Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a friend that has given me a doe this morning quartered and iced down in a cooler. Normally I take deer to a processing facility. Iced down is not optimal for aging, but how long should I let the deer age in the cooler. I will keep it iced down and drained. I was thinking 3-4 days and process on Friday. What are your opinions? Thanks.

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
should be fine. Might rotate the meat each day, so that the same side isn't against the ice the whole time.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I haven’t thought about rotating it but I will do that also. Thanks!

Rick Grimes for Governor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be sure and leave the drain plug open, don't want the meat swimming in water, invitation for some nasty bacteria

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, I am a health inspector so I am real picky about those things 😁.

Rick Grimes for Governor
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep it iced and drained. It will be fine. I've kept them like that for more than a week before without any issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It helps to place the meat on top of the ice to hold the meat up off of the bloody water. Aging like this for at least a few days works well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
We always took a doe in deer camp to be made into venison sausage. We took all the meat off the bones and tossed it into a cooler full of icewater to which was added 1# of salt. This is how we sent it down to the old German sausage maker. Always turned out the best venison sausage I've ever had.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll do it for a few days.

Drain open.

Add ice as needed.

Some folks put salt in with it.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is the only way I do it anymore... I used to hang with the skin on for a a couple of weeks. Now i just use a gutless cleaning method and put the parts in a cooler with ice on the bottom. I let them stay like that for up to 10 days with the water drained out daily. I think it makes a better meat and is easier for me to process at my convenience.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In our freezer, we always keep ice filled containers like 2 liter bottles or half gallon milk cartons. Also a collection of smaller frozen water containers. These keep food or drinks cold without releasing water into the coolers. If just using ice, not only should one leave the drain open but also elevate the other end of the cooler to facilitate water drainage. Some type of grate or frame in the bottom of the cooler also keeps food from swimming. I've got part of a deer in a cooler right now. I'm just keeping it from freezing up here in MI. I hung it with the skin on for a week, then cut it up 2 days ago. The last of it will go in the freezer today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SWGAShooter
Yes, I am a health inspector so I am real picky about those things 😁.

You're a health inspector and you don't know if it's safe to do this? And you're asking us?

LOL

Sorry, but that just strikes my funny chord.

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I asked how long to age in the cooler not if it was safe. I have never aged this way hence my questions.

Thanks for all the other comments and suggestions.

Rick Grimes for Governor
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've done it 5-6 days like this. Once in a while I'll stick a thermometer in it. It's pretty easy to keep in that 38-40 ish range which seems to safely age it a bit. As you and everyone else have mentioned, got to keep the water below the meat. I often use a rack at the bottom of the cooler.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’ll do it for a few days.

Drain open.

Add ice as needed.

Some folks put salt in with it.

Same here....works great.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done it as long as 8 days, draining the water off each day, with much of my cooling effect coming from frozen milk jugs. I'd pour bagged ice on top and the frozen jugs kept that ice from melting very fast. Rotate jugs out for new frozen ones every 3 days or so. I try to keep half a dozen in the freezer during deer season.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
It helps to place the meat on top of the ice to hold the meat up off of the bloody water. Aging like this for at least a few days works well.

^^ This ^^

Don't let the meat soak in the ice. Put news paper (if such a thing exists anymore) or something else between the meat and the ice.

2 Kings 2:23-24
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just to be sure, put a thermometer on top of the meat. The top will be the warmest place in the cooler. If you can't keep it below about 45, don't leave it in there more than a few days.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I kept a doe on ice from Tues until Sat last week until I had time to butcher. I drained out the water every evening and made sure I had plenty of ice in the cooler. Ate some backstrap and some round already and she is eating just fine. Draining the water off is important.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I usually go 10-14 days in the cooler. Over the years I've steadily increased it and never had an issue. As others have said keep the drain open and keep the quarters separated from each other by ice. I cut my backstraps into 1 1/4" butterflies and if cooked med rare you don't need a knife.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,174 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.