Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rusty75
Looking to buy myself a nice multi purpose hunting knife.
Prefer a compact to midsize fixed blade.
Primary uses:
Breasting waterfowl and cleaning other small game
Gutting white tails
Misc hunting related chores
Considering a helle or bill Moran spyderco, but may be able to get a handmade knife in that range of $150 or below.
Any suggestions?

I had several suggestions after reading this before boarding a plane last night...

But!: A really good friend and knife aficionado sent me a text that Amazon has the Cold Steel Mini Lloyd Pendelton Hunter in DLC coated CPM 3V for $65... These are $120 MSRP and normally street priced at $95 on the big knife websites. I wholeheartedly suggest you grab one and bank the other $85 to apply to a custom lifetime knife by getting on the books of a custom maker you REALLY want.

I ordered 3 for Christmas presents...deal of the season: Amazon Pendelton Mini

Last edited by Journeyman; 12/10/22. Reason: Typos

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
And most in practice aren’t worth the steel they are made out of. In my opinion well designed and functional knives are as rare as hens teeth. Most, in practice, are functional garbage. Pretty, and trending, but useless. Which is fine as precious few people use a knife much anyway. I have used a LOT of knives alone in the field over the years. Most knives get the job done and most do everything they can to work against you while you are doing that job. A lot of guys pack two knives because they can’t abide either of them for the work they need done. Think about what your knife needs to do and find a knife that will do all of it well. Good luck with that.

Opinions vary!

The O'Neill and the Ingram are A2 steel.

The Olt is CPM M4

The Music Made knife is 52100

Four Different Blade profiles, three different steels.

IMHO, they all serve the purpose for which they were intended.

ya!

GWB

See that’s the thing. I just do not agree. For field work a knife needs to split hide well. When that hide is laying on the side of a mountain, or across deadfall, or in a knee deep bog, the snow etc. it needs to be able to gut, disarticulate, debone, skin and cape in those same conditions. That’s its purpose and it needs to do it well. VERY few knives do that. They just don’t. They are designed in an office or at a blade show for someone that guts from a pole, skins from a tractor bucket or capes from his couch. Most knives serve this purpose. But they suck at a real job. I don’t want a mitt full of knives. I want a good knife.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by geedubya
And most in practice aren’t worth the steel they are made out of. In my opinion well designed and functional knives are as rare as hens teeth. Most, in practice, are functional garbage. Pretty, and trending, but useless. Which is fine as precious few people use a knife much anyway. I have used a LOT of knives alone in the field over the years. Most knives get the job done and most do everything they can to work against you while you are doing that job. A lot of guys pack two knives because they can’t abide either of them for the work they need done. Think about what your knife needs to do and find a knife that will do all of it well. Good luck with that.

Opinions vary!

The O'Neill and the Ingram are A2 steel.

The Olt is CPM M4

The Music Made knife is 52100

Four Different Blade profiles, three different steels.

IMHO, they all serve the purpose for which they were intended.

ya!

GWB

See that’s the thing. I just do not agree. For field work a knife needs to split hide well. When that hide is laying on the side of a mountain, or across deadfall, or in a knee deep bog, the snow etc. it needs to be able to gut, disarticulate, debone, skin and cape in those same conditions. That’s its purpose and it needs to do it well. VERY few knives do that. They just don’t. They are designed in an office or at a blade show for someone that guts from a pole, skins from a tractor bucket or capes from his couch. Most knives serve this purpose. But they suck at a real job. I don’t want a mitt full of knives. I want a good knife.

Are you saying the Herron Model 2 type Semi is the only "good" knife pattern?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
No, I wouldn’t say that’s the knife I’d choose at all. Way too much blade length

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yet your Crotts and Dozier are based on it...

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Journeyman

With a better blade length and geometry yes.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 12/10/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

With a better blade length and handle yes.

Great reply! Kudos...

Give Tom Krein the credit he deserves for that...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Great reply! Kudos...

I could give a chit who makes one. I use one

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Great reply! Kudos...

I could give a chit who makes one. I use one

HA...knew you are a poseur... Come across all big time [bleep] expert and don't even know the history...

Got a clue for you pal...

Some of us use more than "one" to MULTITUDES of what your dripping little "experience" is...

I did almost 170 red deer on the Scots cull this year with a Mora Companion.

I also have the knife you "think" your semi is based on...Loveless Semi...which isn't even CLOSE!
Also, the Crooked Skinner which is closer...
The closest, I don't have, is the Parke skinner of which only 3 dozen were made.

So...[bleep]..go back to school and quit coming across so degradingly to some of the best guys on this website with more knife experience than you'll ever have...

Dickhead

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’m a poser why again? It’s not my fault you used a crappy tool for a job 170 times. Lol.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simply because every post you've made here is denigrating others who have earned their places here. Just because you can show a couple pics of dink moose doesn't mean that guys like MOGC, GWB, Dave, Jud, etc etc who choose to use a 2 or even 3 knife set don't know how to use a knife is hubris to the freaking Canadian Liberal limit...

If you'd like some answers to the questions you've posted on Bladeforums about Loveless Semi designs, or how guys WAY more experienced than you choose the knives they use, let me know...other than that, continue to be a hero on your little Canuck website... I'm out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boarding just called...radio silent 'til tomorrow cuz I'm crossing the pond...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m a poser why again? It’s not my fault you used a crappy tool for a job 170 times. Lol.

Nice sneaky unmarked edit.

I had these along too..are they crappy?

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Simply because every post you've made here is denigrating others who have earned their places here. Just because you can show a couple pics of dink moose doesn't mean that guys like MOGC, GWB, Dave, Jud, etc etc who choose to use a 2 or even 3 knife set don't know how to use a knife is hubris to the freaking Canadian Liberal limit...

If you'd like some answers to the questions you've posted on Bladeforums about Loveless Semi designs, or how guys WAY more experienced than you choose the knives they use, let me know...other than that, continue to be a hero on your little Canuck website... I'm out.

You’re an idiot. Everything you just said here has ZERO to do with the topic at hand. ZERO.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

[Linked Image]

I thought you were out? And yes. I’d not own either. This place is like a cult

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

I thought you were out? And yes. I’d not own either.

Dude...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Look...another clever edit

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hopefully Phil Wilson will survive your scrutiny...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

[Linked Image]

I thought you were out? And yes. I’d not own either.

Dude...

[Linked Image]

Look...another clever edit

Would you quit lying.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hopefully Phil Wilson will survive your scrutiny...
Maybe Rick too..

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.