Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My second shoulder surgery was enough to convince me, to stop shooting the heavy pounders.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
You could if you want both. I don't think a skunk or beaver that is shot at a decent range would be able to tell the difference. I can tell you for a fact, the turkeys I have killed with a 12 ga are just as dead as the ones I have shot with a 20 ga.

That is the great part of being a gun nut and living in America, we can choose either or both.

👆

I'll double down on this, right here. Yep.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
My second shoulder surgery was enough to convince me, to stop shooting the heavy pounders.

Good reminder...

A couple years ago I was trying a savage 24 in 12 gauge and that thing destroyed my shoulder and I bought my franchi 20 gauge to hunt with that spring.

You have convinced me a turkey only single shot will be 20 gauge.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your shoulder gives you serious trouble.......you may wanna go .410 for turkey.

I have a healthy shoulder. And I've never been very recoil-sensitive. But a 3" turkey load in a single 20 is NOT your average pussycat. Especially if you have to twist out of position at all. My gun has a pretty good pad on it. But it's still fairly snappy on the hind end. Never did the actual math for free recoil. But I'd say it's close to the same as a 9 pound .300 Magnum.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Yoder409
If your shoulder gives you serious trouble.......you may wanna go .410 for turkey.

I have a healthy shoulder. And I've never been very recoil-sensitive. But a 3" turkey load in a single 20 is NOT your average pussycat. Especially if you have to twist out of position at all. My gun has a pretty good pad on it. But it's still fairly snappy on the hind end. Never did the actual math for free recoil. But I'd say it's close to the same as a 9 pound .300 Magnum.

That's food for thought. The local retailer has a stevens 301 in 20 and 410 on the rack... and some 410 tss loads

Looking at the TSS ammo on the shelf.. I saw
410 @ 13/16 oz (vel 1100 fps)
20 @ 5/8 oz (vel 1000 fps)
12 gauge 3 inch @ 1 3/4 oz. (vel 1200 fps)

Thats not much of a step down from 12 to 20

Although looking at physics impulse momentum equations of MxV = MxV would say that 12 gauge load will be stouter because of the higher velocity and mass.

I just dont know if I can do the 410 though.

The shoulder recovered and I went back to a 12 gauge last season. Mostly because I have a lot of 12 gauge shells and will switch to 20 gauge when they deplete or old age gets me.

Last edited by humdinger; 12/06/22.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by humdinger

Why so ?? Just the thought of it ?? That a .410 just CAN'T be a turkey gun ??

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Why so ?? Just the thought of it ?? That a .410 just CAN'T be a turkey gun ??

Because Luther wouldn't respect me in the morning.

Not sure why... I see the 410's trend and it really only performs with TSS and I struggle with people using marginal lead shot loads and making poor judgment calls. Especially when they couldn't find TSS or any 410 loads and were shooting anything they could find.

Maybe its a little stunt shooting in my mind, but there is a lot of data that shows it works and those affordable 301's fuel the trend.

I'm thinking on it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
you are assuming he respects you now....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just for the record, I would have a hard time going to a 410 as well. I have seen birds killed first hand with a 410, but it took me a long time to go from 12 to 20....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because Luther wouldn't respect me in the morning.

Luther doesn't respecr ANYONE. Even when they know more about a subject than does he. He's proving that in several other Fire threads at this very moment and he's proven it time and again in this very turkey forum. 🤡

🤣🤣🤣

It ain't a big deal. Everyone who matters will respect your choice no matter what. 😉👍

I was also a skeptic when the .410 turkey craze began. But I'm open-minded and don't pretend to know everything. So, I did what any reasonable, thinking man woul do. I set one up and TRIED IT........with my own two hands.......my own two eyes.

You ARE right. A guy could do some really dumb and irresponsible stuff to a turkey using a .410, lead shot and zero restraint. The gun I set up is only a 30 yard gun with lead. NO MORE. Paper proves it. Don't under-estimate......carry a rangefinder.

But with #9 or #9.5 TSS........... 40 yards is responsibly do-able. But no more. Believe it.

If you were anywhere near me, I'd invite you to my back yard. I've got a patterning range set up 365 days a year (a guy never knows when a question will arise) and a lifetime supply of 30" paper. Be happy to let you settle the 20....410.....lead.....TSS "mystery" that escapes some.....

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yoder hit the hail on the head about the 410, restraint, is the key word. I guess that goes with about any shotgun when it comes to game, know your pattern and know your limits.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yoder hit the hail on the head about the 410, restraint, is the key word. I guess that goes with about any shotgun when it comes to game, know your pattern and know your limits.

👆

Carve that in a stone, somewhere.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I didn't believe #9 shot for turkey for a long time... until I tried it!

I'd like to try TSS out of my 56 cal smooth bore T/C, but figure the hardness of the shot wouldn't be too good for the barrel.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I didn't believe #9 shot for turkey for a long time... until I tried it!

I'd like to try TSS out of my 56 cal smooth bore T/C, but figure the hardness of the shot wouldn't be too good for the barrel.

No way to load it in a shot cup? Isn't 28 Gauge .55 caliber? Some buffered #9 in a 28 gauge wad over some BP wouldn't work? Sorry, I don't use BP shotguns so maybe it's not plausible.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/06/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
if you're not just bs shooting one shell after
another for fun, a 12 single would serve you
well enough (as long as the price was right)
i use mixed NEF/H&R guns for everything
with no problems
The cheapest was $50.00 at a pawn shop
some years ago. I've killed deer and assorted
small game and varmints with it

Unfortunately they're stupid priced now.
I'll be buying one of the 301 chinee models
if I ever need another

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Where does everyone get the idea that you gotta have 3 1/2" ammo and #2 shot to kill a turkey?

I have killed numerous birds with plain Jane ol' #8 lead shot in standard 2 3/4" ammo.

It only takes one pellet to the brain or to disrupt the CNS to anchor a bird. Turkey bones are NOT made of steel!

"Pattern density kills, not shot size."

I want as dense a pattern as possible down range.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Lol! No one is saying #2 for turkey, that was for beaver!

I don't like plastic wads when using blackpowder, makes a real mess so the TSS shot would have contact with the barrel. Tried plastic wads when I started using my 10ga ML, what a mess! The wads melt and leave some nasty stringy residue. Takes a lot of cleaning to get rid of it all.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't like plastic wads when using blackpowder, makes a real mess so the TSS shot would have contact with the barrel. Tried plastic wads when I started using my 10ga ML, what a mess! The wads melt and leave some nasty stringy residue. Takes a lot of cleaning to get rid of it all.

I've got no experience with ML shotguns so didn't know that. I was wondering since I shoot plastic sabots in my ML rifles and it's kind of the same principle.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/06/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

I've got no experience with ML shotguns so didn't know that. I was wondering since I shoot plastic sabots in my ML rifles and it's kind of the same principle.

Do you remember moly coated bullets?
Spray the wad exterior with that and it may reduce sticking.

I'd try PTFE mold release spray also. That's high temp capable Teflon lubricant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might be an idea here.............

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 66 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.