Congressional Medal Of Honor

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Medal of Honor is correct

( it is not won)

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe they are one and the same.

Black Cows Matter!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I believe they are one and the same.

6/half dozen

Same/same

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Google it...they are NOT the same...one is a military honor only

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
MOH

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The reason I asked this is I was researching the Custer battle and found this medal of honor and if you notice it is marked "The Congress to" which would lead me to consider it to be "Congressional"...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When Google or any other source has more definitive data, it raises an eyebrow as this is an actual medal...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s pretty cool.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The reason I asked this is I was researching the Custer battle and found this medal of honor and if you notice it is marked "The Congress to" which would lead me to consider it to be "Congressional"...

The second reason for the “congressional” myth seems to stem from a line in the U.S. code outlining the award. The law says that the president awards the medal to the recipient “in the name of Congress.” That section of the law, 10 U.S. Code § 3741, also calls the award the “Medal of Honor” on all references. The “Congressional Medal of Honor” myth is so widely dispersed that a separate U.S. federal law passed just last year, 18 U.S. Code § 704, refers to it, but that’s a narrow law that doesn’t outline the Medal of Honor; indeed, it defines it via a series of federal statutes that refer only to the “Medal of Honor.” Congressional staffers are subject to myths, too.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
The second reason for the “congressional” myth seems to stem from a line in the U.S. code outlining the award. The law says that the president awards the medal to the recipient “in the name of Congress.” That section of the law, 10 U.S. Code § 3741, also calls the award the “Medal of Honor” on all references. The “Congressional Medal of Honor” myth is so widely dispersed that a separate U.S. federal law passed just last year, 18 U.S. Code § 704, refers to it, but that’s a narrow law that doesn’t outline the Medal of Honor; indeed, it defines it via a series of federal statutes that refer only to the “Medal of Honor.” Congressional staffers are subject to myths, too.

That can be understood as it is written, but the source is where I pause.

Secondly, this image is of an actual medal, not something a great great grandson is claiming they have...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Shrapnel,
That’s pretty neat.
I had the honor to meet an MOH recipient at the NRA convention by the name of SGT. Sammy Davis.
He’s a super nice guy and I enjoyed talking to him and also enjoyed his book.
I thought I would do a little research on MOH recipients in Indiana and was surprised to discover that I had one buried in my hometown in a cemetery that I drive by almost every day.
His name was CPT. Thomas Box and he was awarded the MOH for actions during the American Civil War.
IIRC, it was a battle outside of Atlanta.
I could be wrong, but in those days, if you were awarded a medal for bravery, it was the MOH.
There were no other awards for bravery as there were in the wars that followed in the twentieth century so it obviously couldn’t be downgraded to a DSC or something.
That is in NO way meant to disrespect anyone who was awarded an MOH at this point in history. I’m sure all were well deserved.
I mean anyone who gets on line to absorb a hailstorm of 58 caliber minie balls deserves some type of medal for bravery.
Of course being a history buff you probably already knew this. Fun conversation nonetheless.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It was my understanding as well that after the Civil War and some of the Indian wars that they rearranged the value of what the Medal of Honor was. As I understand it it takes a lot more from an individual service man to get a Medal of Honor than it did back in those days.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It was my understanding as well that after the Civil War and some of the Indian wars that they rearranged the value of what the Medal of Honor was. As I understand it it takes a lot more from an individual service man to get a Medal of Honor than it did back in those days.

Pretty sure I read some citations once for several MOHs awarded for lifesaving after a boiler explosion on a ship during peacetime. This would have been sometime between the Civil War and 1900ish.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

The inscription on the medal is not the name of the medal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeL2

The inscription of "The Congress To" is the point is am curious about. I was always under the opinion that it is "The Medal Of Honor" as that seems to be the rule. However, Mechlin did receive the Medal of Honor along with several others for their acts of bravery as they transferred water from the Little Bighorn river to the parched troops on Reno/Benteen hill under severe enemy fire from the Indians.

So no one sees the reference to "Congress" on that medal as an association with Congressional?

I'm not saying it is so, it just appears to have some validity to the title "Congressional Medal Of Honor"

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MikeL2

The inscription of "The Congress To" is the point is am curious about. I was always under the opinion that it is "The Medal Of Honor" as that seems to be the rule. However, Mechlin did receive the Medal of Honor along with several others for their acts of bravery as they transferred water from the Little Bighorn river to the parched troops on Reno/Benteen hill under severe enemy fire from the Indians.

So no one sees the reference to "Congress" on that medal as an association with Congressional?

I'm not saying it is so, it just appears to have some validity to the title "Congressional Medal Of Honor"

Your picture is of the inscription to the recipient on the back side of the actual medal. I don't understand why there is any confusion over the official name of the medal - this particular example is the Army version of The Medal Of Honor.

The inscription says "From The Congress To" on the reverse of the bar - your picture cuts off the "from". It says that because that is the original intent of the medal - bestowed BY the President FROM the Congress. Correction - the Medal was redesigned several times - earlier Civil War era version did say "from the congress to", some later versions just said "the congress to" implying the "from".

Last edited by MikeL2; 12/07/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congress just approves it to the recipient. It's the medal of honor.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Medal of Honor is correct

( it is not won)

100% correct.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,045 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,483
Posts18,451,903
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.