Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have been debating whether or not to post my recent experience in Texas but finally fell on the side of “just do it “ so here goes. I hunted deer and hogs along with 6 others on a free range ranch. It was an outfitted hunt using elevated blinds and feeders. After two and a half days I had shot my two deer as did one of the other hunters. Nobody else had fired a shot. Not a single hog was even seen.
My winter base is about 750 miles from where I was hunting. After my deer were cleaned and in ice chests I began boning and trying to reduce the bulk in the coolers getting ready to leave on the long drive for home.
That evening a very nice Tx game warden came into camp and cited me for having de-boned meat except at the meat’s “final destination “. I explained that I was getting ready to leave for home and that I was even encouraged to de-bone my meat by the outfitter. No joy!
I called the local Justice of the Peace, explained myself to the very nice justice and was told my fine was $281.
So, my point of writing this is that you best check on the law before you simply think you can box up your meat and either fly or drive it home when it comes time to leave Texas. I violated the law and reluctantly but willingly paid my fine. That is Texas law. No deboned meat is permitted except at it’s final destination.
I don’t know what the law states regarding exotics or hogs.

Last edited by Rolly; 12/07/22.

Rolly
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds like a BS ticket to me, sorry that happened to you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah another Game Warden just being a dick.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could have let you slide on that one and made sure the Outfitter knew the rule from now on......

Last edited by JPro; 12/07/22.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Exactly.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks for the heads up. That easily could have happened to me.

Sorry to hear it happened to you, though.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
What if you took it to a processor and had it packaged ? That makes no sense

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Exactly.

The outfitter didn't exactly help matters and damn well should of known better.

Rolly, sorry you got nailed on it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Truth be known most of us break some obscure law w/o even knowing it. No shame in it imo, we're not lawyers for cripes sake.

LOL
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That took all of two seconds to find

Cold Storage, Processing and Taxidermy

Valid Sep. 1, 2022 through Aug. 31, 2023.

Deer and Pronghorn
A deer and pronghorn may be skinned and quartered (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two backstraps) for transport, provided the quartered deer or pronghorn is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer or pronghorn. See Cold Storage or Processing Facility for exceptions.
Deer or pronghorn may only be processed beyond quarters at a location that qualifies as a final destination.
All Game Animals (including deer and pronghorn)
The four quarters and two backstraps are the only parts of a game animal required by law to be kept in edible condition.
Tagging and proof-of-sex requirements, if required, continue to apply until the wildlife resource reaches a final destination other than a Type 1 cold storage or processing facility, and is quartered.
While in camp you may remove and prepare a part of a wildlife resource if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts until the parts reach a final destination.
Facilities
A cold storage or processing facility may be established anywhere, including on property where hunting is conducted. It must be stationary and designed to process and/or store wild game. A vehicle, trailer, or other mobile storage or processing arrangement is not lawful.

Commercial Cold Storage or Processing Facility Record Keeping Requirements
A person may place and maintain, or possess, in a cold storage or processing facility, lawfully harvested game birds and game animals not in excess of the number permitted to be possessed by law, if the owner, operator, or lessee of the cold storage or processing facility maintains the record book as required by law with:

name, address, and hunting license number of all persons placing game animals or game birds in storage (if a person other than the person who harvested the game bird or animal, places a game bird or game animal in storage, that person’s name and address must be included);
number and species of all game animals and game birds in storage, and
date each game animal or game bird was placed in storage (information must be entered into the record book before game is placed in storage)
Type 1 Commercial Cold Storage or Processing Facility Requirements
A place of business open to the public for the purpose of storing or processing game animals or game birds upon demand on a for-profit basis or in exchange for anything of value must comply with the record keeping requirements described above, and as follows:

tags, permits, or WRDs, when applicable, must remain attached to birds until the birds are finally processed;
tags, permits, or WRDs, when applicable, must remain attached to pronghorn until the carcass is quartered; for deer, tagging and proof of sex requirements cease once the required information detailed above has been entered in the cold storage log, and the county and name of the ranch or property where the deer was harvested has been recorded.
for deer: tag, or WRD, as applicable, must be retained on the premises for as long as the carcass or any part of the carcass remains in the possession of the cold storage or processing facility.
Type 2 Commercial Cold Storage or Processing Facility on Hunting Lease Requirements
A cold storage facility that is not open to the public on an on-demand basis, and is utilized to store or process game taken by persons on properties where hunting by individuals in return for pay or other consideration occurs (a hunting lease) must comply with the record keeping requirements described above, and as follows:

For turkey, proof of sex and tagging requirements cease to apply when the turkey has been entered in a cold storage record book.
Once a deer or pronghorn has been entered in the cold storage record book it may be finally processed. Proof of sex and tagging requirements continue to apply until the deer or pronghorn has at least been quartered and entered into the record book.
Private, Non-Commercial, Family-Owned Cold Storage or Processing Facility
Except as noted below, a cold storage record book is not required for game animals or game birds placed in a private, family-owned, non-commercial cold storage or processing facility that is not used by paying hunters; however, all tagging and proof of sex requirements apply. At a private, non-commercial facility where a record book meeting the requirements of a commercial cold storage or processing facility is voluntarily maintained, proof of sex and tagging requirements are the same as for a Type 2 commercial facility (described above).

Save your tag and/or permit. After a wildlife resource reaches its final destination and tagging requirements have ceased, the possessor is encouraged to retain tags or permits in order to prevent delay or problems (cold storage or processor refusing to accept meat, etc.). When taking game (meat/ head/hide) that you have processed at home to a commercial processor, simply attach the appropriate hunting license tag or permit to the game.

Taxidermist
Hunters who give any part of a game animal or game bird to a taxidermist for mounting must attach a WRD (not the tag from the hunting license or permit) to the part.

In return, for deer, pronghorn, turkey and pheasant, the taxidermist must give the hunter a receipt as prescribed in Proof of Sex - Exception. The taxidermist “proof of sex” receipt for the part must accompany the tagged carcass until it reaches its final destination and is finally processed. If the taxidermist places any game animal or game bird in cold storage, then the cold storage or processing facility record book is required by law. Without the appropriate record book and a WRD accompanying the game animal or game bird, a taxidermist may be exceeding the prescribed possession limits for game animals and game birds. Taxidermy information packets may be downloaded.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
What if you took it to a processor and had it packaged ? That makes no sense

Texas Hunting Annual - Processing of Game Animals

Deer and Pronghorn

A deer and pronghorn may be skinned and quartered (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two backstraps) for transport, provided the quartered deer or pronghorn is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer or pronghorn. See Cold Storage or Processing Facility for exceptions.

Deer or pronghorn may only be processed beyond quarters at a location that qualifies as a final destination.

All Game Animals (including deer and pronghorn)

The four quarters and two backstraps are the only parts of a game animal required by law to be kept in edible condition.

Tagging and proof-of-sex requirements, if required, continue to apply until the wildlife resource reaches a final destination and is quartered.

While in camp you may remove and prepare a part of a wildlife resource if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts until the parts reach a final destination.

Final destination

The permanent residence of the hunter; the permanent residence of any other person receiving the animal/bird carcass part of an animal/bird carcass; or a cold storage or processing facility.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Did you bother reading the regulations? I live in TX and they clearly state you cannot break a deer down any further than the 4 quarters and backstraps in the field. That is the minimum you must take off a deer but you can also take the neck meat, rib meat, flank meat and shanks but the 4 main quarters and backstraps must be whole. It is NOT legal in TX to completely bone a deer out in the field. That is the law and I seriously doubt an outfitter in TX encouraged you to break the law. Not buying that part of it.

For all you idiots calling the GW a dick, he is enforcing the law. When you hunt in states other than your own (I have held licenses in 13 states) you need to read the regulations for those states. I grew up in CO but when I hunted in WY, MT, UT, OK, TX, CA, AZ, NM etc... I made sure I did things in accordance with the laws in those states and ignorance of the laws will not prevent getting a ticket.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
So if your a non resident most states won’t allow you to bring the meat home then if you hunt and kill something in tx. as lots of states won’t allow meat that isn’t deboned due to CWD
Brought through or in.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by kevinJ
So if your a non resident most states won’t allow you to bring the meat home then if you hunt and kill something in tx. as lots of states won’t allow meat that isn’t deboned due to CWD
Brought through or in.

^^^^THIS^^^^
Down south you are breaking the law if you cross state lines with bone in quarters. All meat must be deboned.
It's kinda screwed up.

Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The game warden did nothing wrong and was very polite and courteous. The outfitter encouraged me to bone the meat prior to my leaving. This was all my fault. I didn’t know the law. My point is to just warn others who may do something similar with their deer, antelope, exotic game species or feral hog. Find out what the law is and make no assumptions.

Rolly
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s always been that way here in Texas. What are the laws in other states??

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
The whole point of the Lacey Act and anti-CWD measures is that you SHOULD be traveling with de-boned meat. So while it looks like you were technically violating in Texas, that's pretty lame.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rolly you sound like a stand up guy taking responsibility for your actions. That said, it also sounds like a stupid law that could use amending. Especially given the CWD issues.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Brought through or in.

^^^^THIS^^^^
Down south you are breaking the law if you cross state lines with bone in quarters. All meat must be deboned.
It's kinda screwed up.
KY won’t take our deer on the hoof even.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
745 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 82 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.