Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Diesel
Dying is not to worry about. We all are going do it. It's the living part that can be sporty.

Being lucky enough to live this long makes me feel obligated to put some serious thought into the best use of the last quarter.

If 70 is 3/4 then 93.3 is full.

83.7 is my internet life expectancy.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Turning 70 had no effect on me however turning 80 was a whole different game. I am now 83 now and the last three years are really starting to tell on me, but I am not ready to quit yet. I just do things slower and smarter (sometimes).

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm 74 Some things mean more and some less.
I started a workout program after P T for a knee, I never skip a day if I'm in town. It's helped a bunch. I've actually have hard muscles again.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Got about 5 weeks left before I find out

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every day I make it out of bed is a deal changer.

LOL
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Don’t let the old man in.

Toby Keith’s song has some good lyrics in it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Houston_2

I worked real hard at that, but he must have snuck in the back door.

No particular problems at 70. Little bit more at 75. In 2018 I killed a nice bull at about 11,000 feet elevation on a solo hunt.That just about used me up. In a year, my knees went, lungs got worse. Felt like every joint in my body wore out. Now on extra O2 since last February, , stroke this past July, ticker isn't ticking right. No elk hunt this past season. 79 now.

Both parents lived until 92-93.You sure do get a different perspective when you can count the rest of your years on your fingers.

If I can get around, I'm going elk hunting next year.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/07/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Turned 70 last month. After a lot of heavy lifting since I was young and walking a million miles on pavement my knees and shoulders have started to wear out. Just slowed me down some but still keeping up with the cows, pasture and fencing myself.

A sharp pain in my upper back woke me straight up at 4:30am this morning, couldn’t get comfortable then the pain moved to my upper chest/shoulder. Got up, took 2 Tylenol, laid back down and back to sleep. Shoulder and chest sore today. I guess I pulled a muscle in my sleep.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't remember it was long ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 4 short years to go.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You youngins' are up late!! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well no one has said it so I will. If I'd of known that I'd live this long I would have taken better care of my self!!! No more 12 mile hikes up the trapline, (atv) no more magnum calibers (6BR& under) no staying up late (early to bed) no more chasing hounds (someone younger) snow shoes (🤣) I no there's something else ah,hmm can't remember!!!! GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When I turned 68 my balance/equilibrium went to h ell, can't walk in the woods without constant fear of falling. I've been working with a group of Physical Therapists whose specialty is balance and equilibrium, so far things look promising that they'll be able to help improve things. May not be able to get back to baseline but any improvement will be welcome.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I turn 78 in Feb. I feel good, and get around okay, and I can still lie about it.
I know if I stop shoveling snow, I would probably last longer!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll be 70 in a bit less than a month. All my life I've had little patience with idiots, and Jesus, it's getting worse the older I get. I can't watch the news without wanting to throw a beer bottle through the TV.

Still getting around ok, the new hip a few years ago helped a lot, cutting a chunk cut out of my gut allowed me to resume eating any old crap I wanted to and the new lens in the eye a couple months ago lets me see that crap. Bad habits in my youth screwed me up (note to self, if you get a do-over DO NOT run cross-country, marathons, and 5 miles every day because you will pay out the ass for it 40 years later when your hip and knee joints start crapping out).

I'm past the age all my forebears made it to, which is my personal bellweather. My ability to get in and out of low slung British sportscars is another one - when that ability goes away, I'm outta here.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Houston_2

I worked real hard at that, but he must have snuck in the back door.

No particular problems at 70. Little bit more at 75. In 2018 I killed a nice bull at about 11,000 feet elevation on a solo hunt.That just about used me up. In a year, my knees went, lungs got worse. Felt like every joint in my body wore out. Now on extra O2 since last February, , stroke this past July, ticker isn't ticking right. No elk hunt this past season. 79 now.

Both parents lived until 92-93.You sure do get a different perspective when you can count the rest of your years on your fingers.

If I can get around, I'm going elk hunting next year.

Good post.

Yessir, Perspectives do certainly change.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MTGunner
70 was a breeze. Hunted bighorn sheep with a friend at 72 up to 10,500 feet in the Beartooths. Now, 75 is something else again. Find that my desire is waning a bit. MTG

that sounds like an accomplishment to me!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
When I turned 68 my balance/equilibrium went to h ell, can't walk in the woods without constant fear of falling. I've been working with a group of Physical Therapists whose specialty is balance and equilibrium, so far things look promising that they'll be able to help improve things. May not be able to get back to baseline but any improvement will be welcome.
Trekking poles are a wonderful thing for poor balance. Even using 1 pole makes a huge difference. Now, if you can't pick up your feet, that's another issue entirely.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
70 not much at all, but at about 77 some stuff started to act up/break down - two different serious events in a three or four year span. The 80s much more telling. Every day is a gift - and a challenge to prioritize, keep going at a decent rate and accomplish as many goals as possible. We all differ - only God does not.

Paul, I admire your outlook and I wish Dad had your same perspective. He's 83 and very difficult to be around. He's a mean SOB and treats Mom terribly. He's ready to die and he's taking it out on those that are closest to him. Won't take his meds (pancreatic cancer & diabetes), stands in front of the open 'fridge eating chocolate 7 or 8 times a day and his blood sugar is sky high. I'm leaving Big D tomorrow to head back to EP for a while and Mom had a special steak dinner planned for us. Dad got into it with my younger brother and said some really hurtful things to him. Brother fought back and it was terrible - he left with my nephew and refused to break bread with Dad. I guess Dad's not interested in seeing his granddaughter again. Mom tries and tries to help him and he's just a mean bastard to everyone - especially her. Hollering every night. Lots of cussing as well. Nothing to be done about it either.

You would think that someone in his position whose time is very limited would make an effort to get closer to his family and make the most of whatever time he has left. Nope. Not him.

The good news is that I have 2 meatloaf sammiches in the cooler ready for the road.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/07/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It didn't change my perspective but it sure changed by knee joints, my urinary habits, my energy, my......

Yep

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.