Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the largest operations in the country or so they say. 150-seat fighting pits.

Makes ya wonder how they got away with it for so long.

I never understood the appeal myself.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/of...easterling-family-department-of-justice#

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The local Hmong love it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They can't get fentanyl off the street but are hell on illegal cockfighting, go figure!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Years ago there was some large sums of money that changed hands at the cock fights. I heard of guys losing their trucks in some of the wagers too. A lot of crazy stuff went on at those events.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I tried it for a while, but I bruised too easy.

Last edited by bkraft; 12/07/22.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Years ago there was some large sums of money that changed hands at the cock fights. I heard of guys losing their trucks in some of the wagers too. A lot of crazy stuff went on at those events.

Gotta be the gambling that’s the appeal more than the fights. I knew about the $500+ roosters, a friend once drove $30,000 worth of pullets from here to El Paso.

The article mentions a $1,500 entry fee to put seven roosters into the ring.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Never had any interest in it. But when I lived and worked in Houston in the early 70s, some of the guys I worked with had fighting roosters and the knives they attached to their legs when fighting.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That reminds of this story. What an unlucky 1 in a 100 million way to go out. https://www.foxnews.com/world/polic...ng-roosters-blade-while-breaking-up-game

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bkraft
I tried it for a while, but I bruised too easy.

They got pills for that!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Use to go to Derby's when I was young.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Used to be yards full of fighting cocks around here..

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
One place 20-30 miles from me got busted a few years back. It had 2 levels of seating, and a bar & grill.

But how do they keep from getting busted???????? Sheesh... payola to the right people. Same way with a county staying dry. Enough moonshiners paying enough politicians to keep it that way.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
That reminds of this story. What an unlucky 1 in a 100 million way to go out. https://www.foxnews.com/world/polic...ng-roosters-blade-while-breaking-up-game

Not the first time it's happened in the Philippines. In the Philippines and a lot of countries with a Spanish cultural background, they fight slashers. They only heel one leg on the cock with a gaff that has an upswept curved blade that's sharpened on the inside of the curve. When I was over there, I used to go to cockfights pretty regularly. Anyway, I can remember at least twice reading in the paper about people in the cockpit getting nailed by a heeled rooster and bleeding to death.

There was a cockfight busted near hear a while back, I think in the last year or so.

Compare the life of a gamecock to the life of a meat chicken or egg layer and tell me again what animal cruelty is....as a nation, we have lost our collective mind.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The only reason the gov't pursues busting cockfights is because they don"t get a cut...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All the fuqked up things going on in our state and cockfighting is a high priority, been all over the news here today.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A couple of my workers raise and fight the birds. I don't get it, but it's not my culture.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
There was a place called the chicken pit here in Pike county for years. I never went but heard that thousands of dollars were bet each weekend there. Rumor was that the sheriff at the time had interest in it. That was never confirmed though.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
How do you recognize the Polack at the chicken fight?- - - - - - -He's the one with the duck.

How do you recognize the Mexican at the chicken fight?- - - - - - -He's betting on the duck!

How do you know the mob is running the chicken fight?- - - - - - -The duck wins!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Remember my dad talking about going to watch cockfights as a young man.

Back in the early '70s I had a route job that took me into a semi-rural neighborhood at edge of town. Last house on dead-end gravel lane had probably 25 - 30 or so fighting roosters on the back side of the lot. Each had it's own little 'TP' style hut with food and water and each rooster was tethered by a short leg-hold leash. Never saw any hens there at all.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by joken2
Remember my dad talking about going to watch cockfights as a young man.

Back in the early '70s I had a route job that took me into a semi-rural neighborhood at edge of town. Last house on dead-end gravel lane had probably 25 - 30 or so fighting roosters on the back side of the lot. Each had it's own little 'TP' style hut with food and water and each rooster was tethered by a short leg-hold leash. Never saw any hens there at all.

That's the only way to raise fighting roosters. If one happens to get loose it will methodically kill all the tethered ones. That behavior is instinctive. People get paid very well to raise fighters- - - -which, BTW, is not illegal. Until one is actually participating in the fights, it's just another livestock animal.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 43 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,343
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.