smith made good autos, usually reliable and accurate, but they could be a PITA, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That's nice, however, I don't even know why you are bringing those pos up. They are not even 3rd gen smiths.
Did they alter the mag release button design with the 3rd Gen? I wasn't aware that they had.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The only third generation Smith I've owned was one of the 4516s, an early one, NOT a 4516-1. I never had any issues with it, and never knew why they came out with the dash1s. The only problems I had were the weight, and the muzzle flip, which was enormous. I went back to a LWT Commander, which weighed less and shot just as well, without the muzzle flip.

I had a second generation 745 for awhile, until the slide started coming apart at the spring tunnel. It was nice to shoot, but had a lot of muzzle flip, too, compared to a 1911.

Smith made good autos, usually reliable and accurate, but they could be a PITA, too.
The taller a pistol sits in the hand, the more muzzle flip is likely to become an issue; it’s all about the leverage. Double action mechanisms typically require more space beneath the bore line than single action mechanisms. For example, compare the bore height of a S&W 645, 745 or 4506 to a 1911:

The shorter the barrel, the worse muzzle flip can get, as demonstrated by your experience with the 4516.

Kahr Arms employs a unique double action design to mitigate that, as the mechanism is placed alongside the feed ramp rather than below it. Compare the 3913 to the P9, both with 3-1/2” 9mm barrels:

These images are not scaled to match each other for accurate size comparison.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You're not allowed to refer to the scientific realities associated with bore axis height, and its effect on muzzle flip, here at the fire. You will now be opened up to ridicule.

IC B3

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You will now be opened up to ridicule.
Thanks for the warning. But, I’ve already been ridiculed here by those who believe themselves good at it. Still here and unrepentant.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're not allowed to refer to the scientific realities associated with bore axis height, and its effect on muzzle flip, here at the fire. You will now be opened up to ridicule.

Thanks for the invite. The ridicule doesn't stem from physics, it stems from the "everything else the same" requirement of your argument. Everything else is never the same, unless you want to sell me on a Kahr being easier to control than a 3913 due to the low bore axis.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It’s always enjoyable watching Jerry Miculek do his stuff. With the unbelievably extensive training, and a vice-like grip, such as Jerry has, muzzle flip wouldn’t present much of an obstacle. But, the forces to be counteracted will still be the same.

My 3rd Generation Smith & Wesson autos are still with me, and I am most pleased with them, despite their few drawbacks, which I see as completely inconsequential for my recreational shooting activities.

But, the only way I’d ever have a 4516 is if someone gave it to me, because my .45 ACP CCO Frankenpistol shoots very well indeed without my needing to work at it nearly so hard:

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Always wanted a CCO.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Always wanted a CCO.
Make your own. That’s what I did. Actually two, the second one’s in 9mm. Shoots like it’s on autopilot.

Oh, with these, CCO stands for Colt Copy, Obviously.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve read where some guys are/were using 4506s for shooting .45 Super loads. I’ve thought about that; even got myself a 22 pound recoil spring and some Hornady 230 FMJFP bullets to load. Just never went through with it. As the years take their toll on me, I grow less enthusiastic about taking a recoil beating.

Anyone here use a 4506 as a .45 Super? How’s that working out?

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Intriguing, though the notch is of typically too shallow depth:

Compare that with the old, unfortunately long discontinued, MMC adjustable rear sight:

The Novak adjustable rear sight, shown on the 4006 pictured in the originating post above, has also apparently been discontinued.

Sad times are these.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Intriguing, though the notch is of typically too shallow depth:

Compare that with the old, unfortunately long discontinued, MMC adjustable rear sight:

The Novak adjustable rear sight, shown on the 4006 pictured in the originating post above, has also apparently been discontinued.

Sad times are these.

Exchipy, got any suggestions for replacement sightsr for my 5906? Night sight lamps are burned out.

Last edited by local_dirt; 12/08/22.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Exchipy, got idea where I can pick up a Novak rear for my 5906?
If you mean a Novak adjustable, your guess is as good as good as mine.

If you mean a standard two dot Novak, PM me an address and I’ll mail you one of these:

If you’d like to try an MMC, let me know and I’ll mail you this guy:

It’s a Tritium dot version (long ago depleted) that came coated with some sort of cheap black stuff (paint?) which did not hold up well. It can still serve as a very good adjustable rear sight for your 5906, just butt ugly unless you strip it, clean it up some and carefully black out the lamp lenses (they look like Meprolights to me).

Exchipy, got any suggestions for replacement sights for my 5906? Night sight lamps are burned out.
Trijicon used to replace depleted lamps in Novaks for a fairly reasonable fee. You could ask them if they still do that. Had them do a few for me maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A place called ToolTech in Michigan IIRC does or did tritium vial replacement. Nice guys, used them years ago.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,225
Posts18,466,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.