Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wondering if any fire members are dyed in the wool Benoit style deer trackers in the deep woods of the Northeast?

If yes, how did you do? And were there any success factors that seemed to stick out in your mind?

I did both tracking and still hunting this year in Northern Vermont and actually saw more deer in open fields right at sunset. Still it was cool to put on my old woolens after so many years (decades!) and head up high into the woods. We had a nice fresh tracking snow the first week of season, and from that point it was on! Tracked one big buck for a few hours but no sighting. Lots of tracks, but this one stands out. Anyway, this has got me fired up for next year.

Thoughts? Recollections?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Most years I wonder why I even put forth the effort to go. But I do.
This year was no different.
Before I started this journey, I thought I was an experienced deer hunter. Tracking well educated deer in adverse conditions has humbled me.
Every year has shown me something new about the big woods. Random luck is very hard to find there.
It leaves me with 50 weeks to think about it. Some good, some bad.
By week 45 I'm getting prepped again!

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Unfortunately I only was able to hunt during Maine's muzzleloader season and "success" eluded me. I tracked big deer every day in snow/rain/freezing rain, and sun. We had conditions that ranged from great snow to crunchy (most of the week). On Tuesday I was literally 10 minutes behind a giant (he walked in my tracks at 7:50 and I was back through there at 8). Tracked him until after 2 and never laid eyes on him. His stride was longer than I could step and was one of these toe dragging bucks that we all dream to find. I suspect but have no way of knowing that he heard me most of the day but the conditions were just so noisy it was though. I was in and around pockets of does all week (saw 36) but those bucks went and then straight lined out of there just as quickly. In the end, I saw 2 known bucks with no shot at one and a pass on the other. Personally I found the conditions to be very tough that week.

The big deer where I hunt are very reluctant to cross any sort of road and I somewhat blame the Beniots/Blood in that everyone and their brother is now a tracker when the snow hits the ground. If you know where there are pockets of does, it is pretty easy to go in, check, and move on if need be. The more pockets you know about the better. Also, IMHO, if you are only tracking for a couple or few hours them you aren't giving it enough time. It always amazes me how fast and how far those deer go here. Maybe I am misreading your post but persistence pays off.

As an aside, I saw more big sign this year than I have in the last 10. There are some huge deer roaming around and if this winter continues to play out like it is, next year will be even better.

Last edited by JDK; 12/07/22. Reason: Another thought
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Doesn't ML end this Saturday?

The way life should be.
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bluefish
Doesn't ML end this Saturday?

Ended last Saturday here and this Saturday in southern/central Maine. I will be headed down Friday night.

I should also clarify. I was able to hunt for one day in the zone where I had an antlerless permit and killed a deer. Not tracking and it was 70 degrees.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder how well a short rifled barrel 20 gauge Remington 870 or Mossberg Bantam would work in lieu of a 760/7600 for short range jump shooting?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
260Remguy---- I've thought the same about the Bantam but I'd like to see someone come up with a light pump in the .450 Bushmaster------ 50yd. buck killer

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Skeen --- I believe you can and the beowulf would be great but fully loaded it be pushing 10 lbs

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I used to be so fascinated by the Benoits and they’re north woods/snow tracking and still hunting techniques and books. Growing up in the south, still hunting is often somewhat hard to be effective with in dry woods…..it just further restricts the ground you can cover. I take deer that way on occasion, but usually when the woods are wet.

However, I’ve taken 3 deer the true, ‘Benoit Way’ in north Alabama, over the last 30 years…..when we’ve had good enough snows overnight and I could get out and cut a track. Best seems to be if it’s still blowing snow….the deer seem to go deaf, dumb, and blind and I’ve walked within spitting distance of a few in that.

Wish I could get up there and try it in their country, just once.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I’ll stick with my 7600 Whelen.

Only had one day to track this year. Passed a smallish 8 PT but man, it was a great day. Need to make more time next year. Work crap gets in the way.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I used to be so fascinated by the Benoits and they’re north woods/snow tracking and still hunting techniques and books. Growing up in the south, still hunting is often somewhat hard to be effective with in dry woods…..it just further restricts the ground you can cover. I take deer that way on occasion, but usually when the woods are wet.

However, I’ve taken 3 deer the true, ‘Benoit Way’ in north Alabama, over the last 30 years…..when we’ve had good enough snows overnight and I could get out and cut a track. Best seems to be if it’s still blowing snow….the deer seem to go deaf, dumb, and blind and I’ve walked within spitting distance of a few in that.

Wish I could get up there and try it in their country, just once.

Come on up to the Adirondacks buddy. It’s nice country and almost can wear a pair of boots out and never walk off public ground.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My earliest deer hunts involved getting ridiculed by bucks in the snow through the timber. A handful of times it happened, with similar circumstances. Following fresh tracks, staking out an area with 3 or 4 of us watching likely exit points, then the quietest guy attempting to either get a shot or push the buck out of the thick stuff. Never worked. We were young, but well-intentioned and good at moving quietly. Bucks always found an alley to sneak away unseen. Following the tracks, they'd backtrack several times, move through tangles that were seemingly impassable, and then find an exit point that wasn't obvious. I never figured out how to do it. Have great respect for guys that can. The big deer I've shot have been in the open.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Unfortunately we didn't get a single snow day here in PAs rifle season. Hopefully we have snow for Flintlock season after Christmas.

I am not a very good deer tracker....I blame the lack of experience. I'm getting better. I just don't get to do it often enough. Some years not at all.

I completely enjoy it though. I feel like it's the ultimate form of hunting.

When we don't have snow, I often turn to still hunting. I am getting better at that finally lol. There's definitely a leaaarnjng curve to it.

As far as guns, I have a couple scoped 7600s....a carbine Whelen with a apeture-less peep sight to act as a ghost ring...

The Carbine is truly dandy to carry and points like a dream and quick shooting. I've never carried it to the woods...mainly because PA has antler point restrictions and dumping a buck because it has a big enough looking frame can get a fella in trouble. I like to have a scope. Even if they are getting outta the way I can often count points...ideally they stop and give me a look. The carbine without optics is great for when a scope just isn't feasible. ...snow or rain...I haven't had one of those days since I bought it...

I mostly carry my m700 I built...450 bushmaster and just over 6lbs....or my 358win Montana that's even lighter.

A light naturally pointing rifle is an absolute must. Take your sling off and put it in your vest or pack till you have him on the ground. Countless deer live to see another day because the hunter has their rifle on their shoulder.

I fine tuned both my scope setups and actually ended up with medium height rings on both. With straight comb stocks, they hit my eye perfectly. I keep the glass on lower magnification. Depends on the terrain...sometimes 2x...sometimes I'm actually on 5 or 6x because it's big open timber and what I'm seeing is a ways off.

One of these days my Adirondack trip will come to fruition. I had it all planned a couple years back and the Daks got over 2 feet of snow a day or 2 before I was supposed to leave. That's really why I bought the Whelen Carbine. I'm realizing with my work schedule and such, I'll just have to get lucky to have snow. It'd be awesome to just spend the days wandering the big woods still hunting. I love seeing new places and terrain and getting that true wilderness feeling. I got the Midwest archery rut bug the year after and kinda put the Daks on the back burner.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, you can use an A.R. in Maine

As far as weapons, anything works. Just remember you are on your feet and carrying it. If it fits you well and mounts easily it works. If it is over your shoulder it is useless. Also remember that at the end of the day you may have walked 6-8 miles and have 3 more to get back to the truck. I’d not want a 10 pounder

My favorites are the Sako AII, Marlin 336, and Remington 7600. The last 2 deer I killed tracking have been with a TC Omega. Not exactly a lightweight

The biggest thing about tracking is you need to be able to go all day for a few days and hopefully have a few options in front of you. In my mind, it is hunting in its purist form.

Last edited by JDK; 12/17/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve read a few of the Benoit books, and others, liked them. Can one glean tips with reading but then hunt a little different? I think so.

I about never had a stand, blind or box growing up in the Northern U.P. of MI. I never used a bait pile either. Yes there were some organized drives back in the 70’s, mixed success. I like a slower ‘push drive’, or even let another Hunter’s scent push deer, no noise.

I prefer to work higher vantage points, with the wind some fashion in my favor. I guess the ‘Benoit way’ is often following that one track or 2, knowing when to go fast, then slow way down if close.

I do agree on a light gun, my favorites have 20” barrels.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Not much chance of tracking deer down here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread fellas. Really enjoying it.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Spent a week in northern Maine, had snow midweek but I didn't find a track I thought was worth following. Did some still hunting, sat the last hour of the day and saw one doe for the week. About 15 guys in camp no deer taken. There are more deer in Maine than people think but I also think the numbers are not there like they were in the "good old days" when the Benoits made their reputation. I had a conversation with Dick Bernier a few years ago (he's passed away since) and he agreed the numbers are not what they were. Still, that does not diminish their deer hunting accomplishments in my eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still hunt, live to do it in snow, never even tried tracking.

I have crappy vision, and can struggle to see deer in many situations.
Even if I developed the tracking skills, I'd blow the opportunity.

We used to have a deer farm here, they had a gravel parking lot and a gravel path around the
place for visitors.

Loved to go there with my girls.
The main "pasture was 3-4 acres, wooded and on a hill. You parked on the hilltop.
Nothing on the ground but leaves and a few fallen tree trunks. No underbrush, the deer
had it eaten off. Not sure how many were usually there, but it was what seemed like the
right amount considering it was a farm.

They sold deer to "hunt" operations, so the bucks were freakishly big.
But that was only cool on the first trip. After that, I truly enjoyed just trying to see the deer.
It was unbelievable how hard those deer were to see.
Tree cover, open ground, a few logs. You walked up to the fence and immediately saw a half dozen deer. And thought they must have sold som....one turned his head over there and suddenly
you see a huge buck. An ear flickers, a tail wags, stare hard knowing the like to lay up at the
logs... there are 2 more!

One first look, I rarely saw 1/3 of the deer there.
Our oldest daughter has amazing vision, she could show me stuff at 5 or 6. Several times I thought she was lying when she saw them from the car. (I haven't, and had kinda looked)
Turned around a few times and she was always right. (Like Mom. For real too🤐)

Even she was always amazed at how easy it was to miss seeing deer in such an open place.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (2500HD, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.