OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Front sight blades interchangeable?

GB1

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Interchange, yes. Correctly regulated? Probably not. The front sights come in different heights luckily so you can regulate.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If too tall, always regulate it a 'touch' with a file before noticeably stubby. Have a care if adjusting to such as handloads, etc., The whole aft sight assembly "factory gradient regulation" may suffer!
Just my amateur two cents!
Best!
John

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks but gonna have to get a taller one.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Who's front sight would you use? I have a husky model 46 in 9.3x57mm mauser that could use a taller front sight. Noticed a few on Flea Bay

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GPC has lots of different front sight height options listed under the M38.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In the past I glued a skinny piece of beer can onto milsurp front sight blades and cut them back until my shots were hitting "in the zone", then secured taller front sights that matched the new "required" height - once by buying one from Numrich (and I have no idea if they still sell them), and once by filing a new sight out of a small chunk of steel (it's not as hard as you might think). I had no welder, or the skill to use one, or I would've simply extended the height of the original ones.

What the heck were military minds thinking when they instituted the concept of "battle sights" that focused hits on a minimum 500 yards away leaving us moderns to have to deal with high points of impact at 50-150 yards? (Yeah, I know why, but still....) Not much chance of me needing to plop bullets into massed Hun formations a quarter mile away.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I axed that same question some years back on Gunboards, Milsurps....the gurus there haughtily informed me that most countries, the training in Europe/Scan. used a center mass belt buckle sight picture. Makes sense I suppose if everyone is bravely standing upright without cover or concealment. Also we must consider that historically, Sweden sat out the conflicts of the last 200 plus years, and even then it was with the neighbors in Norway in 1814.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If Paul Mauser had realized that the best rifle he ever designed was going to lose two world wars and then get sold to a bunch of Americans, I'm sure he would have made it more sporterizable.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I actually prefer the '96 swedish mauser over a large ring '98, though it could do without the flop top safety. Paul should have envisioned the three position safety long ago

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I actually prefer the '96 swedish mauser over a large ring '98, though it could do without the flop top safety. Paul should have envisioned the three position safety long ago

The safety is a three position safety. Just not one that plays well with scopes. But, that makes sense since the Millitary versions weren't intended to be scoped.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
By three position safety, I meant Win model 70 style. Understand the current one is a three position safety, only doesn't work well with scopes. The bolt handle swings too high as well. But as far as being well made from excellent steel and being ultra reliable I'd have to give a model 46 Husqvarna the nod over a 700, or a model 70 if called upon in a dangerous situation. Now if I can get a few minor tweaks made to the front sight and eventually the safety I believe it'll be all set.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
To each his own. smile

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
To each his own. smile

Ha! I'd say you can expect a few very opinionated opinions round the fire. But speaking from personal experience I kinda like the older steel on a Husky, or 1903 Springfield.

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Who's front sight would you use? I have a husky model 46 in 9.3x57mm mauser that could use a taller front sight. Noticed a few on Flea Bay

Your M46 has a front sight that is dovetailed lengthwise not cross wise as is the M96. That sight blade will not work.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by z1r

Your M46 has a front sight that is dovetailed lengthwise not cross wise as is the M96. That sight blade will not work.

What about the one in the above link?

Or below:
https://www.sarcoinc.com/swedish-mauser-high-front-sight/

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
If too tall, always regulate it a 'touch' with a file before noticeably stubby. Have a care if adjusting to such as handloads, etc., The whole aft sight assembly "factory gradient regulation" may suffer!
Just my amateur two cents!
Best!
John

Great advice. The last time I did this, it went "noticeably stubby" too fast. Well, that happens when you take the Milwaukee cordless angle grinder with a flappy wheel to the range. Sometimes I just don't have the patience for a file.. Good thing I bought an extra one!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
In the past I glued a skinny piece of beer can onto milsurp front sight blades and cut them back until my shots were hitting "in the zone", then secured taller front sights that matched the new "required" height - once by buying one from Numrich (and I have no idea if they still sell them), and once by filing a new sight out of a small chunk of steel (it's not as hard as you might think). I had no welder, or the skill to use one, or I would've simply extended the height of the original ones.

What the heck were military minds thinking when they instituted the concept of "battle sights" that focused hits on a minimum 500 yards away leaving us moderns to have to deal with high points of impact at 50-150 yards? (Yeah, I know why, but still....) Not much chance of me needing to plop bullets into massed Hun formations a quarter mile away.

I agree gnoahhhh. Weird how they regulated them for so far out. When I first got my m96, I bought it for my clubs military rifle shoots. The damn thing was shooting so high, that I had to aim at the freaking target board at the bottom edge of the target. About 11 inches low to make a center hit on the x ring. I ended up winning the match, but it was not perfect. One smart azzed new member there, that didn't know me very well, asked why my hits were a little low. I told him "I just bought the rifle and the front sight is too low, so I am aiming about 12" low on the target, I'm lucky to be getting them anywhere near the X ring"!!!!! He's an old Air Borne Ranger and ex attorney, so there's 2 dings against him. He's a good friend now though.. Also, I know the OP has been down the front sight road before. He asked the same question about a year ago, but that was concerning a m96 I believe..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.