Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was reading that CO is used very effectively in some commercial buildings. Of course you have to pipe it in rather than opening a bottle while you're in there. Then you have to make sure it's well aired out before going back in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I was reading that CO is used very effectively in some commercial buildings. Of course you have to pipe it in rather than opening a bottle while you're in there. Then you have to make sure it's well aired out before going back in.

And I'm guessing it's not cheap either. I use CO2 in beer, soda and wine making. It's not exactly cheap. I suspect CO, being less commonly used would be even more expensive.

A bucket or a few cats would be a much better bet.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Soda distributors, Beer tap systems, AirGas, Lindt, ....

He wants CO, not CO2.
oops..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
CO is available. We buy bottles which are used to calibrate our air monitors at work.

But I would certainly not use it for fumigation purposes. It is far too dangerous. And without proper detection equipment, you will never know it's there.

Every welding store sells bottles of Nitrogen, and CO2. They would smother anything in your building, and be far less lethal to you as you ventilate the place.

CO is so dangerous because hemoglobin has a greater affinity for CO than it does for O2. A very minute amount of CO in the air will accumulate and concentrate in your blood until the hemoglobin is not capable of carrying any Oxygen, even in an Oxygen rich atmosphere.

If you really want to fumigate the building, it is better to use an actual fumigant, and probably a licensed applicator.

Have you considered what you will do about the aroma of decomposing rodents in the walls and other inaccessable locations?

In your situation, I would go down to D&B or Tractor Supply and buy a 10 lb tub of Tomcat Rodenticide, along with four or five outside bait stations. Proper outside bait stations will prevent anything other than rodents accessing the poison baits. The outside locations will thin out the mouse or rat population before they make it into your building.

Then you have the option of baiting inside the building, but again, there's the issue of rotting carcasses.

I prefer to trap inside. There are many good, inexpensive traps on the market. I am very fond of the Tin Cat or its many clones. Once you catch the first mouse with a Tin Cat, the other mice will smell his urine and feces in the trap, and you will catch many more very quickly.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And the best thing about the traps is that you know exactly where are all the dead mice, and they are easily disposed instead of hidden away decomposing.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The Germans used to be able to get Zyklon B. It worked according to all accounts.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you for the information gentlemen. I couldn't find anything online other than CO's used commercially. I'm well aware of it's dangers. As far as dead mice in the walls, I don't know how to avoid that with any kind of fumigation. My wife's shop is where she does art glass work. Most kinds of fumigation will leave a film on the glass which will screw it up when fired in a kiln. I got curious about CO from something I read.
It looks like we'll have to keep trapping.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
True fumigants, such as Sulfuryl Fluoride are gases and will not leave residue in the home. It is perfectly safe to leave your pot, pans, plates, and eating utensils out on the counter while fumigation is taking place.

It is not like the fumigant would not get inside the cupboards and drawers anyway. That is the point of a fumigant.

Aerosol "bombs" are not fumigants.

For a fumigant to leave any trace on Momma's projects, it would have to chemically react with the glass. I find that very unlikely.

As stated earlier, those outside bait stations will drastically reduce the number of mice you will harvest after they enter the building.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Thank you for the information gentlemen. I couldn't find anything online other than CO's used commercially. I'm well aware of it's dangers. As far as dead mice in the walls, I don't know how to avoid that with any kind of fumigation. My wife's shop is where she does art glass work. Most kinds of fumigation will leave a film on the glass which will screw it up when fired in a kiln. I got curious about CO from something I read.
It looks like we'll have to keep trapping.

Get a flip n slide bucket trap or make something similar. I used to make bucket traps out of a piece of tig rod and a beer can. I'd put a ring of peanut butter around the middle of the beer can, which was suspended on a tig rod axle across the bucket. You've got to drill a couple holes in the ends of the can and the top rim of the bucket.

Use a scrap of wood to make a ramp up to the top of the bucket. The mice would jump to the can, which spun on the tig rod and fall into the bucket and drown.

I now just buy these.

Flip N Slide Mouse Trap - Made in USA

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
If your dead set on gases that can kill a bitch maybe H2S would work even better than CO…

Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Go to the pool store, get your chlorine pellet's, and some ammonia...... just saying....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow, if he’s not busy sleuthing the college coed murders in Moscow, he is going Dr Kevorkian on field mice.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
CO2 would work if the area is air tight. If it has mice there are dime sized holes somewhere.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Be careful, cobalt is dangerous sheit!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I thought you wanted to buy a tank in Colorado.

Haha

Killdozer popped inta my head.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
CO may be "in the tank," but that don't mean you can afford ta buy it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by longarm
Be careful, cobalt is dangerous sheit!
That would be Co.

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Put auto anti-freeze in the bucket/spinner-can thing, it'll keep the stink WAY down.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.