-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This right here is what elk season is all about. Awesome right up!!!

Todd

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by T_Inman
My goodness. Nice work and you’re living HIGH CLASS.

I am usually hunkered underneath a tarp or in the front seat of the pickup when at ‘camp’ and shoving handfuls of trail mix in my mouth for ‘meals’ 3 times a day.

Color me impressed and a bit envious.
Besides having a nice place to sleep, eat, and play dominoes the inside setup for the tent is really pretty cool in its own right. My Grandad’s best friend was a hardware and appliance store owner for 60 years. They built the gas line setup for the lights and stove. He also sourced us an old gas range with live pilots so the burners don’t have to be lit with a match and it doesn’t need electricity for the igniters like a modern gas stove. Grandad always makes it a point to emphasize that “she’s the last of her kind boys and you have to be gentle with her or we’ll never be able to replace her”.

One year in the 70’s they tried electric lights and a generator. The noise and hassle of refueling and starting the generator caused an instant switch back to gas lights.

My master tinkerer, fabricator, mechanic, Mr Fixit uncle built the bunks back in the 80’s. They’re color coded for easy assembly and each has a piece of plywood cut to fit.

The kitchen “cabinets” are built to screw together and have a full set of pots, pans, utensils, and dishes sufficient for 12 guys to eat two meals before you have to wash them. That way the dishes don’t have to be done between breakfast and supper.

A few years ago we modified the rear vestibule to house a shower. We have to haul a little more water but a hot shower every third day sure beats one at the end of the 9 days trip.

It really is a neat setup and we’re all pretty proud of it and all the parts and the way they’ve evolved over the decades. We’ve had many visitors come by for a peek inside or to share a cup of coffee or a meal. From curious locals or nearby camps to game wardens who were impressed with our camp.

That's an incredible setup! How many trucks does it take to haul all that up the hill?

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Westman
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by T_Inman
My goodness. Nice work and you’re living HIGH CLASS.

I am usually hunkered underneath a tarp or in the front seat of the pickup when at ‘camp’ and shoving handfuls of trail mix in my mouth for ‘meals’ 3 times a day.

Color me impressed and a bit envious.
Besides having a nice place to sleep, eat, and play dominoes the inside setup for the tent is really pretty cool in its own right. My Grandad’s best friend was a hardware and appliance store owner for 60 years. They built the gas line setup for the lights and stove. He also sourced us an old gas range with live pilots so the burners don’t have to be lit with a match and it doesn’t need electricity for the igniters like a modern gas stove. Grandad always makes it a point to emphasize that “she’s the last of her kind boys and you have to be gentle with her or we’ll never be able to replace her”.

One year in the 70’s they tried electric lights and a generator. The noise and hassle of refueling and starting the generator caused an instant switch back to gas lights.

My master tinkerer, fabricator, mechanic, Mr Fixit uncle built the bunks back in the 80’s. They’re color coded for easy assembly and each has a piece of plywood cut to fit.

The kitchen “cabinets” are built to screw together and have a full set of pots, pans, utensils, and dishes sufficient for 12 guys to eat two meals before you have to wash them. That way the dishes don’t have to be done between breakfast and supper.

A few years ago we modified the rear vestibule to house a shower. We have to haul a little more water but a hot shower every third day sure beats one at the end of the 9 days trip.

It really is a neat setup and we’re all pretty proud of it and all the parts and the way they’ve evolved over the decades. We’ve had many visitors come by for a peek inside or to share a cup of coffee or a meal. From curious locals or nearby camps to game wardens who were impressed with our camp.

That's an incredible setup! How many trucks does it take to haul all that up the hill?

It all fits in one trailer. Lately a 16’ enclosed cargo trailer but in years past we generally hauled it in a stock trailer we use to haul cattle. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Here’s a better kitchen picture [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Deluxe “facility” out back. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jeebus, your crapper is fancier than my whole setup!

Cool outfit you have for certain.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That wood stove must keep y’all toasty! That rascal must be pretty dang heavy to tote.

The gas stove is awesome! Do y’all use the oven to bake too?

What was the coldest weather you camped in?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
The wood stove is a Better’n Ben’s, brick lined and 3/8” plate construction. It’s a heavy sucker but it draws and dampers well and holds heat all night.

The gas range is fully functional right down to the oven and broiler. We use the oven to bake biscuits, hams, and turkeys, as well as scratch made cornbread and the occasional pot pie.

This year we had pretty cold temps, it was 9deg several mornings. There’s been years where it’s been brutally cold staying in the low teens for highs but not in the last couple decades. The black plastic sheeting covering the tent in the above picture not only helps shed snow but is remarkably effective at trapping heat in the tent as well as catching the sun and heating the tent during the day.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
👍

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
That’s awesome! Congrats on living it up. Hope you find a way to continue the camp.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
thanks for the story!

i am one of the "aged out" guys and i sure miss it.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That is one awesome camp!!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Truly, an awe inspiring, adventure Kid !!

Loved it.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great stuff Kid, thanks for sharing it with us.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kid, how long will it be before you bring your son along? I bet he's ready, already.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was initially planning on bringing him along this year just so he could share a camp with his Great Grandad who he’s named after. We’ll see what next year holds as far as Grandad’s health goes. He’s 90 now and in better shape than any other 90 year old I know so we’ll hope for the best.

When he was 87 he bought his last bull tag and went up the mountain every day and sat in a saddle where he’s killed several bulls in the past. One evening at dark when we came off the mountain there were two wardens waiting at the trailhead. I asked if they needed to check my license and they declined but said they’d heard there was a nearly 90 year old man from Oklahoma up here hunting way up on the ridge and they were waiting to meet him and shake his hand. He showed up shortly after and like to have never got away from him they talked so long.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Dad is almost 96 and this is the first year he hasn't hunted with a gun. I'm sure your little man is ready, enjoy your time together it goes by fast.

Life is good live it while you can.
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Great adventures!
Sadly, there are only 2 regulars left of our original elk camp. Also watched a big elk camp of a bunch of old Norwegians from Seattle in the Cascades dwindle over a period of years. Sad since you know your time is coming…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You guys must dream about that trip all year! Thanks for sharing a great story. Wish we had more tales like this to read here in the Campfire Forums.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent write up and a tradition to be proud of! Well done in respects!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G.G Dad needs G.G son in elk camp . that would be great for both I am sure in my op. glade you had a good time kid

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.