Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dad paid $39.95 for mine, at the Coast-to-Coast hardware store, when I turned 13. It has had a hard life, but it still shoots, though not very well, and God forbid you put more than 15 rounds in that 18 round tube. Mine choked and puked a lot back in the day. Once I figured out that reducing magazine capacity made it more reliable, it perks along fairly well. It still doesn't shoot very well, though. The Marlin "carries" better than my 10/22s, but I trust the Rugers somewhat more. My Rugers DO shoot better than that poor old Marlin, which somewhere went off the rails, and doesn't shoot too well.
I left it with Dad while I was in the Army, and he USED it, and it probably spent a lot of time in the pickup's rifle rack back then. Dad thought of guns as tools, and treated them as such. Oh well. I keep it around for coons, stray ferals, and such.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 2 stainless Marlin 60s that I don't have any particular use for and would sell them for $250 each or $500 for the pair. One has a plain hardwood stock and the other has synthetic stock with a carbon fiber pattern.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This You Tube piece helped me fix my friend's 60 that wouldn't eject empties.

DF

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Marlins of every kind are rapidly inflating well beyond their value. The 10/22 has always had a lot more going for it anyways. The 60 is a nice looking rifle and I see the appeal, but the 10/22 has a set of attributes that cannot be beat by a Marlin semi auto.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by drover
There have been over 11 million model 60's manufactured so there can't be too much wrong with them. They were a reasonably priced rifle that performed well.

drover
They were disposable. We used to buy new ones because they were cheaper than buying parts.

Prices will come back to reasonable when Ruger starts making new ones.

Last edited by 24HourCampFireGuy50; 12/05/22.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
There have been over 11 million model 60's manufactured so there can't be too much wrong with them. They were a reasonably priced rifle that performed well.

drover
They were disposable. We used to buy new ones because they were cheaper than buying parts.

A whole lot of Bullschitt right there. 🤪🤪🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

drover

I doubt that Ruger will make any of the Marlin models that would compete with rifles that they already make, so none of the bolt or semi-auto rimfires, just the lever action rifles as that is a market niche that Ruger didn't have much success with when they made the Model 96s.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

drover

I doubt that Ruger will make any of the Marlin models that would compete with rifles that they already make, so none of the bolt or semi-auto rimfires, just the lever action rifles as that is a market niche that Ruger didn't have much success with when they made the Model 96s.

Nailed it !!!
Not to mention the fact that Marlin Model 60’s were never “Disposable Rifles”. 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Been on the hunt for a rifle like the very first one I bought with my own money. A Glenfield Model 60 with the squirrel stamped on the stock. Haven't been able to find any under $300 that weren't just completely trashed. Man, the model 60 was always the "cheap" .22. Found a very nice 10/22 for $199, was tempted to buy it just based on price, but I passed.

How much are nice Model 60's going for in your neck of the woods? I'll head to the Reno gun show next weekend to see what I can find.
Not sure here.. The one I bought (used) about 25 years ago cost me the princely sum of $60.. And it was in about 98% condition... Still is. My son uses it from time to time and it's never failed him..

I wish you luck in finding a good one at a reasonable price..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

drover

Agree.

DF

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The price of a new basic Ruger 10/22 is about $300, now. Guess they figure, since there’s no Marlin 60 to compete with, they can just keep jacking the price up and up.....

Went shooting with a buddy, today. He brought along a new Rossi Semiauto 22. Looked very similar to the old Marlin 795. He had just bought it (for $99). It shot fine. If they could put a tubular magazine on it, and sell it for $150, it’d be the king of the cheap 22’s. I doubt Rossi will have enough sense to do this.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fburgtx
The price of a new basic Ruger 10/22 is about $300, now. Guess they figure, since there’s no Marlin 60 to compete with, they can just keep jacking the price up and up.....

Went shooting with a buddy, today. He brought along a new Rossi Semiauto 22. Looked very similar to the old Marlin 795. He had just bought it (for $99). It shot fine. If they could put a tubular magazine on it, and sell it for $150, it’d be the king of the cheap 22’s. I doubt Rossi will have enough sense to do this.

Every time Rossi makes a decent product, they either discontinue it or eventually screw it up.

The early versions of their pump .22 and pump .17 HMR Winchester clones worked great and were accurate too. As were their early stainless Winchester 92 clones.

I wish they’d do a remake of the Remington Nylon 66 rifles.

As he stated, they don’t have much competition with the Marlin .22 rifles gone from the market. They’re not going to make a product that competes with their 10/22 Line of rifles.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Every time Rossi makes a decent product, they either discontinue it or eventually screw it up.

The early versions of their pump .22 and pump .17 HMR Winchester clones worked great and were accurate too. As were their early stainless Winchester 92 clones.

As he stated, they don’t have much competition with the Marlin .22 rifles gone from the market. They’re not going to make a product that competes with their 10/22 Line of rifles.

You can still find the CBC/FIE GR8, the Brazilian version of the Nylon 66, in the $200 range on GB fairly regularly.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

yes I have a very early interarms imported Rossi 62 pump and also a 92 lever lever has no safety no crazy puma emblem on the side just basic business and it's been awesome for years .got both of these used somewhere in the later 80s very early 90s

Last edited by ldholton; 12/06/22.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Geez back in the day I worked for Kmart Sporting goods, sold hundreds of them for $37

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Disposable?
OK,,,, lol
I wonder how many rounds it would take to wear one out?
I bought a used one decades ago that I fired tens of thousands of rounds thru that never broke
It would need to be cleaned every 2500 rounds or thereabouts as it would begin to jam. then be good for another 2500

They get advertised locally here for under $200

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
GunGeek: I was at a gunshop today that had two of the "J. C. Higgins" versions of the Marlin Model 60's for sale - they both were on "consignment" and priced at $295.00 and $315.00 (with very nice ring mounts and a Bushnell scope on this one).
I felt they were both over-priced by at least $75.00 and they appeared in good shape+.
Wish I could be more help.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought one with birthday money from dad and grandparents, etc, when I was 10 (1981). Think I had $60 (maybe a little more), and I got the rifle (minus the squirrel stock) and 2 trays of CCI ammo (not sure if it was, but was in trays like minimags) at Fred’s Dollar Store!

Sold it a couple of years later to an older gentleman to help (along with yard mowing $) buy a mossberg pump 12 gauge so I could start duck hunting.

Then I bought it back about 20yrs later! Still have it now. Only in a small town!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Geez back in the day I worked for Kmart Sporting goods, sold hundreds of them for $37

I can remember our local Gibson’s Discount Center, and TG&Y selling them for $49 bucks when I was in jr high. I think the Remington Nylon 66 was $59. And the Marlin 39 was like $109. And, of course, ammo for $5 a brick.

I use to mow our famed local Conn Man & LBJ Crony Bill Sol Estes’ yard back then. He’d pay me with a nice crisp fresh $100 bill. So I was n.igger rich when I’d ride my bike to Gibson’s or TG&Y to buy a gun and some Ammo. 😬
Of course, I’d have to get Mom to fill out the paper work and take the gun home.
We didn’t get a K-Mart until I was a sophomore in HS. I remember they had a decent Fishing Dept. I never payed much attention to their Guns they stocked.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/09/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LazyL0228
Any JM stamped Marlin are high will never be made again. 300 to 350 around here.

I was not aware of JM being involved with the Model 60. I do have one that I bought about 10-14 years ago. When did the JM stampings discontinue ??

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.