Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anyone here actually used any of the ZSR, Igman, MagTech, or similar low priced 5.56 ammo? Any comments on how it performs and whether it meets your expectations?

In using Federal and IMI M193 stuff side by side, I've found that they shoot almost identically. I don't think I'd notice the difference if I loaded the top of a mag with one and the other in the bottom.
If I found a cut rate ammo that did as well, or even almost as well, I'd likely jump on some

I've heard that the PMC stuff uses powder that produces a significant muzzle flash. Don't know if that meant one type of 5.56 from PMC, or all of their offerings.
Are there any other caveats like this with the lower cost ammo makers?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Don't know anything about their current offerings, but I do know that Igman 5.56 or 223 of 15-20 years ago was loaded in nice, tough brass.

If you end up trying out some Igman, I'd love to buy a couple of hundred pieces of brass off you, to compare to the old stuff.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I shoot quite a bit of bulk ammo in action matches but it's mostly Federal: either American Eagle bulk or XM193 bulk 55 grain. It definitely depends on the rifle, but I have generally gotten about 1.5 MOA from the AE and more like 2+ MOA with the XM193. However I have one rifle with a Daniel Defense 1/7 barrel that gave me sub MOA 5 shot groups with XM193. I found that kind of surprising.

I guess it all depends on what your accuracy requirements are. You probably need to test the ammo in your rifles to see how it shoots. Even with major brands like Federal, there's a lot of difference in accuracy between bulk and match ammo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Almost always its related to the projectile. I"ve never had a cheap FMJ or maybe even an FMJ for that matter, that could hold consistent MOA.

Whatever ammo it came in, if you made Mexican match out of it with a top line bullet the accuracy almost always settled pretty well.

No experience with todays cheap but if you bought cheap reloads with a decent flat base HP bullet in it I don't recall any brand that would not hold MOA in a good upper

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Almost always its related to the projectile. I"ve never had a cheap FMJ or maybe even an FMJ for that matter, that could hold consistent MOA.

Whatever ammo it came in, if you made Mexican match out of it with a top line bullet the accuracy almost always settled pretty well.

No experience with todays cheap but if you bought cheap reloads with a decent flat base HP bullet in it I don't recall any brand that would not hold MOA in a good upper

I've only found 2. About 20 years ago I had a very good lot of S&B that would hold MOA, and the early Norma TAC in the black boxes would hold MOA in some, but not all, of my guns.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by rost495

I've only found 2. About 20 years ago I had a very good lot of S&B that would hold MOA, and the early Norma TAC in the black boxes would hold MOA in some, but not all, of my guns.
I recall the Norma did in some folks. By that time I'd learned I could buy cheap accurate bullets in bulk and could load usually better ammo for the same as buying cheap FMJ. Maybe less depending.

There was a lot of something in 223 once. Or 5.56 I"m sure, that was close, it would tend to hold 8 or so of the shots tight enough, but never a full group of 10.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,495 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.