Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A crack mechanic had a hard time changing spark plugs on our 2016 F150.

$500 was cheap!
A crack mechanic?

You smoke it with him?

BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ford spark plugs was NOT a better idea. Anything in the steering column runs air bag risk. The computer run stuff is ridiculous. Like t h e automatic headlights

There will never be you tubes of a 20** car being started after sitting 30 years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by slumlord
Hire a mechanic.

The American farmer….self reliant, ingenious, risk taker, fearless, not easily defeated by calamity….

but hires a mechanic to change a car headlight
Hey. Some of them dang things you have to remove half of the front clip

201? Impala or Malibu comes to mind.

Yep, all newer chevys & gmc trucks !

1 hour labour, to change an $18 halogen capsule !!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No salt on the roads here... and what do I drive because the way cars are nowadays?

04 Camry
05 Scion ( Son) 11 Tacoma

08 Camry, 06 Pilot, 07 Acura RS, 88 4 Runner ( 4 cylinder)

I buy cars based on simplicity to repair and work on...

then back up, have the local CC Automotive Program as back up..
eg, headlight went out on Camry.. dealer wanted $1500 Labor and $500 for the part.
Bought a pair of bulbs off Amazon for $65.00, took it over to college
Student who works at Acura Dealer installed.. $25.00, and off line, case of his favorite beer.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Current technology is going to make even a bulb change a specialized task, with intelligent LED and Laser lighting systems that require programming after replacement, not to mention the cost of the replacement parts. Then, throw in the lane departure systems and forward vision cameras for pedestrian avoidance and night vision that require calibration anytime a body part or a front bumper is removed or adjusted, or when a windshield is replaced.

Wife's car is a 2018 BMW 540i equipped with Adaptive LED headlights. They self level depending on the load in the car, and the beams shine into the corners using the steering angle sensor for input. Replacement cost for each light, without the control unit and light module is about $3600.00. The laser light option is about $6k per light.

Easy to see why a light front end hit, enough to deploy an airbag and toast the headlights will now total the average car..............

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was 19 years old I had a $425 ten year old 1960 MGA that was most of my net worth. Paid for by washing dishes for the airlines.
I had to repair it once a month for 4 years.

Now I am 71 years old and have a ~~$2000 18 year old 2004 BMW mini that was given to me.
I have the gas station change the oil. Looking under the hood, it would be like watch repair.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
And, when you get older, in my case 78, there are some things you don't do like you used to.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This was my job for 40 years. Got worse as each year progressed starting in 1981.

-Ken

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax is a masterpiece of inaccessibility.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salty303
Wife's 2018 Escape she rolls in with no low beams. No prob Lordco's only 4 blocks away. I'd sum the rest up about this way
Pros-
Didn't need any tools
No alignment issues no mo so I got that going for me
Cons-
My chubby meat hooks just barely fit into the corner to pop the cover and release the bulb assembly. I gave blood today
No hope of seeing in there so aligning the push and turn assembly takes 13 tries. See above-chubby meat hooks
I forgot how anal you have to be to not touch the halogen bulb. Blew one up for finger grease... back to Lordco
The coolant reservoir need to come out to get at passenger side, no tools, but thought for sure I was going to break plastic its cold out there.
I sure miss my 66 Chev
I feel for you pal. Yes, the ongoing compulsion/obsession to fix vehicles yourself can be a nasty trap at times - but some press on in the face of gloom so now often wear those gloves at this stage. I mostly run a bunch of old Chevs - much easier on the old shade tree mechanic.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
ASE certified master tech going on over 40 years as a tech.
All of the years working on Euro cars, mainly BMW, Benz and Jags.
Not a fan of the newer computers with steering wheels in them.
Wife and I own 5 vehicles, the newest is her 2006 Mustang.

So much of this high tech crap in cars these days costs an arm and a leg to repair and everything has to be programmed as new modules are blank from the factory.
Hell, you can't even replace brakes on the newer stuff without a scan tool to deactivate the brake system.
Dealerships here charging in excess of $180 an hour for labor and the top techs are making $35.00 of that.

Hard, often times dirty back breaking work, but I've never been unemployed for more than 15 minutes in all those years.
And there is a real shortage of techs in the industry right now.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a master with swivel extensions.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A crack mechanic had a hard time changing spark plugs on our 2016 F150.

$500 was cheap!

Guaranteed he took your $500 and never touched them.

LOL

You fugking idiot.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got a 2011 motorhome sitting out here the innanet says I should replace the spark plugs on that v 10 or one day she might decide to change them herself.
E 450. There isn't room for two mice to pass there in spots. That performance is going to get hired out

I’ve done the Super Duty v10 plugs twice, back two are a doodle, used a shop vac with an improvised “heater hose extension” to sucked any acorns, debris deep inside the plug well before unscrewing the sparkplug. Buy a caulk tube of dielectric grease when reassembling.

Took me allll day to do it but the dealership wanted $600+ And that was before JoeFlation

Bought this thing this spring and got my guy to look it over its got 65,000 miles on it scan says zero history of misfiring. Mechanic says take it out and giver its fine for a while. Shouldn't be any harder than a pick up i guess. We'll see if I can muster up enough self hate at the time I may try the job myself. cool

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got a 2011 motorhome sitting out here the innanet says I should replace the spark plugs on that v 10 or one day she might decide to change them herself.
E 450. There isn't room for two mice to pass there in spots. That performance is going to get hired out

I’ve done the Super Duty v10 plugs twice, back two are a doodle, used a shop vac with an improvised “heater hose extension” to sucked any acorns, debris deep inside the plug well before unscrewing the sparkplug. Buy a caulk tube of dielectric grease when reassembling.

Took me allll day to do it but the dealership wanted $600+ And that was before JoeFlation

Bought this thing this spring and got my guy to look it over its got 65,000 miles on it scan says zero history of misfiring. Mechanic says take it out and giver its fine for a while. Shouldn't be any harder than a pick up i guess. We'll see if I can muster up enough self hate at the time I may try the job myself. cool

Pull the boots individually and look for rusty brownish soot on the rubber.
If so, a loose plug. These Tritons like to strip and spit plugs out of that alum head.
Sometimes the CEL won’t indicate or register the miss even though you can feel it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm understanding now why I've been repeatedly seeing a few new / newer models of Ford and GM trucks owned by locals with with only one headlight working....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pull the boots individually and look for rusty brownish soot on the rubber.
If so, a loose plug. These Tritons like to strip and spit plugs out of that alum head.
Sometimes the CEL won’t indicate or register the miss even though you can feel it.
This is very good info/advice.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Misfiring Fords, hardly ever set codes !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you want to drive an older vehicle go ahead, but realize you're sacrificing one thing - safety.

Starting around 2008-2010 auto manufacturers moved from cold rolled mild steel to build vehicles to high strength and today ultra high strength steel for at least part of the "safety cage" that surrounds occupants.

Years ago there was a test on the tv show Motorweek of some French subcompact that was crashed into an older Volvo 240, a vehicle that was designed with safety in mind. That little French car made with a safety cage of high strength steel cut that Volvo into pieces.

The choice is yours.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
445 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 49 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.