Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
You argue like my Ex

Yes hombre .. you can make a AR cloverleaf if you really know how to accurize it and buy a decent barrel

Below - Regular AR.. lapped barrel, bolt lugs, bedded barrel extension, good trigger, … and a couple other things =
BTW - This rifle is already sold.. I built 4 that shot this way…
First shot is a fouling shot (which is crazy because the barrel isn’t broken in beyond me cleaning it up so it will shoot better with time)

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by TWR
I posted pictures of the groups… and was trained by one of the best smiths…

But hey what do i know that you don’t… smile

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I’m not sure about that - I can get most of them to shoot inside a dime at 100 yards with the right accurizing.

Originally Posted by wareagle700
I think you will be disappointed.
Expecting that accuracy from that type AR just isn't going to happen with a human behind the rifle.

Having said that, the most accurate barrel would be a high end custom with a tight match chamber and properly headspaced bolt. Why do you need a .5 MOA SBR???

Everyone can I guess. According to a lot of posts we used to hear about. I'm glad we don't hear the bs as much as we used to hear. That black rifle challenge, that certifiable mentioned, here kind of toned down that talk a bit.
Well for starters, where are the dime sized pics from your 8" SBR's?

Curious as to how breaking in a barrel will make it more accurate.

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I do precision chambering and tried to get the high end guys to send me a blank so I could chamber it - but they won’t do that…

Bullzhit.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
X2.

MM

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Show me a Krieger or WhiteOak AR barrel you can buy that isn’t chambered - I asked them to get me one… they won’t.

If I missed one that does let me know…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOA does sell only finished barrels.
But Krieger & many others will sell you a rifled cylindrical blank that you must do all the finishing on including clambering & installing the barrel extension.

Should be no problem for one of your skill.

Or buy a finished barrel from CLE with one of their 4 different chamber options.......Frank White & his team really do know a thing or 2 about barrels & chambering them right. He has blanks from Bartlien, Krieger, Douglas & Criterion.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
Well pilgram around here we don't consider 3 shots a group but whatever...
I thought it was 5 shots.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
He further discredits his self by claiming one was a fouler shot...

Who knows or cares for that matter.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
But Krieger & many others will sell you a rifled cylindrical blank that you must do all the finishing on including clambering & installing the barrel extension.

Or buy a finished barrel from CLE with one of their 4 different chamber options.......Frank White & his team really do know a thing or 2 about barrels & chambering them right. He has blanks from Bartlien, Krieger, Douglas & Criterion.

MM

You know Frank is kind of retired now, he did not go to Perry this year. However, he did teach his son well.

Bartlein 1-7 from CLE with a Wylde Chamber.

The photo is from my last match for this year. After we shoot our 50 round match we hold a fun match at 300 yards. Five sighters, walk and paste, 15 for record. Can be shot with one box of ammo, we do it to encourage new shooters to join us. I shot this prone with a sling with a fair amount of wind. 1.17 moa at 300, not too bad for a service rifle with a 4.5 power scope.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I thought of turning one down from a large blank but it’s not worth my time.. I wanted one with the .750 gas ring step already cut.. but given three are 3-4 different lengths that becomes problematic.

AR folks tend to fall into “look at the brand name” before they try looking at trying to get it down to a 1/4 or less MOA.
Not to mention all the kitchen table gunsmiths who will give you a bunch of BS…

I’ll wait for TWR to show a few compeitions he won.. looks he’s too busy chasing nuts on the internet right now.

Thanks - I’ll check out CLE I hadn’t look at them.

Wilson (on the east coast) barrel maker said they’d do it if I order 30 or more.. they supply WOA.
I just wanted a blank contoured for a AR that I could do the chamber, extension threading & drill the gas hole….
I did check with Proof research as well - but they won’t do it either
- I won a proof barrel at one of the shoots last year - I picked a 6 creed AR-10, but would have rather chambered it myself.

I think most of them don’t want the liability of having someone else screw up a barrel extension with there head-stamp on the barrel - i get it.

Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560

The photo is from my last match for this year. After we shoot our 50 round match we hold a fun match at 300 yards. Five sighters, walk and paste, 15 for record. Can be shot with one box of ammo, we do it to encourage new shooters to join us. I shot this prone with a sling with a fair amount of wind. 1.17 moa at 300, not too bad for a service rifle with a 4.5 power scope.
Dang dude! I want to know the load too!

Last edited by Tyrone; 12/08/22.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good shooting Mike!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I haven’t shot high power for years - I don’t know when Compass Lake started selling direct.. maybe they always did and I just didn’t know.

Everyone is using CNC to make AR barrels … so it’s a deep step in and they are off…

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Mike70560

Dang dude! I want to know the load too!

LC 2006 Brass
7 1/2 Primers
24.7 Grains of Varget
80.5 Berger .012 off lands

It is pretty stout, as a disclaimer do not try this one at home without working up to it first. (I know you know that, Tyrone).

So a couple of weeks earlier, I shot the EIC (Leg) match the day after the Texas State Championship. Shot a 98 offhand, 99 sitting, 99 at 300 and went back to 600 in the lead, but shot a 192-11X and finished fourth. The 11xs told me my load was good, but shooting three 8's in the corner told me something is wrong with position. Ended up with a 488 which is a good score, but I should have been in the 490's.

So fast forward to the next match. It was a 200 yard reduced course and I shot it on my electronic target. Shot crappy offhand, cleaned sitting, then a 99 on rapid prone (called the nine). First shot on the 600 reduced was a 10, then an X, then I shot a pair of nines that were both almost eights. I realized what I was doing wrong. My head position/cheek weld was not consistent. Paid attention to that and cleaned the last 16 shots with 11 X's. After that is when I shot the 15 shot match with the target I posted, so I ended up shooting 31 shots in a row clean with 22Xs. The little things matter.

One reason I posted this (other than to brag a little) is that for 99.9% of shooters it is a waste of time trying to get a rifle to shoot a 3 or maybe 5 shot group in under a 1/4 MOA instead of 1/2 or even 3/4 MOA. The point is most gains can be made with the shooter especially in real world situations. BSA1917 shoots some fantastic groups off rests. He must have great technique because quite honestly I cannot do that. Most shooters could take his rifle/ammo and would double the group size. If we would learn how to really shoot, whether it is from a sling, rest, tree, sticks, whatever they would be far better served than chasing that 3 shot 1/4 MOA group or "most" accurate barrel, or "properly match grade" head spacing of the bolt on an AR.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A small change in cheek weld shrunk the group on the last 16 shots.

Last edited by Mike70560; 12/08/22.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
manufacturers may CNC produce barrels. But our smith sets up and chambers them and is anal to half a ten thousandth. Butch you taught him well.

How can break in make a barrel shoot better? Dunno. but I've done it and not, and when done barrels foul less and are easier to clean every time. Not enough to matter I supposed but break in does't take more than a few more minutes time basically.

I do know that after the first 100 shots our AR barrels tended to be settled into whatever they were going to be. But in the first 100 you sometimes wondered a bit...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Roost - I’m that way too -

I use a 1/10,000ths indicator .. and I don’t like seeing movement … depending on the light and a guys eyes you can get it WAY down under that…

Now only problem is - when I get it to not move at all I think it’s not touching the material.. LOL

For those that actually chamber - if you are using the Gritters method - the needle has to raise over the lands so there is no dead needle….
I.E. - subtle joke. smile

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/09/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can have the best made barrel in the world and it won't shoot worth a crap with otc ammo.
Accuracy has a lot to do with your loads, how you shoot
Etc.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.