Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
My Dad is interested in buying a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel.

Any experience with this rifle?
Any good/bad experiences with this cartridge?

Proud Left hander!
BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
All Good!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Outstanding combo. I haven’t looked, but good luck finding one. They have been discontinued and I think people who have them know that and like them.
The Grendel was a revelation for me. It knocks stuff down.

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Outstanding combo. I haven’t looked, but good luck finding one. They have been discontinued and I think people who have them know that and like them.

Did find one. laugh

Proud Left hander!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Dont discount the Howa 1500 Mini actions. They are very lightweight. The Carbon stalker is several ounces less than 5 lbs.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MCMark

Did find one. laugh

Buy it!

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by MCMark

Did find one. laugh

Buy it!
Yes.

Proud Left hander!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Though I already had and sold off one of those, I absolutely recommend you buy it immediately, and grab some magazines while you can. The sale of mine was prompted by a number of things, but it was a very nice rifle, unlike almost anything remaining on the market anywhere near the price.

I have one of the Howas, tricked out with custom bottom metal and stock, and a Carbon Stalker .223, and those are great options if the CZ eludes you. Great round, all almost anyone needs in the East.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
My old high school buddy (from the 60s) builds uppers and had several laying around in 6.5 Grendel. I thought I might enjoy fooling around with it so got one. The only bullets I had available were 129 grainers and only had 4 pieces of brass. So, after the dies arrived, I reformed a bag of 7.62X39 R-P brass that had small primers. The first 3 shot group was well under MOA and almost every group since has been as well. The confounded thing just wants to shoot well with anything I put in it.

I have decided that I need to take my first deer with it this year. I look forward to seeing if it kills as well as it shoots. From everything I've read, it should!

BTW, that CZ 527 should be a doozie!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You need to PM Rockchucker. He's been slaying the deer with a 6.5 Grendel this fall.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
think I have four chambered in 6.5 Grendel all for different reasons if you understand the cartridge you'll be just fine. if you try to make it into a big Magnum well don't. appreciate it what it's for low recoil and high performance in its own area of usage.
chambered in the correct weapon can be very accurate also after all it's pretty much a big bore 6 mm ...PPC

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of those gun writers published an article on the 6.5 Grendel in the past year or so....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
You need to PM Rockchucker. He's been slaying the deer with a 6.5 Grendel this fall.

I took one myself. 120gr Gold Dot.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The combo certainly gets style points. I love my 527 Grendel, glad I bought it. The right load should be good to about 400 yards on deer per ballistic calculations... unfortunately I don't hunt often enough to give validation of that.

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ldholton
think I have four chambered in 6.5 Grendel all for different reasons if you understand the cartridge you'll be just fine. if you try to make it into a big Magnum well don't. appreciate it what it's for low recoil and high performance in its own area of usage.
chambered in the correct weapon can be very accurate also after all it's pretty much a big bore 6 mm ...PPC

Yeah, that's why my Dad bought the rifle, he's a bit recoil shy, not interested in using a big boomer for hunting smile

Proud Left hander!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a CZ 527 American chambered in 6.5 Grendel. I like it a lot. It’s a sample of one and the only round that I’ve shot in it is factory Hornady 123 SST. It isn’t a tack driver. Probably 1.5” five shot 100 yard groups are the norm. It’s a nice old school bolt rifle IMO. I was lucky enough to buy it shortly before the closeout and before prices went up. I wish that I had bought a few more in other chamberings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I have a CZ 527 American chambered in 6.5 Grendel. I like it a lot. It’s a sample of one and the only round that I’ve shot in it is factory Hornady 123 SST. It isn’t a tack driver. Probably 1.5” five shot 100 yard groups are the norm. It’s a nice old school bolt rifle IMO. I was lucky enough to buy it shortly before the closeout and before prices went up. I wish that I had bought a few more in other chamberings.

That mirrors my 527 Grendel experience. Very nice rifle, but not a tackdriver with either factory or handloads. Tinkered with the barrel bedding, but when the Fieldcraft appeared, I bailed for that. Even sold my stash of Accubond LRs, which I had to replace when I dove back in with a $359 Howa that outshot the CZ straight out of the box, by a good bit. That Howa earned some pricey upgrades.

FWIW, I was poking about on GB and GI yesterday and found a lot of 527s. Left-handed ones are still pretty cheap, but the rest start at around a grand for the most part, and go up. I have some renewed interest, kinda-sorta in them as I just bought a unit that allows 527 mags in a Howa mini. Works well, and unlike the real 527s, you can drop one on the top and close the bolt on it.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

That mirrors my 527 Grendel experience. Very nice rifle, but not a tackdriver with either factory or handloads. Tinkered with the barrel bedding, but when the Fieldcraft appeared, I bailed for that. Even sold my stash of Accubond LRs, which I had to replace when I dove back in with a $359 Howa that outshot the CZ straight out of the box, by a good bit. That Howa earned some pricey upgrades.

FWIW, I was poking about on GB and GI yesterday and found a lot of 527s. Left-handed ones are still pretty cheap, but the rest start at around a grand for the most part, and go up. I have some renewed interest, kinda-sorta in them as I just bought a unit that allows 527 mags in a Howa mini. Works well, and unlike the real 527s, you can drop one on the top and close the bolt on it.

That's too bad I'm up in Canada, their isn't many 527 LH around.

Proud Left hander!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A couple of things to look for accuracy-wise for the 527.

I’d start by bedding the recoil lug and the tang.

Second, when you remove the barreled action from the stock, the magazine release just floats inside its little space between the magazine and the stock. It can move out of wack just a hair when you reassemble, which is kind of a PITA, and put pressure on the magazine. If that happens you can expect some associated effect on accuracy.

Mine was about 1.5 MOA out of the box. Those two changes/points of concern were addressed and the rifle is easily sub-MOA for 5 shot groups now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Jefferson Outdoor CZ mag conversion unit I have in my Mini has a captive release, far better than the one in the 527.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.