Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Shot some rounds and here is my results. At 47g varget I saw no pressure signs, however it is compressed load. Should I try to go up some more or settle in at 47 and play with seating depth. Gun is Tikka T3 308. What I really need to do is chronograph it and see what the velocity string is but dont have one.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
47 gr's is THE book load with a 150 (you're shooting a 155). Can't see any reason to go over, especially given that group. You can certainly play with seating depth, though I'm not sure why at this point.

I'd go shoot three more groups @ 47gr's and see if the original group result holds up. If not, then play with seating depth.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to discuss powder charges without some velocity data, but 45.8 grains of Varget in SRP Lapua brass gets me to 3030 fps in my Palma rifle (155 Berger Hybrid) and I don't see a need for compressing that powder.

2.800 is pretty short for that bullet. I assume you have a Mag length constraint. I would recommend trying a bullet jump of 0.010" or 0.005" if possible with your Scenars.

Last edited by MikeS; 12/06/22.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Varget varies quite a bit lot to lot as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, I would like to know velocities/barrel length.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd go shoot three more groups @ 47gr's and see if the original group result holds up. If not, then play with seating depth.

That's what I'd do also. And f it turns out to be within 50fps of what's considered normal, don't sweat the velocity. Just shoot it.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
No not limited to mag length. I have a LA bolt stop and mags for my Tikka. I just read and went through all the info i could find on the web and most were loading to 2.825" to 2.800" which still would be within SA mag length. I'm 2.880" to the lands with the 155 scenar.

The hogdon Load Data for the 155 Sierra palma is 2.775", however I do know that the scenar is longer. Thus me asking. I'll work on some chrono info.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's good news. The Scenars really like to be up close to the lands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just curious, what OAL is offered with the LA bolt stop and mag swap?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I can't remember the exact length of my LA mag however, even at 2.880" which hit my lands, I would still be well within mag length of the LA mag.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to know. I hear others doing the bolt stop / mag swap but wasn't sure what degree of OAL latitude it yields.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess I am the odd man out (not the first time) but I would go with the 45 gr load and play with seating. It is more round and the 47 has a little vertical to it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by pullit
I guess I am the odd man out (not the first time) but I would go with the 45 gr load and play with seating. It is more round and the 47 has a little vertical to it.

I see what you're talking about, but I'd want more shots fired at those charge weights before drawing a conclusion.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
47 gr's is THE book load with a 150 (you're shooting a 155). Can't see any reason to go over, especially given that group. You can certainly play with seating depth, though I'm not sure why at this point.

Same here, me being me, I'd seat them 5 thou shorter and see what comes out of it. Looks like a node in the 46-47 range. While 46.5 was larger, I'd still be inclined to monkey around between 46-47 grains with the that and see what you come up with. They are easy to tune bullets. Like to see the speeds as well, but the accuracy looks great across the board.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman

I see what you're talking about, but I'd want more shots fired at those charge weights before drawing a conclusion.

I agree, but based on what was shown, that is the one I would pick

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A chrono would be a BIG help as well

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
No not limited to mag length. I have a LA bolt stop and mags for my Tikka. I just read and went through all the info i could find on the web and most were loading to 2.825" to 2.800" which still would be within SA mag length. I'm 2.880" to the lands with the 155 scenar.

The hogdon Load Data for the 155 Sierra palma is 2.775", however I do know that the scenar is longer. Thus me asking. I'll work on some chrono info.

I'd be testing them at 2.860" OAL (.020" off). If you need to use a different magazine, I'd use the M+ from a 6.5 Creedmoor. That is what I'm doing with my 308w. Loading some as long as 2.920" OAL and working well. I do the same with my 7mm-08.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

I agree, but based on what was shown, that is the one I would pick

You and mathman are both correct. I'd want more groups fired and then you would have a better average. First thing I'd do though, is get the bullet out closer to the lands, grab a chrono and then look at group dispersion. That would be based on more groups fired, better average, resulting in a better statistical diagnosis..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Same here, me being me, I'd seat them 5 thou shorter and see what comes out of it. Looks like a node in the 46-47 range. While 46.5 was larger, I'd still be inclined to monkey around between 46-47 grains with the that and see what you come up with. They are easy to tune bullets. Like to see the speeds as well, but the accuracy looks great across the board.

He's already .080" off the lands and you would seat them shorter? I'd go just the opposite direction and start at .020" off the lands. Just me though.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

He's already .080" off the lands and you would seat them shorter? I'd go just the opposite direction and start at .020" off the lands. Just me though.

Whenever I am getting 2-1 like that, I go shorter. I like to see more than 1 group like it, but if it is consistent across the board, I go shorter and it usually pulls that round into the group. Maybe not the way, but it does work decent for me. I usually start at the lands myself, so I didn't catch the 80 thou off part, I was just judging off the pics.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,148 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.