24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was having the same debate last year when looking for a rifle for my son. In the end, I ended up getting a good deal on a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 CM from Mtnboomer. So far, he has used 123gr Scenars with good success on several deer. This year was his first year hunting elk, and for that I loaded some 140gr partitions and they worked just fine. I don't think you could go wrong either way, but I wouldn't dismiss the 6.5 where elk are concerned.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool pics! Walnut M77 is a classy way to go.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Okanagan
What are advantages/disadvantages between 6.5 Creed and 7-08? I think I have a pretty good handle on them but wonder if there is something I don’t know or haven’t thought about.

We will probably buy new in one of the entry level bolt rifles. With seasons over here this year we are biding our time with an eye out for a bargain. If the right deal comes along, new or used, a .243 or .308 would do. This will be primarily for blacktail deer in the wet jungle, but elk and black bear are on the local menu.

For a bolt rifle...

Why a short action?

The .270 Winchester - has been the premier field cartridge for almost a hundred years... and just gets better w/ time.

What I got my boys, in the Mossberg Patriot Synthetic - Vortex Scoped Combos.

~ $400/pop.

GR

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
for the average hunters and their new youth hunters tuff to beat a 6.5 Creedmoor , i do like the 7mm-o8 too, because i am reloader i can and have loaded both of these fine cartridges. but at our hunting camp i have gave all members of the family a 257 Robert rifle to own and hunt with , because this way they all have the same cartridge and this grand old cartridge has some great old history with light recoil too. i feel we don`t need the family hunters need a new wiz bang cartridge , some of our 257 Roberts rifles do have new Brux barrel 8 twist barrels on them and shoot very well too, i am also rebarreling a Ruger #1 to a another 257 Roberts , Brux - 8 twist barrel too for me .

Last edited by pete53; 12/06/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I vote 7-08 my rifle has been used on 3 cow hunts by young hunters and all 3 elk were drt. Plus they like shooting it at practice secession.
Including my wife.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
6.5 for me. Many 6.5s come in rifles where the twist, chamber, and magazine are optimized for shooting higher BC loads. Also, there is a certain inertia of success with the 6.5 cal matched with a 140 grain bullet that’s too good to ignore 😊 Thanks, Sweden.
Actual killing capabilities are the same. Plus everybody and their brother is turning out good, stupid expensive, 6.5 factory ammo. I remember having to reload cuz rifle rounds were costing a DOLLAR. Now my components cost that …

The RAR in 6.5 is a great motivator.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Having owned both and shot both I'll vote for the 7MM-08 only because IMHO felt recoil seems to be less in the 7MM-08. When I've had rifles that are about 99% identical I always thought the 08 just didn't seem to kick as much or felt that way. The CM seemed more snappy if that makes sense?? But since you said for a young hunter it may make a difference??

I agree.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Creed for me. I like both, but there's more options for factory ammo with the creed, it's usually cheaper, and there's more low recoil options with the Creedmoor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve got both calibers. The 7-08 has more recoil IMO.
And I see lot more Factory Ammo available for the 6.5 CM.
If you don’t reload, I’d go with the Creed.

I can’t see any difference in how the two calibers kill game. Both work very well.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/06/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Don’t be a dumb azz and buy a good 308 based on your entire post .

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
6.5 for a variety of reason. Easier to find both rifles and ammo. Reasonably cheap ammo for 6.5 promotes more practice. 6.5 CM shoots really soft and I’ve never heard of one that didn’t shoot well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro
Cool pics! Walnut M77 is a classy way to go.

Thank you! That was the one stipulation he had, he didn’t want a plastic gun. 😎

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve always wanted to like my 7mm-08s more than I actually have. The 6.5mm CM is at the confluence of a great many human factors.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I can’t see any difference in how the two calibers kill game. Both work very well.

^^^This^^^

Same experience with my 7mm 08 and 6.5 creed.
My daughter is shooting the 7 08 and my 9 year old granddaughter is shooting a 6.5 creed. If I had to pick just one for a youth, It would be the 6.5 creed.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Same experience with my 7mm 08 and 6.5 creed.
My daughter is shooting the 7 08 and my 9 year old granddaughter is shooting a 6.5 creed. If I had to pick just one for a youth, It would be the 6.5 creed.

I've had the opposite experience, My son has been shooting a model 7 synthetic 708 since he was 9. Recoil is nothing. I shot my buddys kimber hunter in the creed, it would absolutely stomp you. I couldnt imagine a kid shooting it. Was shooting 120nbt in model 7 and the kimber....and I'd consider the hunter and 7 similar sized guns. The model 7 does have a limbsaver on it. I just bought another 708 for myself since my son has taken over mine.

Last edited by killerv; 12/07/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by killerv
I've had the opposite experience, My son has been shooting a model 7 synthetic 708 since he was 9. Recoil is nothing. I shot my buddys kimber hunter in the creed, it would absolutely stomp you. I couldnt imagine a kid shooting it. Was shooting 120nbt in model 7 and the kimber....and I'd consider the hunter and 7 similar sized guns. The model 7 does have a limbsaver on it. I just bought another 708 for myself since my son has taken over mine.

What I highlighted invalidates the comparison between cartridges.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

Yup - the Model 7 was often marketed as a kids first rifle. I can't imagine a worse platform to start a kid out on.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkchsr
I was having the same debate last year when looking for a rifle for my son. In the end, I ended up getting a good deal on a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 CM from Mtnboomer. So far, he has used 123gr Scenars with good success on several deer. This year was his first year hunting elk, and for that I loaded some 140gr partitions and they worked just fine. I don't think you could go wrong either way, but I wouldn't dismiss the 6.5 where elk are concerned.

GREAT!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by elkchsr

Nice. I like the walnut stock rifle a lot. That youngster needs a real shooting sling though.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by mathman

Yup - the Model 7 was often marketed as a kids first rifle. I can't imagine a worse platform to start a kid out on.

That wasn't really where I was going.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
428 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,917
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.