Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've shot in-line rifles using plastic sabots as well, never an issue with them like I was getting in the shotgun. So they must be of a different type of plastic. Don't have the 10ga anymore, was before this internet thing where you could go to look for answers... lol! Remember?! Back when we either read it from a book or figured it out ourselves...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a solution to this issue. You just don't know what it is yet. When you do and let everyone else know, you'll be internet-famous.

And there has to be a solution. There has to be a plastic wad that won't melt. I'm sitting here fiddling with Hornady 12 gauge black plastic sabot for a .50 caliber slug. The never melt. They sit on top of a white plastic wad that is directly over the powder. I've picked them up off the ground after shooting and they look fine and there is no plastic residue in the bore. So there is something out there that can work.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/07/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I know Knight offers plastic wad cups for their in-line shotgun, but those are 12 gauge. When I was really into ML shotgunning, with the 10ga, I had one cabinet that was full of fiber wads, cardboard wads and the wool felt Wonder wads, those worked very well. I first noticed the issue with plastic wads on a goose hunt I was invited to that I was asked to use the 10ga. I cut open 10ga waterfowl shells to use the steel shot and wads for the hunt.

There may be wads for this now, wasn't back when, but haven't looked since I no longer have it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The solution is plastic shot cups and blackpowder don't mix well....not wanting to listen to people I tried them years ago in a 13 ga. William Powell sxs muzzle loader I had.

There was a little mess I could have worked around it but there was really no improvement in the pattern using the shot cup. It went from nothing to almost slug shooting.

I was using wads that were not slit and i was slitting them myself....no real improvement untill it started shooting too tight.

It takes choking to pattern consistanly at distance

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a quick perusal of the Modern Muzzloading forum shows a thread on the subject.

This one here:
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/muzzleloading-shotgun.6547/

The wads referred to in the thread:
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/28-gauge-wads/products/91/

If your ML is .56, it seems a 28 gauge (.550) wad would be appropriate. I can't image why the wad would melt using with BP of it doesn't over smokeless.

Anyways, good luck. It looks like a worthy project. Maybe you can successfuly work up a good TSS load for your ML.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by humdinger
Because Luther wouldn't respect me in the morning.

Luther doesn't respecr ANYONE. Even when they know more about a subject than does he. He's proving that in several other Fire threads at this very moment and he's proven it time and again in this very turkey forum. 🤡

🤣🤣🤣

It ain't a big deal. Everyone who matters will respect your choice no matter what. 😉👍

I was also a skeptic when the .410 turkey craze began. But I'm open-minded and don't pretend to know everything. So, I did what any reasonable, thinking man woul do. I set one up and TRIED IT........with my own two hands.......my own two eyes.

You ARE right. A guy could do some really dumb and irresponsible stuff to a turkey using a .410, lead shot and zero restraint. The gun I set up is only a 30 yard gun with lead. NO MORE. Paper proves it. Don't under-estimate......carry a rangefinder.

But with #9 or #9.5 TSS........... 40 yards is responsibly do-able. But no more. Believe it.

If you were anywhere near me, I'd invite you to my back yard. I've got a patterning range set up 365 days a year (a guy never knows when a question will arise) and a lifetime supply of 30" paper. Be happy to let you settle the 20....410.....lead.....TSS "mystery" that escapes some.....

I don't respect your bogus azz for sure.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might could make yourself a caliber-sized paper tube
shot cup and line it with one of those mylar wraps that are used for loading shot types that are harder than steel.....

🤔

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I just dont know if I can do the 410 though.

Why so ?? Just the thought of it ?? That a .410 just CAN'T be a turkey gun ??

Not sure why... I see the 410's trend and it really only performs with TSS and I struggle with people using marginal lead shot loads and making poor judgment calls. Especially when they couldn't find TSS or any 410 loads and were shooting anything they could find.

Maybe its a little stunt shooting in my mind, but there is a lot of data that shows it works and those affordable 301's fuel the trend.

I'm thinking on it.

I don't care what you shoot....most of the guys shooting 410s are blind sitters sitting over decoys spreads.

If you think that is turkey hunting there's no reason for me to try and convince anything different.

Truth was know YoderbOy is likely a blind sitter.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like all kids that grow up shooting, you used what was available, whether it was dad's, grandpa's, or... In my case, it was dad's single shot 16 gauge and a single shot bolt action 22LR. I was taught that with a single shot, to make the 1 shot count! And also, with a single shot shotgun, recoil was just part of the equation. Looking back, I think dad was just trying to slow down the amount of ammo I was shooting up with those 2 single shots! Lol! Fast forward a lot of years to today and I'm at 2 single shot shotguns. A 12ga 1st gen Winchester 101 Trap 34" top single and the little 20ga H&R I just picked up. With the shells/shot available today, I can't see a 12 being that much better than a 20 within the ranges we use this stuff for. Of course, it all depends on what you already have for shells and how much money you want to spend on any part of it. IMO, you can't go wrong with whichever one you choose.

NRA life member

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
YoderbOy who did you pro staff for again....was it Martha Stewart ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Like all kids that grow up shooting, you used what was available,

A lot of folks still do, and sometimes just for the hell of it. The guy I shoot sporting clays with is an avid bird hunter. He took an old Mossberg bolt action .410, along with his nornal O/U, on a NC quail hunt. Even managed to score a few quail with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where the 12 really blows the 20 away is with coarse shot. Buckshot for defense (mostly) and steel for waterfowl. But in both cases......most guys are gonna pick a pump or auto gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

A lot of folks still do, and sometimes just for the hell of it. The guy I shoot sporting clays with is an avid bird hunter. He took an old Mossberg bolt action .410, along with his nornal O/U, on a NC quail hunt. Even managed to score a few quail with it.

Now THERE'S a trooper !!! 😁

I own a grand total of ONE bolt shotgun. A Marlin Super Goose 10. I inherited it. Never shot it. Likely never will

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed. No way I'd hunt deer with 20 pellets of #3 buck out of a 20 gauge. Shot is too small and there's not enough of it. Buckshot is where the 12 gauge 3 1/2" really shines. 15-18 00 pellets at 1300-1450 fps. You pay for that in the shoulder. But it's deadly.

As far as sub gauges go, if you ever thought about getting into the 28 gauge, now is the time. Our big gun store in Virginia, Green Top near Richmond, is full of 28 gauge guns and ammo. Benelli SBE3s, O/Us of all makes, Browning BPS pumps, and just about every commerical load in 28 gauge. Can't find 20 gauge shells there. But there are mountains of 28 gauge.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Now THERE'S a trooper !!! 😁

I own a grand total of ONE bolt shotgun. A Marlin Super Goose 10. I inherited it. Never shot it. Likely never will

You can run into some weird puppies at a sporting clay range....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LFC
I just dont know if I can do the 410 though.

Why so ?? Just the thought of it ?? That a .410 just CAN'T be a turkey gun ??

Not sure why... I see the 410's trend and it really only performs with TSS and I struggle with people using marginal lead shot loads and making poor judgment calls. Especially when they couldn't find TSS or any 410 loads and were shooting anything they could find.

Maybe its a little stunt shooting in my mind, but there is a lot of data that shows it works and those affordable 301's fuel the trend.

I'm thinking on it.

I don't care what you shoot....most of the guys shooting 410s are blind sitters sitting over decoys spreads.

If you think that is turkey hunting there's no reason for me to try and convince anything different.

Truth was know YoderbOy is likely a blind sitter.....

I am a blind sitter and use decoys.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Back to Shotgun wads...

Are they marked with the plastic type on bottom?

You can lookup the melting point or Vicant softening point online to see what the plastic differences are.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For the first time ever, looked around online about this. Results are the same as when looking for answers here on the "fire". Yes you can, no you can't, you're an idiot, no you're the idiot... lol! But looking in some of the bigger ML supply websites, none of them list anything plastic that I could find. I did find instances like I was dealing with, the wads melting. Guys even telling about instances where plastic hulls were melting as well after prolonged shooting. For me, it's a mute point as I no longer ML shotgun. But if I were to get back into it...

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe you'd have different results out of your .56 smoothbore versus what you got out of your 10 gauge.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.