Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone done it and did you have any problems ?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most hardware running 8 won't work on 10.

If you have a very late computer w/8.1, it MIGHT work, most likely not.

Unless you are pretty handy with computers, the trouble is not really worth the effort.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did it quite a while ago and it was pretty easy. 10 works slightly differently from 8, but not enough to be a problem...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is a 12 year old, 32bit Samsung NC10. I haven't used it much. It's kind of a long story but I just didn't need it. My tablet recently died and I want to have a small computer I can set in the chair with while watching TV.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As cheap as laptops are these days, that is the route I would go- in fact it is the route I am going to go in a few weeks....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 7 or 8 year old SurfacePro that I don't use all that often, but thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Took several attempts, but finally got it done.

I think my issue was that I hadn't updated that machine in quite a while. If I had to do it over again, I'd make sure to run all of the updates first, then do the switch.

Anyway, it works fine now.

YMMV

I hate Microsoft and Bill Gates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
This is a 12 year old, 32bit Samsung NC10. I haven't used it much. It's kind of a long story but I just didn't need it. My tablet recently died and I want to have a small computer I can set in the chair with while watching TV.

kwg

Won’t work bud sorry. The 32 bit is your killer.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See the thread about Linux Mint. As long as you're installing a new OS, you might as well switch to Linux.

For a machine that old, I'd strongly suggest ZORIN CORE as your new system. It comes with all the software you'll need for home use (and much more is available, almost all free) and you'll feel right at home navigating and using it.

Twenty minutes to download it, 20 more to make a bootable USB disk, and then 20 to install. Full instructions at the website HERE.

OOps! I missed the 32-bit comment. For that machine, you can use either LINUX MINT DEBIAN, or the 32-bit version of MX

Added: One I have not personally test-driven, but gets high marks is ANTIX which is aimed at the new user, has a 32-bit option, and easy to install.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 12/06/22.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

kwg
I built my current desktop in 2009, it is socket AM2+. It started out on Windows XP and has been running Windows 10 since it was released.
I doubt you'll have any hardware incompatibility issues as long as you don't try to save your personal files. If you need to save them I recommend you save them elsewhere first but you don't have to. It should be a simple, straight forward upgrade.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
I have a 7 or 8 year old SurfacePro that I don't use all that often, but thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Took several attempts, but finally got it done.

I think my issue was that I hadn't updated that machine in quite a while. If I had to do it over again, I'd make sure to run all of the updates first, then do the switch.

Anyway, it works fine now.

YMMV

I hate Microsoft and Bill Gates.
I tried running updates for Windows 7 and it wouldn't let me. But, I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to computers and maintaining them. I would of been happy with Windows 7 until it died.

kwg

IC B3

kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sawbuck

kwg
I built my current desktop in 2009, it is socket AM2+. It started out on Windows XP and has been running Windows 10 since it was released.
I doubt you'll have any hardware incompatibility issues as long as you don't try to save your personal files. If you need to save them I recommend you save them elsewhere first but you don't have to. It should be a simple, straight forward upgrade.
So you are saying do a complete install something like as if it was new ?

kwg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A complete new install would be best. First, copy and move all your personal folders, passwords, bookmarks and such to an external drive. Don't use Backup; do a copy and paste.

Then install a newcomer-friendly version of Linux. See my earlier post.

Really. Trust me. You'll thank me.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Most hardware running 8 won't work on 10.

If you have a very late computer w/8.1, it MIGHT work, most likely not.

Unless you are pretty handy with computers, the trouble is not really worth the effort.

MM

I don't know if I agree with that. I've upgraded many win 7 computers to 10. Is the free upgrade still available? Been a few years since I used it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
A complete new install would be best. First, copy and move all your personal folders, passwords, bookmarks and such to an external drive. Don't use Backup; do a copy and paste.

Then install a newcomer-friendly version of Linux. See my earlier post.

Really. Trust me. You'll thank me.

is there one in particular you can recommend? I googled it an' there were serval. thx

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We turn our Windows up to 11.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spook, for an old 32-bit machine, see my post about five above.

For a 64-bit, if it originally came with Win-7, first look at ZORIN CORE

If it originally came with Win-10, by all means look at MINT CINNAMON

But first, go to YouTube and watch a few videos by Thor. He has over 400 vids detailing many, many kinds of Linux and what you can do with them. Focus on the look and feel, and capabilities rather than the details of "how-to". LINK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Spook, for an old 32-bit machine, see my post about five above.

For a 64-bit, if it originally came with Win-7, first look at ZORIN CORE

If it originally came with Win-10, by all means look at MINT CINNAMON

But first, go to YouTube and watch a few videos by Thor. He has over 400 vids detailing many, many kinds of Linux and what you can do with them. Focus on the look and feel, and capabilities rather than the details of "how-to". LINK

You Da Man ! Big Thx

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll say this: of all the people who switch to Linux from either Windows or Mac, very, VERY few ever go back. They may do a bit of "distro shopping" to find the version of Linux they prefer, or which suits their needs best - but they stick with Linux.

I have personally test-driven something like 25 different versions. Some I liked a lot, some not so much, some were just too weird, and some required too much technical skill to attempt. The three that I currently have loaded permanently on machines are Zorin, MX, and Mint. The MX laptop is my "test bed" for exploring new distros, and serves as my backup machine. The Zorin laptop is my travel machine. It was originally a Windows Student machine (an attempt to cut into the Chromebook market) with very low resources (4/64 Mb) and was well under $200. I keep no personal data on it, and if it gets lost or stolen, it will be no loss. It runs like a scalded cat on Zorin.

My daily driver is this old Dell mini-tower running Mint 21.0 (which will soon to auto-upgrade to 21.1) I put a larger SSD in it recently, a simple plug-in job. I have a 1 Tb Toshiba portable drive hooked to it to keep copies of all my personal stuff and also to hold my weekly system backups.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you don't need a "real" computer, get a Chrome Book. Cheap as chips.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
True, and I used to have one. But it is an "online only" machine totally based in Google. So EVERYTHING you do, watch, search, or type is run through Google's spy circuits. There is ZERO privacy on a Chromebook.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.