Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Brad,

In my experience the Segway isn't as consistent as the Reticle-Tru, for a couple of reasons--primarily that small bubble-levels aren't always all that accurate. But the Segway beats some of the other gadgets on the market, which depend on a couple of bubble levels placed on parts of the rifle and scope that aren't always "square" themselves.

John

Hi John, I hear you on small bubble levels, but my Segway is an ancient model and lacks a bubble level. Really, I find a bubble level completely unnecessary anyway - if the reticle is leveled square to the scope base, that's all I really care about.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
My Segway doesn't have a bubble level? Must be the older model.
mine also .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using this Brownell‘s Exd tool and a plum line for years and find it the most accurate method for me.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ertical-reticle-instrument-prod6097.aspx

Last edited by IDMilton; 12/07/22.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's the ticket. You can have your gun set at a 45* angle and still mount it square to the bore. Nice shop!

Yes, it's so simple, even a monkey can do it.. The guy that invented that tool is pretty smart. Those that have never tried it, should invest in one. No plumb bobs or levels, just a rubber band that holds it securely to the scope and what you see in the picture. Extremely simple.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The bubble levels are so short in radius don’t think much of them maybe if they were like a carpenter level in length would be more useful. I have always just used my eyes leave both open and move back from the ocular lens far enough to see the action and possible the front sight if there is one. When one throws the rifle up to his shoulder due to clothing and one’s body shapes most likely things are not level anyway. Then throw in the likelyhood in a hunting situation where you are on a grade or slope and all this becomes much less relevant.
If you level a surface with one of these tiny levels and then use a precision machinists level on the same surface you discover they are not that accurate.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Stammster
Here’s what I do, which is a slight variance to what Fotis posted above.

Get the Wheeler kit with 2 levels that 1.) one that sits on any flat surface. 2.) one that clamps on the barrel.

Like this...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Mount the lower 1/2 of the Talley LWs to the receiver and torque. Place level #1 across the rings. Level gun. Clamp level #2 on barrel and align level #1 -both levels should read the same.
(Note: if you have a flat top anywhere on the receiver, you don’t need to align on the top of the 1/2 mounted rings - just place level #1 on the receiver)

Remove level #1 from lower portion of Talley LWs. Place scope with proper eye relief and install top 1/2s of Talley LW. Place level #1 on top of scope turret. Rotate scope to align with level #2 clamped to barrel. Finalize ring screw torque - note: scope might rotate a little so you may need to repeat.

Verify with plumb bob. Occasionally the top turret / cap may not have been level with the scope internals. If using a scope with a removable turret (ie CDS), I suggest loosening those screws and seat the turret cap fully.

Close to what I do. I use a long level on either the base or action. Then put the barrel clamp level on the barrel and adjust it to match the long level. The adjustment screw on the barrel level makes it very easy to adjust. At this point the level on the barrel will always let you know if it's level or not.

Following that I install the scope and align the reticle to a hanging orange piece of paracord that's weighted on the end. Make sure the barreled action is level with the level on the barrel and that the reticle is level with the paracord. On rifles I plan on shooting longer distance, I usually go ahead and put a bubble level on the scope at this time for reference when shooting.

If I'm using a pic base, I use playing cards when putting the scope in rings and check against the above....it usually gets it really close. Sometimes I'll use MK Machinings Rail Mounted level along with the others - it's turned out to be very true but I only have one if them and not all scopes are going on pic rails.

I own/use one of the Reticle-Tru's but prefer the level's. It works well, I just prefer the levels and hanging cord....I've already got the cord set up and a work top located to view it so it only takes a couple of minutes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use the wheeler double level kit. Am a hunter and rock shooter at distance. The wheeler will get a leve as need to be shooting off a pack or off my truck hood. moral of the story - depends on how you use your rifle is the answer.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guess I can't help but mention that the more complicated the tool/concept, the less likely it is to actually get the reticle square with the bore, every time. I know this due having used just about all the tools here--and they don't consistently work as well as the Reticle-Tru.

This is because the Reticle-Tru DIRECTLY compares the reticle with the center of the bore/action, rather than depending on several measurements that may or may not get there. And I have checked its results out with a "tall target test," which has turned out to be dead-nuts every time.

But whatever....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like my 30+ year old Segway leveler so well, I decided to try to find another since they're apparently no longer made. I Easily found one NIB on ebay. I'm now covered for the rest of my life smile

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Guess I can't help but mention that the more complicated the tool/concept, the less likely it is to actually get the reticle square with the bore, every time. I know this due having used just about all the tools here--and they don't consistently work as well as the Reticle-Tru.

This is because the Reticle-Tru DIRECTLY compares the reticle with the center of the bore/action, rather than depending on several measurements that may or may not get there. And I have checked its results out with a "tall target test," which has turned out to be dead-nuts every time.

But whatever....

I noticed the plastic Reticle-Tru isn't available right now. It's not inexpensive, but good things rarely are. If I were 20 years younger and in the height of rifle looneyism, I'd shuck out the $75. As it stands, most of my rifle experimentation is well behind me, so the old Segway is good enough.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.