Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM
LBK. HOWDY! How's your hammer hanging Son? Hope all is well and you came through the China Plague unharmed. This place is amazing. 3 years gone, and walk into the same conversation. What's even more amazing? You inform them of a factory marking that could resolve their dilemma.
Bubkis! Totally ignored, phfffffft they continue kibitzing over minutia like swivels .

I dunno, maybe its just me, call me practical, I'll take the letters RS slammed into steel at forge over whether the sling stud is textbook perfect. Its an accessory Any idiot can change an accessory. The receiver IS the gun.

I had a Pinto with Lincoln hubcaps. Didn't make it a Mark IV.

Hang in there brother.

Thank God we have another condescending self-proclaimed genius to set us all straight.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAM
You inform them of a factory marking that could resolve their dilemma.
Bubkis! Totally ignored, phfffffft they continue kibitzing over minutia like swivels ..
It’s worth looking at, but hasn’t proved helpful for oddballs that show up 1945-1949. Pretty much every one is stamped EG, even all the RTs that I remember.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM
LBK. HOWDY! How's your hammer hanging Son? Hope all is well and you came through the China Plague unharmed. This place is amazing. 3 years gone, and walk into the same conversation. What's even more amazing? You inform them of a factory marking that could resolve their dilemma.
Bubkis! Totally ignored, phfffffft they continue kibitzing over minutia like swivels .

I dunno, maybe its just me, call me practical, I'll take the letters RS slammed into steel at forge over whether the sling stud is textbook perfect. Its an accessory Any idiot can change an accessory. The receiver IS the gun.

I had a Pinto with Lincoln hubcaps. Didn't make it a Mark IV.

Hang in there brother.

That's the Ram I remember. Wife and I are fine. No China flu. Nothing has really changed. Most of, but not all, of the old timers stick to the PM but don't post . I hope you stick around this time.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RAM

I dunno, maybe its just me, call me practical, I'll take the letters RS slammed into steel at forge over whether the sling stud is textbook perfect. ... The receiver IS the gun.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by RAM
Bubkis! Totally ignored, phfffffft they continue kibitzing over minutia like swivels ..
It’s worth looking at, but hasn’t proved helpful for oddballs that show up 1945-1949. Pretty much every one is stamped EG, even all the RTs that I remember.

Uhhh... where would the model stamping be? Never saw anything similar on ours...

Oh, never mind. Reviewing the serial number thread, I see all I've got is an "X".

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 12/06/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not doubting your memory Rory, but I have two RTs, both of which have a “5” stamped on the front of the receiver. Neither is stamped EG - at least according to my records - I didn’t pull the forearms again. (One has a “4” and the other has a “5” stamped on on the bottom of the barrel.)

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Following this with interest as I have what I believe to be a R and a RS.

Appears to me there is no 100% certain way to identify either.

I will pull the Fore ends and see what's marked.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jaaack
Not doubting your memory Rory, but I have two RTs, both of which have a “5” stamped on the front of the receiver. Neither is stamped EG - at least according to my records - I didn’t pull the forearms again. (One has a “4” and the other has a “5” stamped on on the bottom of the barrel.)
Always doubt my memory! grin

Need to pull out all my prewar 99R's and 99RS's and check the front as well. Everyone I remember has an 8. But never took notes on them.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What's the cutoff join date for "old timers"? Obviously I'm not in that group but just curious.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The mystery deepens.

I dragged out my 99 300 Sav. 24" bbl serial 73238X that was sold to me years ago as an R model.
It appears to conform to everything in David's book.
But unlike my prewar RS, the fore arm is held on with a screw fastened to a female dovetaill let into the barrel.
Clarification ?

Another thing I ran across is that the 99 wearing the T7 in his book has the mounting screws much farther forward than my RS or the one shown in old Weaver ad. The one in thge book also has flush screws rather than the knurled ones handscrews on mine and in the ad. Looks and carries better no doubt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by damnesia
What's the cutoff join date for "old timers"? Obviously I'm not in that group but just curious.

The "old timers" are the guys that were here before the new guys got here and ruined it. wink

I'm not in the old timer club either so don't feel bad...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
From my perspective the 'old timers' are the guys that migrated over from the Gun & knife forum where this all started. When it shut down Rick99 found a home for us here and we all signed up.

I think that Rick has a roster of the old G&K guys.

Today none of that matters a lot to me. A lot of folks wandered in and became part of the group and respected members. It's not the age but the cut of yer jib that matters to me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Frankly, absolutely no offense intended, I'm impressed a lot of the "old-timers" where computer literate enough in the 1990s to participate in online forums. I'm no spring chicken but a lot of the really long time members are probably about my dad's age, from what I can tell. It took him a very long time to even own a computer and even longer to participate in hunting and gun forums.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Im pretty sure this forum hasn't been ruined!!! one of the best on the campfire. But we who have been here for some time do hear the same questions asked over,and over,and over ! grin grin newbys got to learn somewhere! smile

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Would help out with duplicate questions if the search function worked decently.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
The mystery deepens.

I dragged out my 99 300 Sav. 24" bbl serial 73238X that was sold to me years ago as an R model.
It appears to conform to everything in David's book.
But unlike my prewar RS, the fore arm is held on with a screw fastened to a female dovetaill let into the barrel.
Clarification ?

Another thing I ran across is that the 99 wearing the T7 in his book has the mounting screws much farther forward than my RS or the one shown in old Weaver ad. The one in thge book also has flush screws rather than the knurled ones handscrews on mine and in the ad. Looks and carries better no doubt.
1) The 1950 99R forearm eyelet goes into the wood, and a screw holds the forearm on. You can see the forearm eyelet and the screw hold on the forearm here.
[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

2) Prewar 99RS forearm studs replaced the forearm screw for attaching the forearm. As seen here:
[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

3) The T7 mounts do wander a bit.. it's believed the factory ones would be placed like the ad, but there's no firm confirmation on that. I think the standard screws were the knurled heads, and really nice ones show that many were case colored (iirc).

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Loggah
Im pretty sure this forum hasn't been ruined!!! one of the best on the campfire. But we who have been here for some time do hear the same questions asked over,and over,and over ! grin grin newbys got to learn somewhere! smile
And by having people come in and ask questions, even if it's the same questions we've seen 500 times... once in a great while, we find out something new.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by damnesia
Would help out with duplicate questions if the search function worked decently.

Ain't that the truth! The so-called search here SUX!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Calhoun, thanks for the clarification.
My R is a wonderful rifle wearing a Denver Redfield 4X post and CH scope.
Shoots 3 factory 150s in 1" @100.

Also appears you T7 mount is higher and farther forward than mine or the Weaver ad. Suppose Savage must have done the holes w/o a jig.

Last edited by ElkHtrNevada; 12/06/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
Also appears you T7 mount is higher and farther forward than mine or the Weaver ad. Suppose Savage must have done the holes w/o a jig.
Or that those guns weren't done by the factory.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoes getting a 'lil tight? And you thought you were King [bleep] on Enema Island? At least you recognize greatness when you read it.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,887 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.