Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
First impressions as I picked it up yesterday. It is built by Armscor (RIA supplier as well) and PSA had them on sale for $399. When I bought it they had a $20 discount on checkout so well priced at $379. I have handled RIA's in the past and they seemed to be put together well and receive solid reviews. My piece is fitted extremely well with absolutely zero movement of slide to frame or barrel to slide/frame. It reminds of a Baer I owned that are fitted tight to be shot in. It utilizes a bushingless bull barrel, LPA sights, decent G10 grips and mag well with a pretty crisp 5# trigger pull. Just a pretty darn impressive piece. I am headed out of town tomorrow so will not get to shoot for a week or so. It appears promising. More later.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
well Taylor and company as far as black powder replicas go are supposed to be the best of the best they take the other productions and improve them or finalize them if you would..

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
At five pounds, your trigger pull is right in the middle of the factory’s permitted range, which requires that the trigger hold a four pound weight, but drop the hammer with a six pound weight.

Your pistol’s trigger over-travel adjustment screw is an often under-appreciated feature. It is left unadjusted when it is installed at the factory, because it would consume too much of an assembler’s valuable time to adjust it properly. So, it should be one of the first things to get your attention. From your photos, it does not appear to have been adjusted for minimum over-travel, yet. What I do is turn it in until the sear won’t release the hammer, then back it out until it just barely does. With the trigger kept fully pulled, I slowly lower and raise the hammer repeatedly, while carefully checking by feel to be sure the sear does not even lighten bump the half-cock and full-cock notches. I then back the screw out another quarter turn and call it good. When adjusted in this way, the five pound trigger pull can be made to feel mighty nice.

Every day’s an adventure.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks a lot Ed! Those Taylor and Co 1911’s that PSA has been almost giving away have caught my eye. I don’t need or want any more guns to deal with. I’ve got to stop at PSA today for a flat of 12 gauge target loads….thanks a lot Ed!

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Thanks a lot Ed! Those Taylor and Co 1911’s that PSA has been almost giving away have caught my eye. I don’t need or want any more guns to deal with. I’ve got to stop at PSA today for a flat of 12 gauge target loads….thanks a lot Ed!

He is being..........not nice!

Saw his first post and been thinking about it since..
Has been a struggle, but I don't shoot 10 or 40, so buying reloading
gear, bullets.....I've been staying away.

Then, he doubles down...

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by cra1948

He is being..........not nice!

Saw his first post and been thinking about it since..
Has been a struggle, but I don't shoot 10 or 40, so buying reloading
gear, bullets.....I've been staying away.

Then, he doubles down...

They’re selling that.45 A1 clone even cheaper… No matter…I’m a 10mm fan…just have to remind myself of that arthritis in the thumb joint and the pain that results from much 10mm or .45 shooting

Mathew 22: 37-39

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Out of stock…..

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Have experience with two RIA 10mm. Both needed extractor tuning but they run. One of them I’ve fired, it is very accurate. Trigger pull is five pounds and crisp. Pretty nice field pistol

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking
Out of stock…..
There are other sources with different names on the guns, but they’re the same guns from the same maker.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

My grips are a bit different than EdM’s. Happy with it, for $399. (The flash almost makes it look two-tone, it is not).

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Exchipy
At five pounds, your trigger pull is right in the middle of the factory’s permitted range, which requires that the trigger hold a four pound weight, but drop the hammer with a six pound weight.

Your pistol’s trigger over-travel adjustment screw is an often under-appreciated feature. It is left unadjusted when it is installed at the factory, because it would consume too much of an assembler’s valuable time to adjust it properly. So, it should be one of the first things to get your attention. From your photos, it does not appear to have been adjusted for minimum over-travel, yet. What I do is turn it in until the sear won’t release the hammer, then back it out until it just barely does. With the trigger kept fully pulled, I slowly lower and raise the hammer repeatedly, while carefully checking by feel to be sure the sear does not even lighten bump the half-cock and full-cock notches. I then back the screw out another quarter turn and call it good. When adjusted in this way, the five pound trigger pull can be made to feel mighty nice.
Ex, any chance of the screw working its way back in via vibration to the point that the trigger won't trip the sear?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the gun is for defense, make sure you Locktite the overtravel adjustment screw in place.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
If the gun is for defense, make sure you Locktite the overtravel adjustment screw in place.
Red or blue?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Ex, any chance of the screw working its way back in via vibration to the point that the trigger won't trip the sear?

Not likely. More likely to work itself out, than in. But, I’d sure follow GunGeek’s advice:

Blue 242 medium strength or pink 222 low strength Loctite would do it. Red would foreclose much possibly of later adjustment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m interested in your range report. I saw these when ordered the Springfield XDM Elite 10mm they had with 5 mags for $549.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Took mine out, yesterday. First two mags were flawless. Was shooting a couple inches high, a few clicks down, and it was right on. Second two mags, I had a FTF, each. Decided to try the other mag that was supplied. Had a FTF with it, as well. The last go-round (with the second mag) had no malfunctions.

That was one box of ammo. Blazer Brass 180gr FMJ. I had cleaned the excess oil off the exterior, but left the rails well-lubricated. It was extracting/ejecting just fine, about 8-10 feet to the right, and 1-2 feet back.

1) It’s a new 1911. I expect the possibility of a few hiccups the first 100-200 rounds, seeing as how it hasn’t been slicked up like a $2500 Brown or Wilson.

2) I’ve had good luck with Blazer Brass in the past, but this being a 10mm (40 cal), the ammo, though FMJ, had the “truncated cone” that lots of 40 cal FMJ seems to have (rather than the rounded profile of most 45 and 9mm FMJ). Not saying that def hurt feeding, but likely didn’t help.

3) While the feed ramp and chamber were not “rough”, the “transition” or breakover point, from feed ramp to chamber, was pretty sharp. I have now polished that area with some 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil, to smooth up that transition.

I think the polishing I did, along with another 50-100 rds, will most likely take care of things. I’m hoping, worst case, I’ll simply switch to ammo with a bullet profile slightly more conducive to good feeding. It wouldn’t be the first 1911 to be more “finicky” about ammo, than the average Glock.

I like the ergos/sights/grips/etc. My buddy bought one of the 9mm Taylors, that PSA had, that is almost identical. It WAS flawless. With that said, it’s rear sight had no dots or outline and was only windage adjustable (loosen a screw and drift it) and the front sight had no dot or serrations, and was MUCH more difficult to deal with than the fiberoptic of the 10mm.

EdM’s photos are more “representative” of the finish, than my (offered mainly to show the different grips I received) photo.

The trigger was “ok to good”. I’m guessing between 5 and 6 pounds. Nothing to brag about, but nothing to complain about, either. Perfectly acceptable for a sub-$1000 (and definitely in a sub $500) 1911.

If the polishing and/or ammo fixes the feeding, it will be a heckuva bargain. If not, well, it is still a nice gun, but will fit more in the realm of “range toy”, in which case, I’ll likely trade it off, seeing as how a 10mm occasionally finicky range toy is not something I need more of.....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Too bad you polished it. That may void warranty coverage for the barrel, depending on how much you did.

Armscor/Rock Island Armory made products all come with a limited lifetime warranty which covers the gun (whether with the original or a subsequent owner) till it just plain wears out (a very long time indeed).

If the problem you described continues after you’ve shot the gun a good deal more, contact Chief Gunsmith shawnarmscor.com to see what you can work out with him. Worst case = Armscor sells you a new barrel, if the barrel’s the problem. They’ll install the replacement barrel and function test the gun, fully reinstating the lifetime warranty.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Literally all I did was wrap 400 grit around a pencil, and polish the breakover point, slightly. Essentially, replicating what 2-300 rounds of ammo getting jammed up the feed ramp and into the chamber would do. No Dremel tools involved!!

If it’s still having issues, I’m more likely to just send it down the road, than play back and forth gun tag with Armscor, on a $399 gun.

We’ll see what happens. Definitely not sending to a gunsmith. At that point, the “bargain” aspect of the gun, is gone. Thanks for the heads up on the contact info for Armscor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Red or blue?
Honestly either will work. I'm a bit more cautious, so I just removed the screw altogether on my LW Commander. Even removed, overtravel just isn't an issue with that pistol. My only other 1911 has an A1 style trigger.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fburgtx
No Dremel tools involved!!

If it’s still having issues, I’m more likely to just send it down the road, than play back and forth gun tag with Armscor, on a $399 gun.

We’ll see what happens. Definitely not sending to a gunsmith. At that point, the “bargain” aspect of the gun, is gone. Thanks for the heads up on the contact info for Armscor.
If it’s a warranty repair, shipping both ways is on them. How’d you be put out?

If you “just send it down the road,” maybe the next owner will take advantage of the limited lifetime warranty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
396 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.