Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have no dog in this fight. But I will say this, who cares if someone suggests something slightly more? Lots of us, myself included, have reconsidered purchases where we had a set budget because someone sparked an idea in our heads for something better for not much more. I think that’s all that was being done here.

Now if someone was saying all you can get is a steaming piece of chit for that $, then sure, give him a blast, and tell him to scram.

There’s enough angst in the world as it is, let’s keep this sub-forum drama free. I’ve been on the Campfire for a while, and was a lurker for many years before joining. It can be the Wild West for sure, but I was attracted to his sub-forum because 99% of regulars are true gentlemen, and helpful to a fault.

If you wanna argue, there is a guy on the fire who lives up in Alaska who will oblige anytime. Think his handle is Big Stick or some such thing. Tread lightly and put your fireproof jammies on:)

Now, I will give you my two cents. This fall, I used a Grohmann Bird & Trout that was given to my son. I skinned out a calf moose, a mulie buck, and hundreds of geese and ducks. Easy to keep sharp and touch up. Easy on the pocketbook too, especially considering the exchange rate for you folks in the US, as it’s made in Canada. It is a very ergonomically efficient design. It’s not a super steel, but it’s also easy to sharpen. And, for your price range, you could even order it with a nice stag handle and have a beauty knife that you can be proud of.

https://www.grohmannknives.com/inde...tainless-steel-2-trout-bird-knife-detail

Tons of good choices in your price range. Tons.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by sns2; 12/11/22.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by sns2
This fall, I used a Grohmann Bird & Trout that was given to my son. I skinned out a calf moose, a mulie buck, and hundreds of geese and ducks. Easy to keep sharp and touch up. Easy on the pocketbook too, especially considering the exchange rate for you folks in the US, as it’s made in Canada. It is a very ergonomically efficient design. It’s not a super steel, but it’s also easy to sharpen. And, for your price range, you could even order it with a nice stag handle and have a beauty knife that you can be proud of.

As a coda to the above post.....

Each of the three knives that follow, I've owned and used.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://www.coldsteel.com/canadian-belt-knife/

https://www.amazon.com/Knives-Alaska-Yukon-1-SureGrip/dp/B000IXHOOE

and a couple customs that were fashioned by Gary Dukeman, Squawsatch Knives.......

IMHO, the possibilities as to the particular blade style and price one might decide upon is almost infinite.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Quit second guessing the OP. You have no idea why he wanted what he wanted.

For instance, he might be quite wealthy and has a bunch of nice expensive knives he prefers not to use. He might want to try a nice $150 knife and not worry about dings and scratches for a change. Who knows? He might have secondary reasons as well for asking---young relatives or friends that he is looking to gift with a knife. Who knows his means or intentions?

Just answer him with your best answer that fits his request and quit trying to make him into you or someone else. Geeesh.

Now if he said, I'd like this, but do I need to reconsider this, or do I need to go in a different direction, etc, etc, then I get it. But, he didn't ask for anyone's accomplishments and exploits. He asked for a response to his specific question.

Now we have to sit here and listen to all these excuses and justifications, but meanwhile,,,,,,,,,

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I should have said my above post was directed at pathfinder76

R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have followed along on all of the comments and have taken no offense to suggestions outside of my stated price range. After doing some more research I think I have decided to go with a quality factory knife for now and wait on a custom. My outdoor edge replaceable blade knife works great for gutting and skinning now, but it has no soul. It’s simply a tool for the specific task. I think that a fine factory knife will fill my desire for something nicer while I decide if I’m truly interested in a custom.

I have decided on the Helle Eggen. I was able to handle one and it felt better than any knife I’ve held. It should serve my purposes well and may be all that I ever need. Not sure if I’m ready to go down the custom knife “wormhole” just yet.
Thanks all for the input.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by rd7fox
Quit second guessing the OP. You have no idea why he wanted what he wanted.

For instance, he might be quite wealthy and has a bunch of nice expensive knives he prefers not to use. He might want to try a nice $150 knife and not worry about dings and scratches for a change. Who knows? He might have secondary reasons as well for asking---young relatives or friends that he is looking to gift with a knife. Who knows his means or intentions?

Just answer him with your best answer that fits his request and quit trying to make him into you or someone else. Geeesh.

Now if he said, I'd like this, but do I need to reconsider this, or do I need to go in a different direction, etc, etc, then I get it. But, he didn't ask for anyone's accomplishments and exploits. He asked for a response to his specific question.

Now we have to sit here and listen to all these excuses and justifications, but meanwhile,,,,,,,,,

I have no idea what he is thinking. He might be a troll for all I know. That is why I made the suggestion. He is free to do with it what he wants. Again. It’s a NOTHING burger.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rusty75
I have followed along on all of the comments and have taken no offense to suggestions outside of my stated price range. After doing some more research I think I have decided to go with a quality factory knife for now and wait on a custom. My outdoor edge replaceable blade knife works great for gutting and skinning now, but it has no soul. It’s simply a tool for the specific task. I think that a fine factory knife will fill my desire for something nicer while I decide if I’m truly interested in a custom.

I have decided on the Helle Eggen. I was able to handle one and it felt better than any knife I’ve held. It should serve my purposes well and may be all that I ever need. Not sure if I’m ready to go down the custom knife “wormhole” just yet.
Thanks all for the input.

Which Eggen did you get... the 12C27 or the H3LS

Either/Or, hope you enjoy!

Best,

GWB

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like my B&T style. Just got this one the other day, tough to beat for $150. Arno Bernard outta South Africa did a run for beretta. Very nice for the scratch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Warthog tusk scales, N690 @59-60, very nice sheath, should be a dandy. 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just keep posting pics pathfinder.👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Hopefully Phil Wilson will survive your scrutiny...
Maybe Rick too..

[Linked Image]

That’s a bout as good as it gets for a set right there !!👊🏻

Damn nice

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rusty75

Congratulations. Glad you were able to handle one before buying. That makes it a more personal choice and one you can feel good about.

I'd like to see you report back to us after you have a chance to give it some workouts.

We all meant well. Glad it worked out.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by sns2
This fall, I used a Grohmann Bird & Trout that was given to my son. I skinned out a calf moose, a mulie buck, and hundreds of geese and ducks. Easy to keep sharp and touch up. Easy on the pocketbook too, especially considering the exchange rate for you folks in the US, as it’s made in Canada. It is a very ergonomically efficient design. It’s not a super steel, but it’s also easy to sharpen. And, for your price range, you could even order it with a nice stag handle and have a beauty knife that you can be proud of.

As a coda to the above post.....

Each of the three knives that follow, I've owned and used.

https://www.coldsteel.com/canadian-belt-knife/

https://www.amazon.com/Knives-Alaska-Yukon-1-SureGrip/dp/B000IXHOOE

and a couple customs that were fashioned by Gary Dukeman, Squawsatch Knives.......

IMHO, the possibilities as to the particular blade style and price one might decide upon is almost infinite.

ya!

GWB

GWB,

I've been thinking of a Canadian belt knife for quite a while and considering the grohmann #1 or the Knives of alaska yukon or possibly the LT northern hunter large..

Can you offer input on any of these?

And if you suggest the grohmann, go SS or Carbon?

HD

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have not owned the Grohman knife and am not familiar with what stainless/carbon steels are available.

I have the Knives of Alaska Yukon Belt knife and used it quite a bit say 15 to 18 years ago. Mine was D2. A good working knife.

I see that the LT Wright Large Northern Hunter is 3V and canvas micarta.

I am a fan of 3V

Menefee Tanto, Carbon Fiber & 3V

Among the three, my preference would be the LT Wright knife in 3V.

https://www.dlttrading.com/lt-wright-large-northern-hunter-3v-saber-ground-green-canvas-matte

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/11/22.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.