Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anybody use one of these?

Any idea if .50 only or did they make some .54 calibers?

I am assuming 1:48 twist?

Haven't done much research on all specs yet.

I have a carbine on my mind and one of these would be perfect.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had not one, but two .50 Greyhawks and like an idiot let them both escape me. They are 1-48. I had trouble getting the first one to shoot well until I tried Hornady PBRs(?). Those are gone now it seems. The second was purchased NIB then sold unfired, making me a double dummy. Hope to stumble on another someday

IIRC they made .54s too, but I never saw one in the flesh. Greyhawks are parts compatible with New Englanders and probably some others.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I may start looking.

I like the idea of a .54 for that monster hole but .50 ain't no slouch.

I know the .54 round ball is rough on em.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Friend of mine has a Grey Hawk in 50 cal. 24" barrel on his I believe. I think they did make them in 54 but hard to find. Other than round balls 54 cal bullets are scarce. Think I'd stick with the 50. The Tree Hawk has a shorter barrel. At least the ones I've seen.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I believe the Treehawk is just a camo'd White Mountain Carbine? They made the White Mountain in 54 cal, some usually show up on Gunbroker.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I believe the Treehawk is just a camo'd White Mountain Carbine? They made the White Mountain in 54 cal, some usually show up on Gunbroker.
That or New Englander.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Friend of mine has a Grey Hawk in 50 cal. 24" barrel on his I believe. I think they did make them in 54 but hard to find. Other than round balls 54 cal bullets are scarce. Think I'd stick with the 50. The Tree Hawk has a shorter barrel. At least the ones I've seen.
I can find .54 bullets from No Excuses as well as Bullshop.

Could also try sabots with MMP 54 caliber sabots for .50 bullets but then again that seem like a long way around the outhouse to end up back at .50

The .50 is probably the wise choice but I have never heeded my own ot others advice on that at times.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a 50 Treehawk. I never could get it to shoot conicals, it was OK with PRB but nothing special.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
That or New Englander.

The White Mountain and the Treehawk have 21" barrels with 20 twist is why I was thinking it was a camo White Mountain. I think the New Englander is 26".

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That or New Englander.

The White Mountain and the Treehawk have 21" barrels with 20 twist is why I was thinking it was a camo White Mountain. I think the New Englander is 26".
Good to know on the 20" twist. I was thinking it was a 48.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
That or New Englander.

My White Mountain is a 20 twist but I think they offered different twists at different times.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That or New Englander.

My White Mountain is a 20 twist but I think they offered different twists at different times.
Was just seeing that possibility over on another forum.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My 50 cal White Mountain was 20 but someone that had a 54 White Mountain recently said it was 48 in 1.

I had a 54 cal Renegade years ago. I'm not a round ball shooter and wouldn't do another 54 due to limited bullet choices

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i have Grey Hawks in 50 and 54
both are 1:48 and 24" IIRC
AFAIK they're just a stainless synthetic
New Englander

they're some miles away at the moment
or I would check the length

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I had a Grayhawk and enjoyed it for years. I ended up trading off to my brother-in-law for a shotgun for the kids.
The Grayhawk is a good blend of traditional style and modern materials. I drilled and tapped the tang and added a TC peep sight. It shot well and was reliable. The trigger wasn’t great and not exactly adjustable. I’m sure the trigger could be improved but with no replacement parts available I never was brave enough to try anything.

Unless you can find a deal you may be better off finding a blued model of similar style and having it nitrided.

Now I may have to see if the BIL wants to sell it back to me! But I’ve had good success with the Knight Bighorn that replaced it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
I had a Grayhawk and enjoyed it for years. I ended up trading off to my brother-in-law for a shotgun for the kids.
The Grayhawk is a good blend of traditional style and modern materials. I drilled and tapped the tang and added a TC peep sight. It shot well and was reliable. The trigger wasn’t great and not exactly adjustable. I’m sure the trigger could be improved but with no replacement parts available I never was brave enough to try anything.

Unless you can find a deal you may be better off finding a blued model of similar style and having it nitrided.

Now I may have to see if the BIL wants to sell it back to me! But I’ve had good success with the Knight Bighorn that replaced it.
The Treehawk is what I really want. More specifically one with the Mossy Oak Bottomland camo.

Probably never get one though, just dreaming.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I gambled on and bid one up a Gunbroker this past winter. When it arrived the bore was rusty, maybe not horribly, but enough to disappoint me. So I decided to continue being stupid and bought a blued barrel off Ebay. (I guess a stock barrel with the Realtree coating removed) That one was rusty on the outside. After that the enthusiasm faded and I never put it all together.

I bought it with plans to a dot sight on it. I am a traditional muzzle loading enthusiast and the whole idea disgusts me. However my eyes are apparently no longer strict traditional muzzle loading enthusiasts. laugh lmao

I passed on a buck last season at last light because I just couldn't see the sights. I thought "damn it I'm going to put together a 15 minute gun" (only to be used the last 15 minutes of the day if sitting somewhere) That's why I bought the Tree Hawk. Small enough to bring as a second gun on evening sits.

The plan is to finally shoot it this weekend if it's not raining too bad. Not looking forward to trying to sight in an RMR on a gun I've never fired. Should prove very frustrating.

I still have the pitted camo barrel somewhere if someone's looking for one.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cas6969
I gambled on and bid one up a Gunbroker this past winter. When it arrived the bore was rusty, maybe not horribly, but enough to disappoint me. So I decided to continue being stupid and bought a blued barrel off Ebay. (I guess a stock barrel with the Realtree coating removed) That one was rusty on the outside. After that the enthusiasm faded and I never put it all together.

I bought it with plans to a dot sight on it. I am a traditional muzzle loading enthusiast and the whole idea disgusts me. However my eyes are apparently no longer strict traditional muzzle loading enthusiasts. laugh lmao

I passed on a buck last season at last light because I just couldn't see the sights. I thought "damn it I'm going to put together a 15 minute gun" (only to be used the last 15 minutes of the day if sitting somewhere) That's why I bought the Tree Hawk. Small enough to bring as a second gun on evening sits.

The plan is to finally shoot it this weekend if it's not raining too bad. Not looking forward to trying to sight in an RMR on a gun I've never fired. Should prove very frustrating.

I still have the pitted camo barrel somewhere if someone's looking for one.
.50 or .54?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

After shooting it Saturday, I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it, keep it or not. It's a neat handy little package for sure, but in the using it didn't blow me away. I've had a New Englander for many many years and I love it, but I'm not sure the Tree Hawk is different enough to justify keeping. If I get to hunt again later in the month I'll bring it with me and see if that sways me one way or another.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I could simplify life by ordering a fast twist from Rice and shortening it some.

I don't know how short I can go without making it too butt heavy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.