Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
Originally Posted by deflave
If you can get within 100yds I’d use a .223 and 40gr. BT.

Dude, the op don't even own one.
I own several. And am waiting on a custom barrel for another. You can also follow my advice to deflave

Hey fuqkstick, you can eat the dog by shooting him first, it ain't necessary to trap him. I guess you just don't wanna waste any meat.

Being a soulless [bleep] i guess you just cant imagine somebody wanting to help a critter that drew a [bleep] up hand in life

BP-B2

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by AB2506
When I was an ACO in the 1990s, there were occasions when there were dogs we could not catch.

We had a large cage trap. Some dogs only took a day or two to trap, others took weeks and others were never trapped.

You want a very palatable food, usually canned. Have a dish of water and a blanket is not a bad idea.

If the dog is really skittish, you may want to propp the door
open for a couple of days so the dog adjusts to the trap as any noise or movement may spook them. Once the dog is comfortable eating in the trap, set the trap so the door will close.

Good luck, not every dog can be trapped.

Ive been thinking my next move is some canned bear meat rather than dog food. Especially if i have to resort to a trap.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wtf does ElAhrairah mean anyway?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Amazon has a box trap 26.4" X17.32" opening 58" long but the trigger is halfway in. Might need to redo the trigger or the door could fall on top of the dog and he would just back out and never go in again. A trap needs to work first time. A foot hold trap and a catch pole would work and you could lead him the 500 yards back home to a secure jail.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Wtf does ElAhrairah mean anyway?

Pretty sure you have internet. But if youre too lazy to look it up, there was a book called watership down. It was a book about rabbits. Elahrairah was the kind of trickster rabbit godlike figure that always outsmarted the "elil" (predators).

I do a lot of predator calling. I liked the idea of that name.

Dont like it? I think your names gay too.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Conibear
The above response applies to you too

You asked for a dog trap ..... this is the most effective one that I know of , works lightning fast and you only leave food out the one time, unless you intend to keep trapping in the area

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Well that problem is solved

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Conibear

You asked for a dog trap ..... this is the most effective one that I know of , works lightning fast and you only leave food out the one time, unless you intend to keep trapping in the area

Never met anybody that takes pride in being a heartless [bleep]. Bet you have lots of friends. You sick [bleep].

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good luck - make sure you get it the first time.

I had a couple (brother and sister) Lab mixes at one time. We live next to a state park, which at that time had an A-hole ranger (since fired). Anyway, my dogs would go the 500 yards or so down to the river to swim on hot days.

Ranger A-hole decided to trap them. Cost me $60 to get them back from the pound.

Once. They never went in Ranger A-hole's trap again.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If I were truly serious about this capture, I would camp out down there for as long as it took. I would have a modest campfire, set out copious amounts of food around the camp, some of it closer than others. If you know what direction he comes from, make a trail of food to the camp. Singing a few campfire songs around the fire couldn't hurt.

Or find a bitch in heat and camp with her in a kennel. Or use a jar of her piss appropriately.

I'm not kidding.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
If I were truly serious about this capture, I would camp out down there for as long as it took. I would have a modest campfire, set out copious amounts of food around the camp, some of it closer than others. If you know what direction he comes from, make a trail of food to the camp. Singing a few campfire songs around the fire couldn't hurt.

Or find a bitch in heat and camp with her in a kennel. Or use a jar of her piss appropriately.

I'm not kidding.

Not sure where id find a bitch in heat, let alone a jar of her piss. And i may have been referring to this dog as he, but just by default i guess. Could be a bitch, dont know. But really, i think if i cant get this figured out in a couple days, that might be a good idea. Bring a tent etc down, firewood, all that, bring food, wait him out. Hes sticking tight to the gravel pit along the road. Sure he got dumped right there, waiting for his family to come back. Maybe if i just camped out there all night with a fire and food, hed giveup his scaredy cat routine. Wouldnt be my first night camping in the winter. Would just feel a little strange doing it right down the road from my own house.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to tame him, then visit several times a day. Give him a name and call him by that and leave a little food each time you do, just a little though.
He'll figure it out

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Some folks board their bitch when she's in heat. Check vets, boarding facilities and breeders.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Anybody have experience getting a domestic dog in a cage trap? Any wisdom to share? This is a dog that appears to have been dumped off (not uncommon around here unfortunately) that im trying to help. Hes extremely skittish. Dangerous area for dogs to be dumped off (lions, wolves etc) and its wintertime to boot. Im feeding him but he wont let me get near him. Hes been sitting in the gravel pit on the side of my road (seems to be waiting for his people, who aint coming back) for a few days at least, but runs off into the woods, tail between his legs, if approached. He seems comfortable watching me from 100 yards or so. If i get any closer, he moves to maintain the distance. Looks to be about a medium 50-60lb mutt. Im going to try to round up a cage trap that size, if i can. But the impression that i hqve is that dogs are much more wary of cage traps than cats are. And this dog is particularly skittish.

I've had a similar experience with a dog where a live cage trap worked well for us. With all the other posts on this thread (some constructive and others not so much), I'm hesitant to go into details here but would be more than happy to discuss with you outside this thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Good luck - make sure you get it the first time.

Las is right. Usually you have one shot trapping a dog. If for any reason your efforts fail, the odds of the dog going in the trap again are infinitesimal.

We had the trap set to catch a setter. Setters have a long body. This dog was starving, but was super scared and untrusting of people. I happened to be checking the trap from a distance and saw the dog in the trap , stretching over the pan to reach the food. But it couldn’t reach the food, so eventually it stepped on the front of the pan. The movement of the pan and the noise of the falling door spooked it. With that long body and stretching to reach over the pan, its butt was right beside the door. When it spooked, it jumped backwards before the door was fully down. It was fast enough that its butt gave the falling door a good rap such that it bounced up, even though the lock rings were half way down. The dog was able to escape. I never got it to enter the trap again.

I don’t recall the resolution as I believe I was rotated to another part of the City as we were every 6-12 months. Also that was 96-97 or their abouts. That’s nearly 25 years ago, I can’t remember everything.

Last edited by AB2506; 12/08/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

I'm not kidding.

Not sure where id find a bitch in heat, let alone a jar of her piss. And i may have been referring to this dog as he, but just by default i guess. Could be a bitch, dont know. But really, i think if i cant get this figured out in a couple days, that might be a good idea. Bring a tent etc down, firewood, all that, bring food, wait him out. Hes sticking tight to the gravel pit along the road. Sure he got dumped right there, waiting for his family to come back. Maybe if i just camped out there all night with a fire and food, hed giveup his scaredy cat routine. Wouldnt be my first night camping in the winter. Would just feel a little strange doing it right down the road from my own house.

Your mom , duh !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It was a book about rabbits. Elahrairah was the kind of trickster rabbit godlike figure that always outsmarted the "elil" (predators).

I do a lot of predator calling. I liked the idea of that name.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

El Ahrairah, I wish you cunning, speed and luck to bring forth the frightened one in the wild and to bring him forth and share teachings of love and life and joy with him.

I read Adams' WD when I was about 8, and it has stayed with me all the these decades later. I still occasionally dream of Hazel, BigWig, Clover, Blackberry and Bluebell. If you end up catching your friend, I'm good for some food and medical care donations. All in exchange for a picture or two. I am serious. Good luck and do persevere. I bet it might be very much worth your efforts.

Thanks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
May sound silly but you might try getting the dog to trust you by playing with it, like maybe with just a plain old tennis ball. Never know if you don't try... so far nothing else has worked. Can't make it any worse than it already is.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Conibear

LMAO

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
If you can get within 100yds I’d use a .223 and 40gr. BT.

Kill yourself [bleep]

Take it easy, LT Dunbar.

Maybe ask Stands with Fist for a hand job.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
472 members (1Longbow, 160user, 30378, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.