-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a good book on mules by Walter Rickell. It's titled The Misunderstood Mule. Rickell was a friend of mine. He owned and rode saddle mules and had a couple of pack mules he used in the Sierra for deer hunting. He also wrote gun articles for a couple of the gun magazines.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154356766629?hash=item23f06157a5:g:pzgAAOSwvVxgO9Fd&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoMv9IwOPNeEfEh07va%2FPQlFqVtfVWy11K%2BNsqBdIFDhD0Zj0nlEpxgXbmSunlYqAgTb82zfgXTugKwQTWfcPhBULV8joBslyxSi%2Bvm0VPB5n61qRKg49dTFqzM00mKE38f5XKrkQ7JtD0LewRVk5N9Hpsf44IuRNAQffB3LrhAsnJqFFEtybyJ4CQvLZPxxQsYUfJQfUOQlKPyt1lbyBQxw%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6i0sv6ZYQ

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Eric doesn't just SEEM like a nice guy, he genuinely IS a nice guy. Proud to call him friend.
In my defense, Don, I only spoke with the gent about 20 minutes.

Glad my first impression is correct.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing I know is that, on one elk hunt, the outfitter had mules. They were giants — I don’t know how many hands, but big. It seemed their withers were level with my eyes although I’m sure they weren’t that tall. I’m six feet tall.

My first thought was, “oh Lord, what have I gotten myself into..”. It was the smoothest, most sure footed ride I ever experienced. Didn’t try to bite me, buck me off, or jump over small obstacles like some horses I’ve ridden had.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
My first thought was, “oh Lord, what have I gotten myself into..”. It was the smoothest, most sure footed ride I ever experienced. Didn’t try to bite me, buck me off, or jump over small obstacles like some horses I’ve ridden had.

There are a whole lot of folks that once they started riding a mule, never went back to horses.

Here is 16+hd Tennessee Walker mule I raised and rode years ago. Super smooth but covered a lot of country fast.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This one was only15 hds, but tough as nails. Mama was a Haflinger.

Her sister.

As I aged, gravity and old bones got the better of me and I down sized.These are the size I like now. 13&1/2 h under saddle and 13 hand packer before I had to give elk hunting up. I still get out and ride the dun mule when I can.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/03/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Nice looking mules. I worked as a guide in the Bob Marshal one fall. The outfitter Had a mix of horses and mules. All were good stock

and easy to work with but I preferred the mules.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good mares and good jacks make good mules.The better disposition in the mare and the jack, the better disposition in the mule and that is darn important in a mule. Even more important when breeding donkeys.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

There are a whole lot of folks that once they started riding a mule, never went back to horses.

Here is 16+hd Tennessee Walker mule I raised and rode years ago. Super smooth but covered a lot of country fast.

This one was only15 hds, but tough as nails. Mama was a Haflinger.

Her sister.

As I aged, gravity and old bones got the better of me and I down sized.These are the size I like now. 13&1/2 h under saddle and 13 hand packer before I had to give elk hunting up. I still get out and ride the dun mule when I can.

Knew a gent who crossed a jenny with an Arabian.
Calm, well mannered and Arabian stamina. Melvin was awesome!

David was a farrier, a trainer and a hell of a calf roper!
The problem was, David had a bay mare mule that he roped off of!
Those old hard core quarter horse guys got madder than hell when David walked off with the pot! LOL!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Her sister.

Knew a gent who crossed a jenny with an Arabian.
Calm, well mannered and Arabian stamina. Melvin was awesome!

David was a farrier, a trainer and a hell of a calf roper!
The problem was, David had a bay mare mule that he roped off of!
Those old hard core quarter horse guys got madder than hell when David walked off with the pot! LOL!

I never liked Arabian mules. Too smart and that warm blood came out every once in awhile. I had the hardest, roughest ride of my life on a bucking Arabian mule.

Back in the 70's early 80's a lot of horse competitions barred mules because of they beat horses for the blue ribbons.A person will see some really good roping mules at the Bishop Mule Days every year over Memorial Day weekend.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just for the record....
In ancient Israel, mules were a sign of royalty. King David's 70 sons rode mules. When David proclaimed his son Solomon to be his heir, he had Solomon put on his own personal mule.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have nothing to add to this post as I am totally ignorant of mules, donkeys, burros, and horses. Llamas too. But I have to say this is one of the most interesting discussions I have ever read. Thank you gentlemen.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I had no idea a mule got that size. 18 hands is enough to need a ladder to get on. Wonder how much it weighed?

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Totally agree . Interesting as heck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope you guys aren't done with the stories.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've considered getting a couple of smaller burros for packing elk. You can get pack saddle broke burros from Canon city or the honor farm I think.

old news article

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/28/23.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I've considered getting a couple of smaller burros for packing elk. You can get pack saddle broke burros from Canon city or the honor farm I think.

old news article

They may be broke to pack saddles meaning they had one one, but not broke to packing. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore

old news article

They may be broke to pack saddles meaning they had one one, but not broke to packing. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Yes I apologize if you inferred from my post that I didn't believe more training would be required. That's not what I intended to portray.

I am well aware that stock requires training and significant time

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/29/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was surprised at how much stronger or maybe more sure footed mules were than horses when we hunted a Colorado wilderness area. Our pack horses and riding horses would zig zag up the steep mountain trails, but I saw pack mules go straight up the mountain.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Windfall
I was surprised at how much stronger or maybe more sure footed mules were than horses when we hunted a Colorado wilderness area. Our pack horses and riding horses would zig zag up the steep mountain trails, but I saw pack mules go straight up the mountain.

Most people wanting to get a mule, think they need one as big as the horse they are use to riding,when a smaller mule will do the same job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

old news article
I think I would strongly lean towards burros over goats or llamas if I was really interested in a small pack critter. Main reason for me is I foresee the other two being prohibited eventually in areas with wild sheep.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer

old news article
I think I would strongly lean towards burros over goats or llamas if I was really interested in a small pack critter. Main reason for me is I foresee the other two being prohibited eventually in areas with wild sheep.
As I've said in a couple earlier posts, I have llamas but donkeys were my 1st choice. I just couldn't find any other than minis and those are useless for packing. Good llamas are now very hard to find and they're expensive. When I got into it 15 years ago, llamas were dirt cheap. Things have changed. Goats you can find anywhere. There are goat dairies around that always have buck kids to sell or give away. Both goats and llamas are very easy to train and pack. I've never tried donkeys to say how hard they are to train.
The issue of goats or llamas being prohibited in wild sheep areas has become a non-issue. The anti-goaters have never shown any serious evidence that disease transmission is a problem or even possible. They tried to prohibit goats here in a couple Idaho wilderness areas but couldn't get it done because they couldn't show that there was a real issue.

edit: I got curious and checked Craigslist for current llama prices. Even the cheapest potential packer will bring $500 and good ones start at about $1500. They're nuts.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.