Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kevinJ
So if your a non resident most states won’t allow you to bring the meat home then if you hunt and kill something in tx. as lots of states won’t allow meat that isn’t deboned due to CWD
Brought through or in.

CWD is only found in the spine and brain. You do not have to take the spine out of the field in TX just the quarters with the leg bones in them.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco
It’s always been that way here in Texas. What are the laws in other states??

Here you can bone out the meat, but at least one piece needs to have evidence of sex, naturally attached.

Comes in handy when you need to pack out a large animal like an elk. In AK you can bone it out too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not debating where cwd is or isn’t found in a deer

What I’m stating is that most states won’t allow deer or elk meat transported through or to them that isn’t deboned because of cwd concerns.

Skull plates have to be cleaned

Seeing as pay hunts are big money for texas economy you would think your fish cops would have figured out deboning a deer at camp prior to driving home out of state is a good idea. Instead they see it as a good way to write another ticket.

Typical law enforcement BS

Last edited by kevinJ; 12/07/22.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well that scratched my Texas plans for next year. I hunt on my 1500 acre lease 18 miles north of the Florida line and cant bring bone in meat home,not even the neck for the crock pot. I live in Fl and hunt Alabama we cant even bring a skull and cape to Fl if ya want it mounted, it has to be done in Al. Sorry ya ran into problems but it helped me a lot. Thanks

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by hanco
It’s always been that way here in Texas. What are the laws in other states??

Here you can bone out the meat, but at least one piece needs to have evidence of sex, naturally attached.

Comes in handy when you need to pack out a large animal like an elk. In AK you can bone it out too.
Read carefully before boning meat in AK, many units are bone in salvage required.

And to the OP, sorry you got a ticket. Seems like anyone who isn’t a dumbass could see what you were trying to accomplish and gave you the okay. But some guys are just dickheads, seems like a large percentage of game wardens fall into this group.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
Did you bother reading the regulations? I live in TX and they clearly state you cannot break a deer down any further than the 4 quarters and backstraps in the field. That is the minimum you must take off a deer but you can also take the neck meat, rib meat, flank meat and shanks but the 4 main quarters and backstraps must be whole. It is NOT legal in TX to completely bone a deer out in the field. That is the law and I seriously doubt an outfitter in TX encouraged you to break the law. Not buying that part of it.

For all you idiots calling the GW a dick, he is enforcing the law. When you hunt in states other than your own (I have held licenses in 13 states) you need to read the regulations for those states. I grew up in CO but when I hunted in WY, MT, UT, OK, TX, CA, AZ, NM etc... I made sure I did things in accordance with the laws in those states and ignorance of the laws will not prevent getting a ticket.
He never said he did it "in the field".

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MAC
So if your a non resident most states won’t allow you to bring the meat home then if you hunt and kill something in tx. as lots of states won’t allow meat that isn’t deboned due to CWD
Brought through or in.

CWD is only found in the spine and brain. You do not have to take the spine out of the field in TX just the quarters with the leg bones in them.
This is incorrect. They test areas with high concentrations of the prion, hence wanting lymph nodes. But it's not wholly contained to those areas in a carcass. Any body fluid can carry/spread the prion, including blood. De-boned meat is far less likely to come into contact with other animals than partially processed meat...

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I assumed he was doing this at camp.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Chickenshit ticket by a chippy cu.nt of a game warden. It does nothing to benefit the wildlife and everything to do with collecting the king’s ransom.

If the outfitter has a processing facility on the ranch or cold storage facility then it sounds like you’d win in court if you challenged it. They know that you aren’t going to the trouble of driving back and forth so they pull this kind of bullshit. 🤬

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much influence do the meat processors have?

The ranchers putting on the hunts offer processing?

Did yours offer it? Was he happy with you doing it yourself?

Wouldn't surprise me the money made processing game influences law.

They know you can't travel with bone, and it is illegal for you to cut it
yourself....

If your outfitter provides processing, good chance the Possum Cop got
A call from him.

You broke the law, but LEOs aren't forced to cite.
Some, have a "need" to?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you wanted to push this with an attorney, based on precedent in other situations, I think you could make a case that the meat being packaged and in your possession IS the final destination. This would be the case in other instances where people hunt and then process/store meat in cabins, RVs, fish shacks, etc. that are not their permanent residences and not ultimately the final destination of the meat. But their bag/possession limits often reset based on the meat being processed/frozen in those "temporary" destinations.

Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The meat was taken off the bone in the back yard of the ranch house where we stayed . Of course by that time, evidence of sex had already been thrown away too. I am sure now reading the rules as posted on the fire that I could have been cited for that too. All in all, not a very good trip.

Rolly
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some thoughts on this.

Technically a "law" was broken. But like many laws, it is a bureaucratic paper pushing law.

In my opinion, once an animal is taken legally, it is my property. Just like any other property I own. OP's deer were processed in my opinion.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would pay the fine & then never step foot in TX again.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rolly
The game warden did nothing wrong and was very polite and courteous.

What the game warden DIDN'T do was use a little discretion....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MAC
Brought through or in.

Well no really but hey. Prions have been found in muscle meat.

It is the law in Texas and has been for years. It is the hunters responsibility to know the game laws where they hunt, that being said no on can know them all.
Next time just wrap the boned out meat up, then it would be considered processed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Does anyone have a link to any state game laws saying you cannot import ANY bones? I can find plenty of reference to spinal columns as well as raw skulls.

We bring a 20# propane tank, turkey cooker burner, a SS rectangle buffet pan and boil any skulls we want to bring home intact. The pan fits 1 elk skull or 2 deer skulls at a time.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sorry you had to deal with that Rolly. Sounds like you handled it as gracefully as possible. Yeah, the hunter should know the law...but I would have thought the outfitter would have let you known about this. I think I'd have been more pissed at them than the game warden.

I hunt an adjoining state. The location I hunt there is within a mile of the state I live in. The deer I take there may have lived as much of their life in one state as the other. By law, I can only bring the meat and cleaned skull/antlers back in....so to cross the state line I've got to debone everything. I would have made the assumption that I had to bone it out before leaving TX.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Game warden could have seized that meat and given it to a local needy family. He cut you some slack there. I'm not being a smartass, either.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m sorry you were written up, game wardens come through our camp a couple times a year, check licenses, make sure deer are tagged, etc. They know where most camps are, check randomly during the year. I’ve been on a half dozen leases all over Texas through the years, wardens came to every one at least once a year. I don’t think that was a set up.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,252
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.