Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Related question: anyone put a Shaw barrel on their AR? I get lots of emails from Shaw pushing their AR barrels. Curious as to the quality.

I put together an upper using a Shaw barrel (350 Legend) and it shoots as well as an MGM barrel (same caliber) I bought for my encore. Very heavy barrel though.

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
ARIC

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve purchased quite a few barrel blanks over the years, probably over 10,000 from many different companies, Krieger, Lothar Walther, Bauska, Hart, Douglas, Shilan, Lilja, Pac-Nor, X-Caliber, Green Mountain, Wilson Combat, Brux, and I’m sure many others I don’t recall.

My vote goes to Pac-Nor. I’m talking about blanks here, you would still need to have someone good machine it from there.

At one time we made small caliber stuff and the Pac-Nor’s would routinely shoot in the 1’s and 2’s from an AR-15.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Last edited by TonyRumore; 12/06/22.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I’ve purchased quite a few barrel blanks over the years, probably over 10,000 from many different companies, Krieger, Lothar Walther, Bauska, Hart, Douglas, Shilan, Lilja, Pac-Nor, X-Caliber, Green Mountain, Wilson Combat, Brux, and I’m sure many others I don’t recall.

My vote goes to Pac-Nor. I’m talking about blanks here, you would still need to have someone good machine it from there.

At one time we made small caliber stuff and the Pac-Nor’s would routinely shoot in the 1’s and 2’s from an AR-15.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

No WOA? Also wondering how many guys here have a Pac Nor AR15 barrel???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOA doesn't sell blanks...........they machine blanks that they buy from various sources including Wilson Arms (Not Wilson Combat), Bartlein & Shilen.

So he really could not have bought a WOA "blank."

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Related question: anyone put a Shaw barrel on their AR? I get lots of emails from Shaw pushing their AR barrels. Curious as to the quality.

I don't have any barrels that I know came from Shaw, but "Mule Deer" (John Barsness here in the "fire) says they are pretty good, & the guy that owns AR Performance says that they are pretty good as well, & I've also heard that Wilson Combat was making their barrels from Shaw blanks.

WC now claims that they make (as in rifling, not just contouring) their own barrels but I don't know the timeframes involved.................but I do have a fairly recent (late last year) lightweight barrel from WC that shoots very, very well as in <MOA, but I don't know for sure who did the rifling.

I'd be inclined to buy a barrel from Shaw if they have the contour profile that you might want............truthfully, over the years, I've never really heard anybody seriously trashing them, but that's mostly related to bolt guns.

MM

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It’s fairly well buried by now but if you wanted to revisit the 10 shot challenge from a while back you’ll see some shaw barreled Stag rifles shot very well.

Mine was one of them and I don’t claim to be able to wring all the accuracy out of an AR

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’m not sure about that - I can get most of them to shoot inside a dime at 100 yards with the right accurizing.

Originally Posted by wareagle700
I think you will be disappointed.
Expecting that accuracy from that type AR just isn't going to happen with a human behind the rifle.

Having said that, the most accurate barrel would be a high end custom with a tight match chamber and properly headspaced bolt. Why do you need a .5 MOA SBR???

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
It’s fairly well buried by now but if you wanted to revisit the 10 shot challenge from a while back you’ll see some shaw barreled Stag rifles shot very well.

Mine was one of them and I don’t claim to be able to wring all the accuracy out of an AR

Cert, did all the Stag's have shaw barrels? I bought one based on some of you guys' recommendations on accurate AR's. The heavy barreled Stag I bought was very accurate. It was a Stag 6 I believe. I sold it for a few reasons. Some of which I found out were substantial after using it for a while Like MM used to day, it was like a truck axle (being a heavy 24" tube), my lighter weight Windham weaponry shot just as well, and the Stag was a left hander. All of which I realized I did not need.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I’m not sure about that - I can get most of them to shoot inside a dime at 100 yards with the right accurizing.

Expecting that accuracy from that type AR just isn't going to happen with a human behind the rifle.

Having said that, the most accurate barrel would be a high end custom with a tight match chamber and properly headspaced bolt. Why do you need a .5 MOA SBR???

Everyone can I guess. According to a lot of posts we used to hear about. I'm glad we don't hear the bs as much as we used to hear. That black rifle challenge, that certifiable mentioned, here kind of toned down that talk a bit.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BSA, yes they were all Shaw, and you are correct on the model 6.
To be honest mine shot so well initially, 6 others in my circle bought the same rifle. None had regrets

Out of those I think only 3 of us participated in the challenge.

You are dead right about the weight they are pigs but that didn’t bother me as my only plan for it was bench shooting

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
"... most accurate barrel ..."

Rather subjective I'd say.

The more you spend on a barrel, the better your chances of getting something accurate.
Money, in and of itself, doesn't make the barrel accurate, but that more care was taken to produce it.
THAT said, the most accurate barrel I possess I found on sale for $58! 😳

Next off, I don't care how much you spend on a barrel, if you mount a crappy scope, accuracy will suffer.

"The best laid plans of mice and men may often go astray."
Yup. I'll bite. How accurate

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I posted pictures of the groups… and was trained by one of the best smiths…

But hey what do i know that you don’t… smile

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Everyone can I guess. According to a lot of posts we used to hear about. I'm glad we don't hear the bs as much as we used to hear. That black rifle challenge, that certifiable mentioned, here kind of toned down that talk a bit.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Why 7 screws for the mount? Your lucky number for slots?

I explain why in this video.

explained as clear as I've seen.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why don't you share it then, Jeff? I'm not giving MIC'Gutshot views.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Well for starters, where are the dime sized pics from your 8" SBR's?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Why don't you share it then, Jeff? I'm not giving MIC'Gutshot views.
That was my version of smartazz. He never said a thing. Just shot. Nothing about the mount or screws.

I"d THINK more screws should be better BUT...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TonyRumore

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Thanks for sharing that bit. I never felt that the pac nor barrels I'd had done by White Oak shot quite as well as Kriegers and Shilens. And the couple of bolt guns with Rock tubes.

That said, the pac nor tubes were never close to bad barrels either. They certainly allowed me to set a few records on some ranges here and there along the way.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You argue like my Ex

Yes hombre .. you can make a AR cloverleaf if you really know how to accurize it and buy a decent barrel

Below - Regular AR.. lapped barrel, bolt lugs, bedded barrel extension, good trigger, … and a couple other things =
BTW - This rifle is already sold.. I built 4 that shot this way…
First shot is a fouling shot (which is crazy because the barrel isn’t broken in beyond me cleaning it up so it will shoot better with time)

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by TWR

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You argue like my Ex

Yes hombre .. you can make a AR cloverleaf if you really know how to accurize it and buy a decent barrel

Below - Regular AR.. lapped barrel, bolt lugs, bedded barrel extension, good trigger, … and a couple other things =
BTW - This rifle is already sold.. I built 4 that shot this way…
First shot is a fouling shot (which is crazy because the barrel isn’t broken in beyond me cleaning it up so it will shoot better with time)

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by TWR

Well pilgram around here we don't consider 3 shots a group but whatever...
This is a group
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I just found this barrel holding up a tomato plant.

Last edited by TWR; 12/07/22.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
LOL.. yep - I’m thinking are my Ex Wife…

Asks for a picture - gets it and complains - this is a waste or my time…

For the OP - all barrel makers put out good barrels - the question is how many of what they put out are shooters ?
Smiths that know how to lap can adjust a barrel, but it is better to start with a good one..

Personally I like Krieger -

I do precision chambering and tried to get the high end guys to send me a blank so I could chamber it - but they won’t do that…
This add’s - well who’s chambering that thing for the barrel maker into question …. A good deal of them had Lake city do it because they are good.

The problem is scale & economics basically push people to bring it back in house.. most of them are doing it CNC … kind of a no brainer.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
202 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.